Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapollo2112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a little bit stuck and would appreciate a little help with XBMC on my Apple TV 2. I have always used Plex before but I understand Plex won't work on an ATV2 running the latest version on iOS

I've successfully jailbroke the ATV2 and installed XMBC on both the ATV and my iMac. The problem I have is configuring XBMC on the Apple TV2 to connect with my media folder on my iMac.

I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube but so far I have had no success. I have a media folder on my iMac called itunes media (with sub folders for music,films etc) on an internal drive, ideally all I need is XBMC on the Apple TV to see that folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

If you need any more info please ask...

EDIT.. The Apple TV and the iMac are on the same network.

Scooterpig

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Home
You can still run Plex on ATV2 using 5.02 as Apple are still signing that.

So with SeasonPass just right click on Create IPSW and select 5.0.2 and then sou will be able to install Plex :)

mapollo2112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
You can still run Plex on ATV2 using 5.02 as Apple are still signing that.

So with SeasonPass just right click on Create IPSW and select 5.0.2 and then sou will be able to install Plex :)

aah right. I've downloaded SeasonPass again and I can see how that would work. At least I now have a work around, thanks.

I wouldn't mind giving XBMC a try though just out of curiosity so I'll hang on a few hours and see if someone can help me sort XBMC out. Thanks though...

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Enable "Sharing" on the folder, then access the files via afp from XBMC. If the media were purchased via iTunes (protected), you can set XBMC to receive AirPlay then set iTunes to send the output to the XBMC device from the list.

Hope this helps

mapollo2112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for your help.

I have re jailbroke my ATV2 and "gone back" to 5.0.2 and installed Plex from there. All working great and I can once again stream .mkv from my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.