Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
glen e
macrumors 68030

Keep the MacMini or the Air?

Last year I bought a new '12 air - 8 gb/128 11 inch. I needed it as I was on the road all summer. Now I no longer travel and it sits behind my office 27inch screen and keyboard, it has never been moved and I don't need the portability. I have iPads for that.

I do not do anything on a computer except MS office & Firefox.

Today the MBA HD went south and it's being replaced under warranty. I picked up a MacMini and restored everything with my Time capsule passport HD. Works perfect.

I'm thinking of selling the MBA when it gets back next week. I never move it and I'm thinking running it 24/7 in a closed position probably did not do it any good. The MacMini is plenty fast enuf and 4 GB is fine.

Any thoughts? Am i missing anything?
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

I have the same argument going on, except I need to be mobile every so often (it comes in cycles).

Essentially, the mac mini has the same innards as the MBA (but without the screen and keyboard, obviously), so you wouldn't be missing anything. The MBA is pretty expensive to just be hanging around on a desk, looking pretty. The iPad gives you some mobile functionality, and in a pinch you could even use VNC to screen share with your mini.

I'm not seeing any obvious reasons to hang on to the MBA. Since I like my MBA keyboard so much, I hook mine up to my external monitor, turn off the screen, and type and use the trackpad with the external display.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
iamsen47
macrumors regular

I'd keep both if you aren't hard up for cash.
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
When you don't ever skype or FaceTime with it you can keep the mini, because you have an iPad for those things. The Mac Mini is a nice, capable and solid machine, plus it is easily user-upgradable.
What kind of storage do you have in the mini?

Last edited by Corax; Mar 19, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Corax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Sounds like black & white to me.

I like it when ppl know their situation.

Why have something sitting there (even an MBA) to depreciate?

Last edited by Mrbobb; Mar 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:38 PM   #6
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Last year I bought a new '12 air - 8 gb/128 11 inch. I needed it as I was on the road all summer. Now I no longer travel and it sits behind my office 27inch screen and keyboard, it has never been moved and I don't need the portability. I have iPads for that.

I do not do anything on a computer except MS office & Firefox.

Today the MBA HD went south and it's being replaced under warranty. I picked up a MacMini and restored everything with my Time capsule passport HD. Works perfect.

I'm thinking of selling the MBA when it gets back next week. I never move it and I'm thinking running it 24/7 in a closed position probably did not do it any good. The MacMini is plenty fast enuf and 4 GB is fine.

Any thoughts? Am i missing anything?
If you NEVER move it, the Mac Mini makes more sense. You are paying more for the MBA for portability. Also, the RAM is easily user upgradable to 16GB while the MBA is not user upgradable.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
If you NEVER move it, the Mac Mini makes more sense. You are paying more for the MBA for portability. Also, the RAM is easily user upgradable to 16GB while the MBA is not user upgradable.
exactly the conclusion I came to over the past few days - I now have an I7 1T mini on my desk with 16GB kingston memory coming tomorrow. A relative in college getting my MBA as she needs the portability....thanks for all the comments...
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air