Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
apup102
macrumors newbie

Question How long does the iPhone 5 permit me to record video?

I have a choir recital coming up on the 19th, and my mom wants me to set her up with one of my (many) cameras to record it with. My two point-and-shoots don't have good sound quality, and she wouldn't understand my DSLR in a million years. Therefore, I'm considering letting her use my iPhone 5.

The recital is expected to run 30-45 minutes. On a full battery, would this be doable? Also, approximately how big of a file would this be? I have the 16GB version and I am cleaning it out today, so I'll have probably 10+ GB leftover.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apup102 View Post
I have a choir recital coming up on the 19th, and my mom wants me to set her up with one of my (many) cameras to record it with. My two point-and-shoots don't have good sound quality, and she wouldn't understand my DSLR in a million years. Therefore, I'm considering letting her use my iPhone 5.

The recital is expected to run 30-45 minutes. On a full battery, would this be doable? Also, approximately how big of a file would this be? I have the 16GB version and I am cleaning it out today, so I'll have probably 10+ GB leftover.
youllbe fine, your battery will be no where near dying and you will have enough memory
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular

Lower the screen brightness and put it in airplane mode, and make sure it's got plenty of memory.

Do a test recording to be sure.

I take a lot of video with the iPhone of my baby boy and it was the main reason I got the 64
LightOnAHill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:21 AM   #4
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

When I had the 4S,it automatically shut down after some 30 mins of non-stop recording, and it was very warm-some hot warning was displayed. Though it still had 40% charge left.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:15 AM   #5
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

I would be more concerned with how big the file would be and having enough space. I'm actually kinda curious cause I've had like 10 second clips that were around 30mb but I'm assuming the iPhone can record for atleast an hour straight or we would of heard complaints by now.

(edit; just noticed the post above mine haha)
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
TooLowToZero
macrumors newbie

I made a recording last week for the duration of 90 mins, but the file size was massive. Good thing I have 32gb on my iPhone 5
TooLowToZero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:47 PM   #7
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

A feq quick tests shows video recording at about 6mb per minute. This can be somewhat variable based on what is going on in the shot, the sound being recorded, etc. Either way, even if we are being safe an multiplying this number five times, that gives us under 1GB for half an hour of recording. In other words, don't stress.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone