Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2013/03/14/first-impressions-of-samsung-galaxy-s4/

After sitting through the glitziest product introduction I’ve ever been to followed by a few minutes of hands-on with the Galaxy S4, I came away impressed but not blown away.

I’ll get into details in a moment, but my overall sense of this phone is that it firmly establishes Samsung as a leading innovator — if not the leading innovator — in the smartphone space. It’s kind of ironic that Apple won a lawsuit last year after a jury found that Samsung had copied iPhone features and designs. The Galaxy S4 — like the Galaxy S3 — could never be called a copycat. Samsung came out with specs and features that we’ve never yet seen in a smartphone, including any phone that begins with the letter i.

Cool factor

There’s a great deal more to say about this phone and its features and — again — I’m not yet ready to pass judgement, but I liked what I saw and can say without any hesitation that Samsung — at least for the moment — is a few steps ahead of Apple when it comes to the “cool” factor.

I agree with this first impression review. I was also not "blown away" with the Galaxy S4 but am impressed by it. I think that the people in this forum forget that the average Joe is going to be picking the Galaxy S4 up in a store and playing around with it and will likely be impressed like the above reviewer. None of us here has even touched an S4.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't necessarily say that Samsung has a cool factor, but I would say Apple is losing theirs.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah, Samsung's stuff still looks too geeky in general to have much of a "cool" factor. The Note 2 is definitely a cool device given what it can do, but it sure doesn't look very cool. (Obviously Touchwiz is sat promptly on the opposite side of the whole spectrum from 'cool', but Nova Launcher does away with that in a second.)

They're moving in the right direction though, as evidenced by the S4. And my wet dream is still that they get a really competent lead designer aboard. Who's first big move would be to lose that mother****ing logo on the front of their stuff :D

Apple on the other hand don't seem to be moving anywhere. Last year if you'd asked me I would have said iPhones are the only cool smartphones out there. Now I just think they're boring.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
After sitting through the glitziest product introduction I’ve ever been to followed by a few minutes of hands-on with the Galaxy S4, I came away impressed but not blown away.

He clearly went to a different event than the hideous one we all witnessed and were embarrassed watching.

I'd question his taste in deciding what is 'cool' if he honestly enjoyed that event.

(The phone is great, but the event was horrendous - and the total antithesis of the word 'cool')

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
He clearly went to a different event than the hideous one we all witnessed and were embarrassed watching.

I'd question his taste in deciding what is 'cool' if he honestly enjoyed that event.

(The phone is great, but the event was horrendous - and the total antithesis of the word 'cool')

Maybe it's a lot more palatable in person in a theater. All that broadway-ish stuff might make more sense there.

: shrug :

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010

He called the presentation "glitziest", which is probably true for a smartphone intro. He didn't say whether he liked the presentation or not.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What is innovative about a spec bump?

This was an evolutionary step, nothing more. Akin to the 4s update, but at least that had a brand new version of iOS that came with it (ios 5 was a major update).

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
What is innovative about a spec bump?

This was an evolutionary step, nothing more. Akin to the 4s update, but at least that had a brand new version of iOS that came with it (ios 5 was a major update).

Did you actually watch the presentation? Not make fun of the skits, but see what they were trying to show you as in how the phone can work in real life situations? It has a lot of innovative features...yes they were a bit corney, but that was the point, it was an event, skits to show the use of the phone in silly real world situations. Far better than Tim Cook saying "Amazing, revolutionary, cool" over and over in an awkward voice....or just watching some dude on the stage with a Keynote presentaiton showing bullet points and a few videos. It was fun, entertaining, silly and stupid at times, but none the less, fun.

But to say the phone is an evolution, is ignoring some if its best new features such as:

No touch swipe or call answer - Can't tell you how many times I am working on my car or bike, or just have dirty hands and do not want to touch the phone to answer a call.

Photo app - Are you kidding me? No one has come close to the features Samsung is offering her. Pic narration, 100 pics in seconds to capture the best one in a fluid situation, removing unwanted elements from a pic on the fly, picture in picture, all freaking great.

Translation - Go to another country and try to read a menu to order lunch or dinner or ask a question, if it works as advertised, the ability for the camera to read and translate and voice translation is great. I live in Japan, the other day a couple came to me who only spoke Russion, not Japanese and not English, they needed help, I could not help them, I felt horrible, with that feature I could have.

Fitness App - Goes above and beyond Nike fit, period.

Screen - Bigger, higher res screen, more memory, more processor, removable battery, SD card slot in a smaller, thinner and lighter phone....WHO HAS DONE THAT?

The SPECS are an evolution, but the apps and the way the phone really integrates into your life and improves how you use it is beyond what any other company has done recently. This is what makes me laugh about posts like yours, people read the spec sheet and say "meh" but it is so much more than just specs.

As for iOS 5, eh hem, that was over a year ago...what has Apple done recently? Nothing major with iOS other than buying Siri and nothing with the iPhone design other than stretching it a bit, but essentially doing the same things the 4s does save for what, panoramic pictures, something the S3 has had for far longer.

Last edited:

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Did you actually watch the presentation? Not make fun of the skits, but see what they were trying to show you as in how the phone can work in real life situations? It has a lot of innovative features...yes they were a bit corney, but that was the point, it was an event, skits to show the use of the phone in silly real world situations. Far better than Tim Cook saying "Amazing, revolutionary, cool" over and over in an awkward voice....or just watching some dude on the stage with a Keynote presentaiton showing bullet points and a few videos. It was fun, entertaining, silly and stupid at times, but none the less, fun.

But to say the phone is an evolution, is ignoring some if its best new features such as:

No touch swipe or call answer - Can't tell you how many times I am working on my car or bike, or just have dirty hands and do not want to touch the phone to answer a call.

Photo app - Are you kidding me? No one has come close to the features Samsung is offering her. Pic narration, 100 pics in seconds to capture the best one in a fluid situation, removing unwanted elements from a pic on the fly, picture in picture, all freaking great.

Translation - Go to another country and try to read a menu to order lunch or dinner or ask a question, if it works as advertised, the ability for the camera to read and translate and voice translation is great. I live in Japan, the other day a couple came to me who only spoke Russion, not Japanese and not English, they needed help, I could not help them, I felt horrible, with that feature I could have.

Fitness App - Goes above and beyond Nike fit, period.

Screen - Bigger, higher res screen, more memory, more processor, removable battery, SD card slot in a smaller, thinner and lighter phone....WHO HAS DONE THAT?

The SPECS are an evolution, but the apps and the way the phone really integrates into your life and improves how you use it is beyond what any other company has done recently. This is what makes me laugh about posts like yours, people read the spec sheet and say "meh" but it is so much more than just specs.

As for iOS 5, eh hem, that was over a year ago...what has Apple done recently? Nothing major with iOS other than buying Siri and nothing with the iPhone design other than stretching it a bit, but essentially doing the same things the 4s does save for what, panoramic pictures, something the S3 has had for far longer.

All of this. People are quick to dismiss it as an S progression, without actually considering that a LOT of the features on the S4, while maybe not useful to EVERYONE - are still new and a few steps ahead of what anyone else has done so far.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What about it? Read the article.

I did my point is I personally do not trust a mans judgment on cool factor if he liked or thought something so abhorrent as that presentation was as glitzy...

;)

Seriously its like

Bobcat-Im_Cool-CSSC_copy__27673_zoom.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Minus the removable battery and sd card slot, apple did with the iP5. Obviously not to the extent that Samsung did, but you can't say it hasn't been done.

As for the other stuff, I doubt I'd use half the things that are included with the camera app on the S4. Great that you have the options, but they aren't for me. I just want a better photo organization and from what I've read, android has an awesome one.

Translation, I don't travel hardly at all anymore and I've never needed it. Again, glad you guys have the option, but its not needed and I'd rather download an app on the off chance I ever do need it instead of it being included.

Fitness app, again, I'd rather download a third party app than have one inluded if I ever decided to do something like this on my phone.

No touch responsiveness, not a big deal, I do work on my bike but I always keep a rag close to wipe down real quick. If my phone gets dirty ill just clean it later. Cool feature for random needs, but it's not a must have for me. I haven't read into it, but can you answer the phone by voice control and it automatically goes to speaker phone mode? I think that would be cool and handy on those rare occasions. Cooking, dirty hands, don't have extra hands to actually hold the phone, etc. if that's included in that feature, I think it would be really useful then.

The problem for me with phone makers making all things to integrate into your life, is they are making the phone too much a part of my life. I want my phone to be a tool in my life, not be a tool with my phone as my life. I'm trying to move away from that now so whenever I'm out with friends I keep my phone put away unless we are taking pictures or something.

I'm glad Samsung did all these things because maybe it will enhance my phone of choice later on down the road. I just personally do not like Android OS. I like the things it can do, but I like the UI. I prefer iOS or windows phone 8.

Just my opinion and no one has to listen to me. I don't care if Samsung has the "cool" edge.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Mk
Minus the removable battery and sd card slot, apple did with the iP5. Obviously not to the extent that Samsung did, but you can't say it hasn't been done.

As for the other stuff, I doubt I'd use half the things that are included with the camera app on the S4. Great that you have the options, but they aren't for me. I just want a better photo organization and from what I've read, android has an awesome one.

Translation, I don't travel hardly at all anymore and I've never needed it. Again, glad you guys have the option, but its not needed and I'd rather download an app on the off chance I ever do need it instead of it being included.

Fitness app, again, I'd rather download a third party app than have one inluded if I ever decided to do something like this on my phone.

No touch responsiveness, not a big deal, I do work on my bike but I always keep a rag close to wipe down real quick. If my phone gets dirty ill just clean it later. Cool feature for random needs, but it's not a must have for me. I haven't read into it, but can you answer the phone by voice control and it automatically goes to speaker phone mode? I think that would be cool and handy on those rare occasions. Cooking, dirty hands, don't have extra hands to actually hold the phone, etc. if that's included in that feature, I think it would be really useful then.

The problem for me with phone makers making all things to integrate into your life, is they are making the phone too much a part of my life. I want my phone to be a tool in my life, not be a tool with my phone as my life. I'm trying to move away from that now so whenever I'm out with friends I keep my phone put away unless we are taking pictures or something.

I'm glad Samsung did all these things because maybe it will enhance my phone of choice later on down the road. I just personally do not like Android OS. I like the things it can do, but I like the UI. I prefer iOS or windows phone 8.

Just my opinion and no one has to listen to me. I don't care if Samsung has the "cool" edge.

No no the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter but longer. You can dismiss all of these features with the I don't want or need or can buy an app but the fact is part of the phone experience and that is what makes it cool.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Mk

No no the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter but longer. You can dismiss all of these features with the I don't want or need or can buy an app but the fact is part of the phone experience and that is what makes it cool.

The iPhone 5 is physically smaller (volume wise) than the iPhone 4s, regardless of length.

It's cool for you and many others. Not for me. That's all I'm getting at. It's unneeded experiences for the most part for me. I'll highlight that again. for me. Somethings I think are cool and wish I had, others I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.