Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apup102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Seattle
I have a choir recital coming up on the 19th, and my mom wants me to set her up with one of my (many) cameras to record it with. My two point-and-shoots don't have good sound quality, and she wouldn't understand my DSLR in a million years. Therefore, I'm considering letting her use my iPhone 5.

The recital is expected to run 30-45 minutes. On a full battery, would this be doable? Also, approximately how big of a file would this be? I have the 16GB version and I am cleaning it out today, so I'll have probably 10+ GB leftover.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have a choir recital coming up on the 19th, and my mom wants me to set her up with one of my (many) cameras to record it with. My two point-and-shoots don't have good sound quality, and she wouldn't understand my DSLR in a million years. Therefore, I'm considering letting her use my iPhone 5.

The recital is expected to run 30-45 minutes. On a full battery, would this be doable? Also, approximately how big of a file would this be? I have the 16GB version and I am cleaning it out today, so I'll have probably 10+ GB leftover.

youllbe fine, your battery will be no where near dying and you will have enough memory

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Lower the screen brightness and put it in airplane mode, and make sure it's got plenty of memory.

Do a test recording to be sure.

I take a lot of video with the iPhone of my baby boy and it was the main reason I got the 64

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
When I had the 4S,it automatically shut down after some 30 mins of non-stop recording, and it was very warm-some hot warning was displayed. Though it still had 40% charge left.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I would be more concerned with how big the file would be and having enough space. I'm actually kinda curious cause I've had like 10 second clips that were around 30mb but I'm assuming the iPhone can record for atleast an hour straight or we would of heard complaints by now.

(edit; just noticed the post above mine haha)

TooLowToZero

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
I made a recording last week for the duration of 90 mins, but the file size was massive. Good thing I have 32gb on my iPhone 5

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A feq quick tests shows video recording at about 6mb per minute. This can be somewhat variable based on what is going on in the shot, the sound being recorded, etc. Either way, even if we are being safe an multiplying this number five times, that gives us under 1GB for half an hour of recording. In other words, don't stress. :)

Rembrand

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
I video taped slightly under 90 minutes of footage yesterday on my iPhone5, but when I go to upload it to a PC, it does not show up in the photo/video files on my iPhone5. It is viewable on the phone, but doesn't show up when attempting to upload it.

The usage on my phone is over 6GB, with only photos comprising the rest of the data, so the video is saved on the phone.

Just need to figure out how to now get the video onto a PC, or a Mac.

Any suggestions?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I video taped slightly under 90 minutes of footage yesterday on my iPhone5, but when I go to upload it to a PC, it does not show up in the photo/video files on my iPhone5. It is viewable on the phone, but doesn't show up when attempting to upload it.

The usage on my phone is over 6GB, with only photos comprising the rest of the data, so the video is saved on the phone.

Just need to figure out how to now get the video onto a PC, or a Mac.

Any suggestions?

On a Mac open the 'Photos' application (on Yosemite) or the 'iPhoto' application on earlier OSs. It should be visible there and you can import it.

Rembrand

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
Thanks! Any suggestions for a PC? That is what I am on now. My Mac is in another location at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.