Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
As requested, here's my experience in its own thread. Ultimately, I'll be jailbreaking and looking for advice on what apps to download in jailbreak to make my experience better. Thanks in advance.

HISTORY: Previous iPhone 4S owner, then switched to Galaxy Nexus, then to Nexus 4. You can read about my N4 experiences in the Nexus 4 Owners Thread (long story short: bad, disappointing). Also an iPad 3rd gen owner, so I'm not unfamiliar with iOS 6, but as y'all know, using iOS on an iPad for leisure is vastly different than using iOS as a smartphone for work, everyday use, etc.

My recent disappointments with Android's offerings this year (so far) coupled with my recent return of multiple Nexus 4 devices has left me looking at iOS again to either be a) my smartphone to tie me over until I change my mind about the S4, or b) my return to iOS for the foreseeable future.

THOUGHTS:

-Boy do I miss the dedicated back button. Sure iOS has a button that takes you back but it's not always in the same place. Sometimes it's upper left, sometimes it's lower left (Safari's back button), sometimes it's upper right, and other times it's a "Cancel" button in the lower middle of the screen. You have to search for it, instead of just having muscle memory of tapping back. I post example pictures:

Sometimes the only way to go back is the upper right:

srCknzg.png

Other times, it's a cancel button bottom of the screen (you cannot tap elsewhere on the screen to get out of this):

uYbjJch.png

And in Safari, it's lower left to go back a page:

Cvm222I.png

-Also miss the dedicated menu button. Goodness gracious, iOS Settings is a mess! It's honestly difficult to find certain things. And I hate how you have to leave an app in order to go to the iOS Settings to get to that app's settings. It's... so counterintuitive. Then, once in a while, you'll have an app like Gmail or Facebook where there are no settings in the iOS Settings screen. It's actually in the app, so you feel like a fool going to look for it in the iOS Settings screen. Very inconsistent.

-Why does the App Store keep asking me for my password every time I download something? It's so annoying. I already registered the device and signed into iTunes/App Store with my Apple ID. Make it stop.

-Scrolling in Safari is dreadfully slow. The elastic flicking method is cute, but grows old very fast. Anytime you want to navigate to the end of a page, or scroll anywhere remotely farther, up or down, is a laborious waiting game of flicking and flicking and flicking. I can't stress how silly it feels doing this on the most advance operating system in the world.

-While the keyboard has been faring okay, it's still no where as easy to use as Swiftkey. Boy, do I miss swiping. The iOS keyboard with its narrow screen BEGS for swiping abilities. Everything on this keyboard feels so "manual". That's the best way for me to describe it. You have to really labor to get what you want to type and what symbols you want out. I miss predictions: Swiftkey used to finish sentences for me. It's such a breeze tapping once to get a full word onto the screen. The one plus, I gotta say, is I love editing with iOS. Something about the cursor placement is more accurate. I also love Shortcuts. In my opinion, stock Android keyboard does shortcuts wrong (they shouldn't be suggestions in the suggestion bar. They should just automatically change it to the word you want).

-Small thing, but I miss my scrollable wallpaper. iOS looks so static and dead. :( It's really kind of sad.

-All Mail is nice, but it's kind of annoying you can't immediately tell which mailbox the email you're looking at is from. It's annoying that emails are only partially downloaded too. I have to click "download" toward the bottom to get more of it. What the heck is that? It also has to load any old mail or mail in other Labels. With Gmail, your entire mailbox (literally) was available instantaneously.

-BIG MISS: Notification light. I hate having to keep turning the device on just to see if I've got anything waiting for me. This is such a useful feature. To all those people who keep talking about how Apple doesn't implement something until people are ready for it or until they can do it right, here's a perfect example of that philosophy being utter BS. Notification light is majorly useful and it's not hard to get a simple light "right."

-I miss not being able to toggle the lock screen on/off. It really sucks having to put in my lock code every single time I access my phone, even if I don't need it, say like when I'm at home. On Android, you can do this, and so when you're at home, you toggle off your lock screen, thus allowing instant access to your phone.

-Another thing that irks me: Notifications. The little flippy thing that comes down from the top of the screen is so obnoxious. No offense, but I don't know how anyone can accept that this is all Apple could come up with to notify you. It literally blocks any access to the buttons on top. How is blocking something part of Apple's software philosophy? And since the "back" or "cancel" buttons are usually at the top, you have to either wait for it to go away, or swipe it away first. It's so dreadfully unintuitive. I can't believe this is what Apple software developers, after a year, came up with. This is all they could offer? Likewise, when you're on a call, and you want to navigate back to your home screen and/or apps, the green "In a call" thing on top pushes everything down. It's really kind of ridiculous.

-Screen size: actually okay. I thought this would be a bigger issue going back to the smaller 4" screen, but it so far hasn't bothered me terribly. I do feel it though when I'm looking at NYC subway map apps, or the Apple Maps app, or when browsing certain things. But it's not as horrendous as I thought it would be. I have said this before: the iPhone would be glorious with a larger screen. That day will hopefully come soon. And it's no joke a serious change from the 4S screen. Just like going from 4" to 4.5" would make a huge difference, going from 3.5" to 4" is a huge difference, too. The size of the actual device itself, though, is still awkward to me. So narrow... feels like I'm holding a candy bar.

-Design: hard not to fall in love. Let's face it, this is a sort of the ugly child of the former all glass 4S and the aluminum of Apple's iPad and modern day laptops. It's a sort of ugly mesh of them, but it somehow... works. It's hard not to be enamored by such a cute little device. The edges, especially, are captivatingly stunning. I got it in white, by the way.

-Hate the physical home button, but it definitely feels "sturdier" than I remember the 4S being. I just can't help but feel that every time I tap it, that's one closer tap to failure I'm getting it to. By the way, I'm using the phone 100% naked. It's wild.

I don't know what more I can say. In short, everything about iOS is so laborious and manual. Everything just REEKS of limitations. Even the new Lightning cable is annoyingly short.

Jailbreak to come soon...

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
As requested, here's my experience in its own thread. Ultimately, I'll be jailbreaking and looking for advice on what apps to download in jailbreak to make my experience better. Thanks in advance.

HISTORY: Previous iPhone 4S owner, then switched to Galaxy Nexus, then to Nexus 4. You can read about my N4 experiences in the Nexus 4 Owners Thread (long story short: bad, disappointing). Also an iPad 3rd gen owner, so I'm not unfamiliar with iOS 6, but as y'all know, using iOS on an iPad for leisure is vastly different than using iOS as a smartphone for work, everyday use, etc.

My recent disappointments with Android's offerings this year (so far) coupled with my recent return of multiple Nexus 4 devices has left me looking at iOS again to either be a) my smartphone to tie me over until I change my mind about the S4, or b) my return to iOS for the foreseeable future.

THOUGHTS:

-Boy do I miss the dedicated back button. Sure iOS has a button that takes you back but it's not always in the same place. Sometimes it's upper left, sometimes it's lower left (Safari's back button), sometimes it's upper right, and other times it's a "Cancel" button in the lower middle of the screen. You have to search for it, instead of just having muscle memory of tapping back. I post example pictures:

Sometimes the only way to go back is the upper right:

srCknzg.png

Other times, it's a cancel button bottom of the screen (you cannot tap elsewhere on the screen to get out of this):

uYbjJch.png

And in Safari, it's lower left to go back a page:

Cvm222I.png

It's what you're used to, I think. I don't have a major preference either way. When I use the Nexus 7 after not using it for a while, I miss not having on screen buttons and using the back button seems odd, and I'm sure the same would apply vice versa if I didn't use iOS for a while.

-Also miss the dedicated menu button. Goodness gracious, iOS Settings is a mess! It's honestly difficult to find certain things. And I hate how you have to leave an app in order to go to the iOS Settings to get to that app's settings. It's... so counterintuitive. Then, once in a while, you'll have an app like Gmail or Facebook where there are no settings in the iOS Settings screen. It's actually in the app, so you feel like a fool going to look for it in the iOS Settings screen. Very inconsistent.

Facebook was probably not the best example because it has settings both in-app and in the iOS settings app, but I understand what you're saying. I don't think it's counter-intuitive to go into the settings app to change settings, but that's just me. Time consuming maybe, but definitely not counter-intuitive :p

-Why does the App Store keep asking me for my password every time I download something? It's so annoying. I already registered the device and signed into iTunes/App Store with my Apple ID. Make it stop.

If you go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Require Password > 15 minutes does that make a difference?

-Scrolling in Safari is dreadfully slow. The elastic flicking method is cute, but grows old very fast. Anytime you want to navigate to the end of a page, or scroll anywhere remotely farther, up or down, is a laborious waiting game of flicking and flicking and flicking. I can't stress how silly it feels doing this on the most advance operating system in the world.

Agreed. Getting back up is great, but scrolling down is a pain on a long page. Perhaps they could add a two finger scroll to accelerate. Changing the default behaviour might annoy people who like the current method.

-While the keyboard has been faring okay, it's still no where as easy to use as Swiftkey. Boy, do I miss swiping. The iOS keyboard with its narrow screen BEGS for swiping abilities. Everything on this keyboard feels so "manual". That's the best way for me to describe it. You have to really labor to get what you want to type and what symbols you want out. I miss predictions: Swiftkey used to finish sentences for me. It's such a breeze tapping once to get a full word onto the screen. The one plus, I gotta say, is I love editing with iOS. Something about the cursor placement is more accurate. I also love Shortcuts. In my opinion, stock Android keyboard does shortcuts wrong (they shouldn't be suggestions in the suggestion bar. They should just automatically change it to the word you want).

SwiftKey is far better than any other keyboard I've ever used. I don't mind the iOS keyboard but would prefer it if word suggestions were more like Android/SwiftKey.

-Small thing, but I miss my scrollable wallpaper. iOS looks so static and dead. :( It's really kind of sad.

I like scrolling wallpapers too. :)

-All Mail is nice, but it's kind of annoying you can't immediately tell which mailbox the email you're looking at is from. It's annoying that emails are only partially downloaded too. I have to click "download" toward the bottom to get more of it. What the heck is that? It also has to load any old mail or mail in other Labels. With Gmail, your entire mailbox (literally) was available instantaneously.

Agreed - would be nice to see which inboxes emails are in in the combined one.

I suspect the download button is because of data allowances. You can usually tell if you need to read the entire e-mail based on the preview.

-BIG MISS: Notification light. I hate having to keep turning the device on just to see if I've got anything waiting for me. This is such a useful feature. To all those people who keep talking about how Apple doesn't implement something until people are ready for it or until they can do it right, here's a perfect example of that philosophy being utter BS. Notification light is majorly useful and it's not hard to get a simple light "right."

It kinda has this, but it's not so useful. Settings > General > Accessibility > LED flash for alerts. If your phone is screen up, the screen will turn on for notifications, otherwise the camera LED will flash. No idea how bright this is as I haven't used it. The reason it's not so useful is because you need to put the phone completely into silent mode and turn off vibration for it to work.

-I miss not being able to toggle the lock screen on/off. It really sucks having to put in my lock code every single time I access my phone, even if I don't need it, say like when I'm at home. On Android, you can do this, and so when you're at home, you toggle off your lock screen, thus allowing instant access to your phone.

There was a workaround for this but Apple blocked it. No idea why they're so against settings shortcuts!

-Another thing that irks me: Notifications. The little flippy thing that comes down from the top of the screen is so obnoxious. No offense, but I don't know how anyone can accept that this is all Apple could come up with to notify you. It literally blocks any access to the buttons on top. How is blocking something part of Apple's software philosophy? And since the "back" or "cancel" buttons are usually at the top, you have to either wait for it to go away, or swipe it away first. It's so dreadfully unintuitive. I can't believe this is what Apple software developers, after a year, came up with. This is all they could offer? Likewise, when you're on a call, and you want to navigate back to your home screen and/or apps, the green "In a call" thing on top pushes everything down. It's really kind of ridiculous.

What's wrong with swiping it away? I feel like you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. The OS is basically saying "Here's your notification, swipe to get rid of it if you don't want to act on it now."

So what if it blocks the buttons to the top? All you have to do is swipe it away to get rid of it. No big deal.

-Screen size: actually okay. I thought this would be a bigger issue going back to the smaller 4" screen, but it so far hasn't bothered me terribly. I do feel it though when I'm looking at NYC subway map apps, or the Apple Maps app, or when browsing certain things. But it's not as horrendous as I thought it would be. I have said this before: the iPhone would be glorious with a larger screen. That day will hopefully come soon. And it's no joke a serious change from the 4S screen. Just like going from 4" to 4.5" would make a huge difference, going from 3.5" to 4" is a huge difference, too. The size of the actual device itself, though, is still awkward to me. So narrow... feels like I'm holding a candy bar.

If the screen gets any bigger it definitely needs to be wider!

-Design: hard not to fall in love. Let's face it, this is a sort of the ugly child of the former all glass 4S and the aluminum of Apple's iPad and modern day laptops. It's a sort of ugly mesh of them, but it somehow... works. It's hard not to be enamored by such a cute little device. The edges, especially, are captivatingly stunning. I got it in white, by the way.

Mine lives in a bourbon biscuit case so I want to eat it all the time :D

-Hate the physical home button, but it definitely feels "sturdier" than I remember the 4S being. I just can't help but feel that every time I tap it, that's one closer tap to failure I'm getting it to. By the way, I'm using the phone 100% naked. It's wild.

I don't mind, physical, capacitive, on screen, doesn't make a big difference.

Nice post!

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Good post ill keep checking back. I agree with what you're saying completely

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Zephyr costs 5 bucks? :(

So far, love SBSettings.

Looking for a swiping keyboard now...

Jailbreak is exciting.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Zephyr costs 5 bucks? :(

So far, love SBSettings.

Looking for a swiping keyboard now...

Jailbreak is exciting.

It's costly indeed, you can try to mimic the same by downloading activator and assign the gesture to swipe from the bottom. For all that matters you can configure activators for everything.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
This is kind of frustrating I have to do this to make my iPhone have the features that Android comes standard.

----------

It's costly indeed, you can try to mimic the same by downloading activator and assign the gesture to swipe from the bottom. For all that matters you can configure activators for everything.

Got Activator. Swiping up from the bottom to return to home screen rocks!! :D

Danka!

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
This is kind of frustrating I have to do this to make my iPhone have the features that Android comes standard.

In all fairness is more customisable than Android, you can literally configure almost everything easily. I find it amazing that I never found a push mail toggle in Android for example.

Here's my home screen in the iPhone 5:

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    394.3 KB · Views: 2,824

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I have to agree with most if these points. Every time I pick up my iPhone 5 after using my N4 the lack of a back button drives me nuts. Also the keyboard throws me off because its smaller. You really start to appreciate the way android does notifications after using iOS.

Coincidentally I too just jail broke my iPhone he other day. It will cost you around $10 to get the best features. Its nice but its still not close to using a N4. I was able to get my favorite GBC emulator, GBC.emu which is cool but now its a pain to get a ROM into a offer I can access lol.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
ios sandboxed approach is severely restricting. putting files INSIDE an app sucks. that means other app can't see that file. put a pdf inside adobe reader, that file can't be used by other app like gmail. also if you delete that app by mistake, guess what? your files are gone too!

i like having direct access to my file system and i like to keep files and apps separate. its the reason why i avoided Windows PHone 7, (wp8 does support it), continuing to avoid ios.

it is quite a big deal, for me at least.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
ios sandboxed approach is severely restricting. putting files INSIDE an app sucks. that means other app can't see that file. put a pdf inside adobe reader, that file can't be used by other app like gmail. also if you delete that app by mistake, guess what? your files are gone too!

i like having direct access to my file system and i like to keep files and apps separate. its the reason why i avoided Windows PHone 7, (wp8 does support it), continuing to avoid ios.

it is quite a big deal, for me at least.

Not strictly true. A lot of apps have some form of sharing built in. Email attachments can be opened in apps that support that type of file. Apps like adobe reader usually have share functions built in, so you can send by email etc.

The delete thing is true though.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Sand boxing is what makes my iPhone 5 experience so terrible.

That's where I found 4.2.2 on nexus to be so "flowy".

More power to you for switching over, but I am itching to use something else unless apple makes ios more like OS X.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Man, people complain about the smallest things. You make it seem like its so tedious to hit an on screen back button with it almost always at the top left corner. If use use certain apps all the time, you get use to where the back buttons are and it becomes muscle memory.

Yore complaining about how iOS lacks all these things that Android had so why did you come back to
iOS?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I am mightily impressed by Activator. What an amazing app.

I have swipe from bottom up in home screen as my app switcher, and I have swipe from bottom up in anything else as "home".

Then, I also have swipe up from bottom left to put phone to sleep. Love it.

----------

Man, people complain about the smallest things. You make it seem like its so tedious to hit an on screen back button with it almost always at the top left corner. If use use certain apps all the time, you get use to where the back buttons are and it becomes muscle memory.

Yore complaining about how iOS lacks all these things that Android had so why did you come back to
iOS?

Don't be mad that a dedicated back button makes more sense. :D

----------

Didn't want to go that way :p

Gro, I can't find iSwype in Cydia... Help?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
be mad that a dedicated back button makes more sense. :D

Sure it might make more sense, but I personally don't find the fact that iOS lacks one a huge deal. I'm used to where they are in all of the apps I use and I never have to search for it. 99.9 percent of all back or cancel buttons are in one of the screens corners and are relatively easy to find.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Swiping up to go home makes me feel like I'm using the blackberry z10. Heh.

----------

Wow webscrollian rocks. Thanks again grolub

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I am mightily impressed by Activator. What an amazing app.

I have swipe from bottom up in home screen as my app switcher, and I have swipe from bottom up in anything else as "home".

Then, I also have swipe up from bottom left to put phone to sleep. Love it.

----------

Don't be mad that a dedicated back button makes more sense. :D

----------

Gro, I can't find iSwype in Cydia... Help?

Here ya go:

http://ithemebig.wordpress.com/2013...-for-your-iphone-with-iswipe-formally-iswype/

I still prefer iKeywi because then I can use just one hand, but some people prefer swipe

----------

Swiping up to go home makes me feel like I'm using the blackberry z10. Heh.

----------

Wow webscrollian rocks. Thanks again grolub

Yes, when you start using gestures for everything then you realise how the iPhone is so nice.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Woah woah woah.... wait a second.

Mail doesn't push?

I tried setting up Exchange for my two gmail accounts, and I'm reading Exchange is no longer available for iOS devices activated after Jan 30th. So the server doesn't give me my emails.

So then I have to use the Gmail account when adding, and there's no push option available?

Is this true? Is there a solution? This is a serious issue if my mail isn't pushing to me.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Sure it might make more sense, but I personally don't find the fact that iOS lacks one a huge deal. I'm used to where they are in all of the apps I use and I never have to search for it. 99.9 percent of all back or cancel buttons are in one of the screens corners and are relatively easy to find.

In all honesty I wish I would have a back button in iOs, the only solution is swypeNav. I even donated to the developer because I think this is such a life saver.

----------

Mail doesn't push?

I tried setting up Exchange for my two gmail accounts, and I'm reading Exchange is no longer available for iOS devices activated after Jan 30th. So the server doesn't give me my emails.

So then I have to use the Gmail account when adding, and there's no push option available?

Is this true? Is there a solution? This is a serious issue if my mail isn't pushing to me.

Blame google for killing this feature and for killing google reader.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Mail doesn't push?

Yeah Google killed it. People who already had push gmail (like me) still have it, but no new users can use it. You'll have to use the Gmail app.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Just installed iSwype. It only works on stock apps (and poorly). Lame. Major strike number 2 (1 being no push email from Gmail servers anymore).

----------

Lack of push email may be a deal breaker...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.