Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harrison.S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Hi. Ive got a really really annoying problem. I have to fix this.

Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.

When i try sharing and unlock the padlock, i try to edit my name but its just greyed out! and when i click edit i can change my name to whatever i want, but after my name, there is always a greyed out suffix saying ".local" that i cannot change no matter what i do!

When i try terminal hacks, nothing changes. This is really starting to annoy me, and whoever manages to fix it, i can offer a small reward.

PLEASE HELP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.16.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.16.30 PM.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.18.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.18.00 PM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.19.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 6.19.12 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 135

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi. Ive got a really really annoying problem. I have to fix this.

Right now im running OSX 10.8.3 and when i go on airdrop, my icon displays my account picture and below that it says "Other people in AirDrop can see your Mac as localhost when their computer is nearby. Now my question is, how on earth can i change my name back to something normal like "Harrison"? And get rid of this "localhost" nonsense.

When i try sharing and unlock the padlock, i try to edit my name but its just greyed out! and when i click edit i can change my name to whatever i want, but after my name, there is always a greyed out suffix saying ".local" that i cannot change no matter what i do!

When i try terminal hacks, nothing changes. This is really starting to annoy me, and whoever manages to fix it, i can offer a small reward.

PLEASE HELP

You clearly don't have a clue, when someone on the same network sees your computer the person does not see the local or localhost, you get stressed over this, well then you haven't run into REAL problems yet.

Harrison.S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
You clearly don't have a clue, when someone on the same network sees your computer the person does not see the local or localhost, you get stressed over this, well then you haven't run into REAL problems yet.

The thing is, they do see my name as localhost on airdrop

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
You don't remove it, because otherwise MDNS (Bonjour) cannot tell if this computer is local or not, thus cannot tell if to share with it or not. Leave it alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.