Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to get push Gmail?

I know Google ended Exchange support. Is there any possible way to get push gmail through the regular Apple Mail app or must I refresh my email everytime to see new emails?
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
matttye
macrumors 601

You can set it up to use fetch so it automatically checks every so often, no need to refresh manually, but you can't do push anymore.

The Gmail app supports push.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:26 PM   #3
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
I know Google ended Exchange support. Is there any possible way to get push gmail through the regular Apple Mail app or must I refresh my email everytime to see new emails?
Nope no way. Only for existing users that registered devices before January 30
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Google Apps business account. They will still do push via exchange.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:35 PM   #5
Small White Car
macrumors G4

An alternative is the app named 'Boxcar.'

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxcar/id321493542

You give it your Gmail password and it checks it frequently and IT sends you a push notice when you have mail. You can then set your iPhone's mail to a 'manual' schedule and only check it when Boxcar tells you to.

It's not quite as perfect as real push email, but it's really darned close. If you want to keep using Gmail it's a good compromise.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
rgarjr
macrumors 603

for those who have gmail pushing if u get a new idevice and setup gmail as exchange u wont get push?
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:26 AM   #7
afurry13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
for those who have gmail pushing if u get a new idevice and setup gmail as exchange u wont get push?
I have restored and set up my account multiple times so i'm assuming that a new phone will still be able to get push? Not sure though.
afurry13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:03 AM   #8
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
It is closed for new devices. As long as you setup and the device is on google's servers, you should be able to restore push. But new devices will not be able to set it up.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:53 AM   #9
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

What's the difference between fetching and pushing?
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:08 AM   #10
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Push is instant! fetch is every 15min 30min 1h etc... Depend on how much set your fetch settings.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:12 AM   #11
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

And I was lead to believe that push is less power intensive. With push, your phone sends out a ping to a server to let it know where it's located on a network, so once theres mail, your server immediately pushes it out to that location, thus your phone gets the email almost instantaneously.

With fetch, your phone is set to query the mail server every set amount of time. Its asks " do you have anything new for me?" every 15 min or whatever interval you set. So this is slower as you only get mail when your phone queries the server, and your phone is querying the server when there is no mail.

Thus push would be the preferred method of emails, but google closed that...
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:57 AM   #12
davidra
macrumors 6502

Check out iMailG. It's what I use for Gmail It has in-app options for push; it supports the use of a password for access to your accounts. I've been using it for several years and it works great.

http://igmail.idemfactor.com/
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Gaidin43
macrumors regular

All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push. The only reason it doesn't is google and apple are pissing and moaning like little girls. They need to get over it and stop screwing with the consumer.
Gaidin43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #14
LAWandHOARDER
macrumors newbie

I am forwarding my Gmail to iCloud and using that to push to my phone.
LAWandHOARDER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidin43 View Post
All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push. The only reason it doesn't is google and apple are pissing and moaning like little girls. They need to get over it and stop screwing with the consumer.
Except Google closed it for everyone, not just Apple users. Windows Mobile doesn't get push Gmail, either, anymore. And there is no Gmail client app for Win Mobile. Even Android users who prefer an alternate email client instead of the Gmail client can't get push.

Unless of course you choose to pay for a paid Google business account...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #16
LoveMyPens
macrumors member

My work around to get Gmail to push is to forward my Gmail to my outlook.com (us to be hotmail.) Outlook.com works with Exchange Sync on the iPhone. Me.com/iCloud.com works well doing this as well but I choose to go with outlook.com because the web interface is much better IMO and outlook.com has more free storage. iCloud.com often gets hung up on my Windows computer or I’d get an error saying it couldn’t connect. That’s been my experience. I am enjoying outlook.com so well that I am seriously considering switching over completely to it. Although having everything forward from Gmail serves as an extra spam filter and a backup for all my emails. I have all my contacts and calendars setup through outlook.com as well. After a week now, I have zero complaints. Good luck
LoveMyPens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Gaidin43
macrumors regular

A paid business account for personal email.... Something I will never pay for same as paying for Internet radio music. Pandora and spotify is perfectly fine with commercials.

Pay for services are starting to get out of control for basic applications and support that used to be free and included. Monthly fees are ridiculous.
Gaidin43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Pay for services are starting to get out of control for basic applications and support that used to be free and included. Monthly fees are ridiculous.
Quote:
All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push.
Ever heard of "you get what you pay for?"

Or maybe "beggars can't be choosers?"

Or how about "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"

Bottom line: You can't complain about free stuff jerking you around AND complain that some things cost money. Pick one and complain about the other, but you don't get to take both sides.
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
youknome
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Google Apps business account. They will still do push via exchange.
How do I do that? I've got a Google Apps business account, I can't seem to find the settings ?
youknome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:55 PM   #20
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknome View Post
How do I do that? I've got a Google Apps business account, I can't seem to find the settings ?
There's no settings per se. Just add the mail account to your iOS device as per instructions for Gmail via Exchange.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:51 PM   #21
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Server pushes. Client pulls.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

I suppose one option would be having gmail forward everything to an iCoud account. Not the most elegant, but if you MUST have emails immediately, it would do the trick.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
A paid business account for personal email.... Something I will never pay for same as paying for Internet radio music. Pandora and spotify is perfectly fine with commercials.

Google pays Microsoft a licensing fee for Exchange. That's why you need a paid email account to use Exchange on Gmail. Did you expect Google to pay for third party license and give it to you for free? That's why it's not free any more.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:56 PM   #24
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:

Well, then you don't get push!

GMail's decision to end push for free accounts was purely business related: it costs them money to license Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft, not to mention that every time you read your email through a built in smartphone email client, they can't serve you ads and so, get no money from advertisers to pay for the service.

Ending support of EAS (and Push) for free accounts means that Google no longer has to pay for hundreds of millions of instances of it, while they were getting zero revenue for you using it. Microsoft feels that push e-mail from competitors that use their technologies shouldn't be free, and up to now, Google's been paying your way. Now, they don't want to anymore.

Of course, if you're paying for your e-mail, then Google has an incentive to pay the EAS license fee for your account, and give you back push e-mail... along with not serving you ads, and not harvesting your data for the purpose of serving you customized ads.

But since you MUST have everything free, you are more than welcome to set up your own carrier-grade server in a datacenter, pay for the monthly internet connection and electricity, foot the bill for the hardware and build out your own software, and pay Microsoft for the privilege of an EAS license. Because clearly doing all of this costs NO one money.

Or, you can switch to iCloud, which is pretty much financed by the huge profit margin that's built into your iOS device, and so is basically paid for. Unless you want more than 5GB of storage.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:55 AM   #25
araje
macrumors regular

Have you guys used Sparrow anytime?

It's one of the bests gmail clients I have ever used.
JB your phone and install Sparrow+
Voila! You have push mail.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone