Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
So everyone is up in arms about Samsung's terribly awkward Galaxy S4 launch event. Everyone is equally in arms about Samsung's apparent rise to the throne against Apple.

But did you really read the fine print? Do you really understand what Samsung is doing?

"The Next Big Thing is Already Here"
Do you think a line like that and a commercial mocking iPhone buyers waiting in line, REALLY makes iPhone users abandon their comfortable phone for a Galaxy S3 and at this stage a Galaxy S4?

Let me ask you something- What do a lot of Anti-Apple fanatics and Android sympathizers have in common? Their disdain for Apple's popularity despite what their device "does better". They love to point fingers at Apple's iPhone and call it a marginal upgrade over the last year despite long waiting lines and hype.

Sound familiar? It's the exact message Samsung put out last year.

What Samsung was doing was NOT trying to throw a punch at Apple. They were theatrically throwing taunts at Apple when their REAL agenda was to throw life threatening shots at HTC, Sony Mobile, Motorola, LG and Blackberry. They wanted to grab those users that emphatically believed the iPhone was a joke, and UNITE those users. Samsung knows that trying to pry an iPhone out of an iPhone fan's hands is an endeavor where the rewards do NOT match the effort it takes.

And succeed they did. Over 100 million devices sold but how many were iPhone converted? Was it as many as those that abandoned their HTC's, Motorola Droid's, MyTouch's and Experia's? Not likely. The biggest flaw Apple pointed at when criticizing Android was fragmentation. No two devices are the same and it creates boundaries between users. Instead of wearing that fault with pride and calling it a 'unique' identity, Samsung said, "touche, we'll release one device on all carriers and unite the people who can't stand you".

What does this have to do with the S4 launch?

Quite simply, the S4 launch didn't need to win anyone over. They have over 100 million people that are just itching to Ebay and Craig's List dump their S3's, S2's and Note's to jump on the S4 wagon. A boring tech demo wouldn't make enough headlines to let the world know what was coming.

Oh, they didn't highlight enough of the phone's hardware? Don't worry, Endgadget, UberGizmo, Gizmodo and various other tech review sites will let you know how much tail the phone kicks. That will satisfy the nerds. But being an article in the Times because of how over the top your release was? Doesn't matter if the presentation sucked, Galaxy S4 is ringing in everyone's heads and no one even CARES that HTC's new One dropped.

What the Galaxy S4 release did manage to do was show everyone that you do NOT have to be a tech nerd to enjoy a flagship device. You can be a stereotypical wife, father, husband, daughter or traveler and enjoy the phone all the same.

Samsung is single handedly destroying anyone who attempts to release a successful Android device and doing so with the farce that they're going against Apple.

What do you do when you can't successfully win a market from your #1 rival? You stop trying and win the market they never had.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Hold up mate, your tinfoil hat needs straightening...

On a serious note though, while you may be correct to SOME extent, I don't think you need to look very far (this forum) to see that a lot of iPhone owners are being swayed to Samsung and their Galaxy line by offering stuff that Apple flat out refuses to.

Phil Schiller taking shots at Google and Samsung, the iphone 4 having a bigger screen, and their new 'why you'll love an iPhone' web pages are all signs that Apple is very aware that Samsung and the galaxy line are posing a serious threat.

Maybe not financially, but they may have realised they're not the untouchable powerhouse that they used to be.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Phil Schiller taking shots at Google and Samsung, the iphone 4 having a bigger screen, and their new 'why you'll love an iPhone' web pages are all signs that Apple is very aware that Samsung and the galaxy line are posing a serious threat.

Maybe not financially, but they may have realised they're not the untouchable powerhouse that they used to be.

Yup. This was the most telling sign. Apple's never done this before for any competitor's announcements, as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Yup. This was the most telling sign. Apple's never done this before for any competitor's announcements, as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

The biggest sign for me is that Apple have never, ever, EVER let their competitors dictate their product development or force them into doing something they normally wouldn't have.

And in the past year, there have been several occasions where they've done just that.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010

They did the same campaign for Macs ages ago with Switch ads and all that. And i don't think its particularly done because of Samsung either. The Mac page is still alive and well today too. Doing this is nothing new contrary to what Samsung followers want to believe. All they've done is made the same type of campaign for iPhone.

The biggest sign for me is that Apple have never, ever, EVER let their competitors dictate their product development or force them into doing something they normally wouldn't have.

And in the past year, there have been several occasions where they've done just that.

I hope you're not referring to the iPad mini because thats been in considering for a long long time prior to release.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
They did the same campaign for Macs ages ago with Switch ads and all that. And i don't think its particularly done because of Samsung either. The Mac page is still alive and well today too. Doing this is nothing new contrary to what Samsung followers want to believe. All they've done is made the same type of campaign for iPhone.

You said so yourself "ages ago."

It's telling that they're doing it again. It's not a coincidence that they did it right on the heels of the S4 unveiling. It'd be naive to think otherwise.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I hope you're not referring to the iPad mini because thats been in considering for a long long time prior to release.

Well the iPad Mini to a lesser extent sure - they had always toted on about how there is no point to a 7" tablet market.

But there was also the whole issue of 'our phone's display size is perfect, because you can reach the whole display with one hand'. Then they start to see how much the big screen phones are in demand, and whaddaya know - the iPhone 5 has a bigger screen!

Then there was the interview where Tim Cook took a shot directly at Samsung, calling their OLED displays terrible.

And then only a few days ago there was Phil Schiller coming out and making wildly uninformed, ignorant comments to do with Android and Samsung:

"When you turn on an Android phone, you have to sign into 9 different accounts."

"Samsung's new phone will be shipping with a year old OS".

And then finally there's the 'Why you'll love an iPhone' web campaign that happens a few days after the S4 announcement.

In the Steve Jobs era, this sort of behaviour would have been unheard of. He would have orchestrated the product to speak for itself. Tim and Phil's attacks on their competitors reek of fear, and the fact that Apple are now doing things that follow in the footsteps of other OEM's is very telling.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
So everyone is up in arms about Samsung's terribly awkward Galaxy S4 launch event. Everyone is equally in arms about Samsung's apparent rise to the throne against Apple.

But did you really read the fine print? Do you really understand what Samsung is doing?

"The Next Big Thing is Already Here"
Do you think a line like that and a commercial mocking iPhone buyers waiting in line, REALLY makes iPhone users abandon their comfortable phone for a Galaxy S3 and at this stage a Galaxy S4?

Let me ask you something- What do a lot of Anti-Apple fanatics and Android sympathizers have in common? Their disdain for Apple's popularity despite what their device "does better". They love to point fingers at Apple's iPhone and call it a marginal upgrade over the last year despite long waiting lines and hype.

Sound familiar? It's the exact message Samsung put out last year.

What Samsung was doing was NOT trying to throw a punch at Apple. They were theatrically throwing taunts at Apple when their REAL agenda was to throw life threatening shots at HTC, Sony Mobile, Motorola, LG and Blackberry. They wanted to grab those users that emphatically believed the iPhone was a joke, and UNITE those users. Samsung knows that trying to pry an iPhone out of an iPhone fan's hands is an endeavor where the rewards do NOT match the effort it takes.

And succeed they did. Over 100 million devices sold but how many were iPhone converted? Was it as many as those that abandoned their HTC's, Motorola Droid's, MyTouch's and Experia's? Not likely. The biggest flaw Apple pointed at when criticizing Android was fragmentation. No two devices are the same and it creates boundaries between users. Instead of wearing that fault with pride and calling it a 'unique' identity, Samsung said, "touche, we'll release one device on all carriers and unite the people who can't stand you".

What does this have to do with the S4 launch?

Quite simply, the S4 launch didn't need to win anyone over. They have over 100 million people that are just itching to Ebay and Craig's List dump their S3's, S2's and Note's to jump on the S4 wagon. A boring tech demo wouldn't make enough headlines to let the world know what was coming.

Oh, they didn't highlight enough of the phone's hardware? Don't worry, Endgadget, UberGizmo, Gizmodo and various other tech review sites will let you know how much tail the phone kicks. That will satisfy the nerds. But being an article in the Times because of how over the top your release was? Doesn't matter if the presentation sucked, Galaxy S4 is ringing in everyone's heads and no one even CARES that HTC's new One dropped.

What the Galaxy S4 release did manage to do was show everyone that you do NOT have to be a tech nerd to enjoy a flagship device. You can be a stereotypical wife, father, husband, daughter or traveler and enjoy the phone all the same.

Samsung is single handedly destroying anyone who attempts to release a successful Android device and doing so with the farce that they're going against Apple.

What do you do when you can't successfully win a market from your #1 rival? You stop trying and win the market they never had.

Who's kidding who. Sounds like a jealous diatribe ...

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Who's kidding who. Sounds like a jealous diatribe ...

What am I jealous of?

I have an iPhone 5 and a Note 2. An iPad Mini, a MacBook Pro, an iPad 4 and a Nexus 7.

I get the best of both worlds in every flavor each world offers.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
In the Steve Jobs era, this sort of behaviour would have been unheard of. He would have orchestrated the product to speak for itself. Tim and Phil's attacks on their competitors reek of fear, and the fact that Apple are now doing things that follow in the footsteps of other OEM's is very telling.

Steve himself has launched many a personal attack on Android. Calling it stolen, fragmented and not open.

Apple has always talked down on competitors...since before even the iPod came out.

Again, nothing really new here.

Last edited:

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Steve himself has launched many a personal attack on Android. Calling it stolen, fragmented and not open.

Apple has always talked down on competitors...since before even the iPod came out.

Again, nothing really new here.

Launched yes, attacking the platform. Phil and Tim have attacked manufacturer, all suspiciously close to a product release.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Launched yes, attacking the platform. Phil and Tim have attacked manufacturer, all suspiciously close to a product release.

A distinction without any real difference. Samsung is the face of Android if you want to talk down Android thats your go to manufacturer. Also lets not forget that Samsung started all this with their personal attack ads on Apple and its customers. Before product launches.

No one called them scared for that but when Apple's Chief Marketer responds (which is normal) all of a sudden they're scared and doomed?

Such BS double standard. Both companies talk crap to each other and surprise surprise talking down your rivals is the norm in business

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
A distinction without any real difference. Samsung is the face of Android if you want to talk down Android thats your go to manufacturer. Also lets not forget that Samsung started all this with their personal attack ads on Apple and its customers. Before product launches.

No one called them scared for that but when Apple's Chief Marketer responds (which is normal) all of a sudden they're scared and doomed?

Such BS double standard

Um... if you're second place, it's hard to be scared of losing to the first place company; you've already lost! Samsung is clearly on the offensive.

Apple has more to lose. You've never seen a sports game where the other team catches up and the team in the lead has to fend off the rally?

It's not rocket science.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Um... if you're second place, it's hard to be scared of losing to the first place company; you've already lost! Samsung is clearly on the offensive.

Apple has more to lose. You've never seen a sports game where the other team catches up and the team in the lead has to fend off the rally?

It's not rocket science.

Oh now they're in second place. I thought Android was the premier OS in terms of market share. Android fans love pointing that out often after all.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Samsung doesn't produce every single Android phone but they shift the most units. Another distinction without a difference.

Actually it's distinct as well as different. Just because only some see it that way is of no consequence.

Samsung is on a roll, with very significant momentum even if people would rather deny it. Commanding a lot of attention, matching or exceeding Apples rumor mill.

Ad to that the soon to be released Tizen OS powered phones, and the followers of Apple will _really_ have plenty to complain about.

2013 will be a very challenging year for Apple.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Actually it's distinct as well as different. Just because only some see it that way is of no consequence.

Samsung is on a roll, with very significant momentum even if people would rather deny it. Commanding a lot of attention, matching or exceeding Apples rumor mill.

Ad to that the soon to be released Tizen OS powered phones, and the followers of Apple will _really_ have plenty to complain about.

2013 will be a very challenging year for Apple.

"2012 will be the death of Apple"
"2013 will be a very challenging year for Apple"

These types of things are repeated as nauseum, and they're still here and they still have the most popular smartphone.

Lets just wait and see before making wild claims shall we?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
If Samsung built their phones to look and feel premium, then they would end apple. No matter what, people always like how premium products look and feel. I had the gs3 and it felt very cheaply made with little precision at all. Cheap, plastic buttons and seams that dirt was embedding in put me off as much as the little lags and hiccups here and there.

Samsung needs to tailor that phone with its software to be butter smooth, like the iPhone and build it with some precision milled aluminium for some flash.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

That's because they're usually ready with their own announcement to try and overshadow the competition. Samsung got an event coming up? Apple send out invites to its own event taking place a few days before.

This time, however, they had nothing in the pipeline, which is why Phil made a fool of himself and they're now running an ad campaign to remind people the iPhone 5 is still a thing they can buy.

----------

"2012 will be the death of Apple"
"2013 will be a very challenging year for Apple"

These types of things are repeated as nauseum, and they're still here and they still have the most popular smartphone.

Lets just wait and see before making wild claims shall we?

The most popular smartphone by what measure? Android phones outsell iPhones and Samsung is leading them. In the UK last month the top three best selling smartphones were all Samsungs while the iPhone 5 was way down in seventh place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.