Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Harrison.S
macrumors newbie

How to remove greyed out ".local" suffix from name in mac 10.8.3

Hi. Ive got a really really annoying problem. I have to fix this.

Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.

When i try sharing and unlock the padlock, i try to edit my name but its just greyed out! and when i click edit i can change my name to whatever i want, but after my name, there is always a greyed out suffix saying ".local" that i cannot change no matter what i do!

When i try terminal hacks, nothing changes. This is really starting to annoy me, and whoever manages to fix it, i can offer a small reward.

PLEASE HELP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.16.30 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	402990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.18.00 PM.png
Views:	20
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	402991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.19.12 PM.png
Views:	24
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	402992  

Harrison.S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:28 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison.S View Post
Hi. Ive got a really really annoying problem. I have to fix this.

Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.

When i try sharing and unlock the padlock, i try to edit my name but its just greyed out! and when i click edit i can change my name to whatever i want, but after my name, there is always a greyed out suffix saying ".local" that i cannot change no matter what i do!

When i try terminal hacks, nothing changes. This is really starting to annoy me, and whoever manages to fix it, i can offer a small reward.

PLEASE HELP
You clearly don't have a clue, when someone on the same network sees your computer the person does not see the local or localhost, you get stressed over this, well then you haven't run into REAL problems yet.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Harrison.S
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You clearly don't have a clue, when someone on the same network sees your computer the person does not see the local or localhost, you get stressed over this, well then you haven't run into REAL problems yet.
The thing is, they do see my name as localhost on airdrop
Harrison.S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Harrison.S
macrumors newbie

Remove ".local" suffix from name in sharing?

Harrison.S is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:49 AM   #5
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

You don't remove it, because otherwise MDNS (Bonjour) cannot tell if this computer is local or not, thus cannot tell if to share with it or not. Leave it alone.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking