Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hey
I'm having a problem with my External HD (Seagate backup plus 2TB), first of all I have 2 partitions- one for Time machine and the other for file storage.
Now, after few time machine backups appears the message:
"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder."

After this message appears I can't eject the HD with out getting a message that I need force eject it, and I can't do repair or verify disk.

I checked the log:
Mar 16 10:58:48 eddies-imac com.apple.backupd[1154]: Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/TimeMachine/Backups.backupdb/Eddie Rudoy’s iMac size:37
Mar 16 10:58:58 eddies-imac com.apple.backupd[1154]: Backup failed with error: 2

it's very frustrating problem, so I would be glad if someone could help me solve this problem.

Thank you :)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I had the same issue with a Seagate Goflex 2TB USB drive. After an unfortunate amount of wasted time and effort I ultimately gave up and replaced it with a Western Digital Passport which has been working perfectly for weeks now.

When I say I spent a lot of time on this issue I am not fooling. I wasted many hours on it, including multiple calls to Apple support, scouring the Internet for info (finding many others had similar issues with this drive) and eventually deciding it was not worth pursuing further.

The drive still works for storing data but it is not reliable with Time Machine and the problem seems to be it turns itself off and disconnects even after running Seagate's own utility to disable the power saving feature. When I wrote to Seagate about this they offered to replace the drive with a Mac-specific model. Having already replaced it I probably won't bother. I also won't purchase Seagate again for a drive intended for use with Time Machine.

So again, my advice is to bite the bullet and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation for a problem that is not solvable with anything less than hardware replacement - just do it. Get a new drive. I can tell you the Western Digital portable 1TB USB works like a charm with Time Machine. I bought the standard one (not Mac-specific) and just formatted it with Disk Utility and voila, good to go. This drive cost me under 80 bucks on Amazon.com and was highly rated by other customers there.

I know it sucks needing to replace it but in the end you will need to do this. So why not save time and sanity and give yourself a break by doing it now? No need to learn the hard way like I did.

By the way, Apple recommends using a dedicated drive with a single partition with Time Machine. I asked why and got a vague reply about it being more reliable in general. This was why I went with a 1TB replacement for the Western Digital and dedicated it to Time Machine backups. The Seagate is still in use just to manually copy data for archival purposes and it does seem to be working fine for that purpose.

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hey
I'm having a problem with my External HD (Seagate backup plus 2TB), first of all I have 2 partitions- one for Time machine and the other for file storage.
Now, after few time machine backups appears the message:
"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder."

After this message appears I can't eject the HD with out getting a message that I need force eject it, and I can't do repair or verify disk.

I checked the log:
Mar 16 10:58:48 eddies-imac com.apple.backupd[1154]: Error: (22) setxattr for key:com.apple.backupd.HostUUID path:/Volumes/TimeMachine/Backups.backupdb/Eddie Rudoy’s iMac size:37
Mar 16 10:58:58 eddies-imac com.apple.backupd[1154]: Backup failed with error: 2

it's very frustrating problem, so I would be glad if someone could help me solve this problem.

Thank you :)

You need to check out Pondini's Time Machine Troubleshooting Guide, the best guide for helping on TM issues there is. The link is:

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

iEddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I had the same issue with a Seagate Goflex 2TB USB drive. After an unfortunate amount of wasted time and effort I ultimately gave up and replaced it with a Western Digital Passport which has been working perfectly for weeks now.

When I say I spent a lot of time on this issue I am not fooling. I wasted many hours on it, including multiple calls to Apple support, scouring the Internet for info (finding many others had similar issues with this drive) and eventually deciding it was not worth pursuing further.

The drive still works for storing data but it is not reliable with Time Machine and the problem seems to be it turns itself off and disconnects even after running Seagate's own utility to disable the power saving feature. When I wrote to Seagate about this they offered to replace the drive with a Mac-specific model. Having already replaced it I probably won't bother. I also won't purchase Seagate again for a drive intended for use with Time Machine.

So again, my advice is to bite the bullet and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation for a problem that is not solvable with anything less than hardware replacement - just do it. Get a new drive. I can tell you the Western Digital portable 1TB USB works like a charm with Time Machine. I bought the standard one (not Mac-specific) and just formatted it with Disk Utility and voila, good to go. This drive cost me under 80 bucks on Amazon.com and was highly rated by other customers there.

I know it sucks needing to replace it but in the end you will need to do this. So why not save time and sanity and give yourself a break by doing it now? No need to learn the hard way like I did.

By the way, Apple recommends using a dedicated drive with a single partition with Time Machine. I asked why and got a vague reply about it being more reliable in general. This was why I went with a 1TB replacement for the Western Digital and dedicated it to Time Machine backups. The Seagate is still in use just to manually copy data for archival purposes and it does seem to be working fine for that purpose.

oh....well thats sucks...I'll see how it will work with one partition only for backup..thanks for your comment!

You need to check out Pondini's Time Machine Troubleshooting Guide, the best guide for helping on TM issues there is. The link is:

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I've checked this site already, I did all what is says..rest and all that and nothing came useful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.