Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I know Google ended Exchange support. Is there any possible way to get push gmail through the regular Apple Mail app or must I refresh my email everytime to see new emails?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You can set it up to use fetch so it automatically checks every so often, no need to refresh manually, but you can't do push anymore.

The Gmail app supports push.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I know Google ended Exchange support. Is there any possible way to get push gmail through the regular Apple Mail app or must I refresh my email everytime to see new emails?

Nope no way. Only for existing users that registered devices before January 30

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
An alternative is the app named 'Boxcar.'

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxcar/id321493542

You give it your Gmail password and it checks it frequently and IT sends you a push notice when you have mail. You can then set your iPhone's mail to a 'manual' schedule and only check it when Boxcar tells you to.

It's not quite as perfect as real push email, but it's really darned close. If you want to keep using Gmail it's a good compromise.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
for those who have gmail pushing if u get a new idevice and setup gmail as exchange u wont get push?

I have restored and set up my account multiple times so i'm assuming that a new phone will still be able to get push? Not sure though.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
for those who have gmail pushing if u get a new idevice and setup gmail as exchange u wont get push?

It is closed for new devices. As long as you setup and the device is on google's servers, you should be able to restore push. But new devices will not be able to set it up.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
And I was lead to believe that push is less power intensive. With push, your phone sends out a ping to a server to let it know where it's located on a network, so once theres mail, your server immediately pushes it out to that location, thus your phone gets the email almost instantaneously.

With fetch, your phone is set to query the mail server every set amount of time. Its asks " do you have anything new for me?" every 15 min or whatever interval you set. So this is slower as you only get mail when your phone queries the server, and your phone is querying the server when there is no mail.

Thus push would be the preferred method of emails, but google closed that...:(

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push. The only reason it doesn't is google and apple are pissing and moaning like little girls. They need to get over it and stop screwing with the consumer.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push. The only reason it doesn't is google and apple are pissing and moaning like little girls. They need to get over it and stop screwing with the consumer.

Except Google closed it for everyone, not just Apple users. Windows Mobile doesn't get push Gmail, either, anymore. And there is no Gmail client app for Win Mobile. Even Android users who prefer an alternate email client instead of the Gmail client can't get push.

Unless of course you choose to pay for a paid Google business account...

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
My work around to get Gmail to push is to forward my Gmail to my outlook.com (us to be hotmail.) Outlook.com works with Exchange Sync on the iPhone. Me.com/iCloud.com works well doing this as well but I choose to go with outlook.com because the web interface is much better IMO and outlook.com has more free storage. iCloud.com often gets hung up on my Windows computer or I’d get an error saying it couldn’t connect. That’s been my experience. I am enjoying outlook.com so well that I am seriously considering switching over completely to it. Although having everything forward from Gmail serves as an extra spam filter and a backup for all my emails. I have all my contacts and calendars setup through outlook.com as well. After a week now, I have zero complaints. Good luck :)

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
A paid business account for personal email.... Something I will never pay for same as paying for Internet radio music. Pandora and spotify is perfectly fine with commercials.

Pay for services are starting to get out of control for basic applications and support that used to be free and included. Monthly fees are ridiculous.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Pay for services are starting to get out of control for basic applications and support that used to be free and included. Monthly fees are ridiculous.

All these other apps are not acceptable. The iOS mail app MUST work with push.

Ever heard of "you get what you pay for?"

Or maybe "beggars can't be choosers?"

Or how about "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"

Bottom line: You can't complain about free stuff jerking you around AND complain that some things cost money. Pick one and complain about the other, but you don't get to take both sides.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I suppose one option would be having gmail forward everything to an iCoud account. Not the most elegant, but if you MUST have emails immediately, it would do the trick.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
A paid business account for personal email.... Something I will never pay for same as paying for Internet radio music. Pandora and spotify is perfectly fine with commercials.

Google pays Microsoft a licensing fee for Exchange. That's why you need a paid email account to use Exchange on Gmail. Did you expect Google to pay for third party license and give it to you for free? That's why it's not free any more.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Well, then you don't get push!

GMail's decision to end push for free accounts was purely business related: it costs them money to license Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft, not to mention that every time you read your email through a built in smartphone email client, they can't serve you ads and so, get no money from advertisers to pay for the service.

Ending support of EAS (and Push) for free accounts means that Google no longer has to pay for hundreds of millions of instances of it, while they were getting zero revenue for you using it. Microsoft feels that push e-mail from competitors that use their technologies shouldn't be free, and up to now, Google's been paying your way. Now, they don't want to anymore.

Of course, if you're paying for your e-mail, then Google has an incentive to pay the EAS license fee for your account, and give you back push e-mail... along with not serving you ads, and not harvesting your data for the purpose of serving you customized ads.

But since you MUST have everything free, you are more than welcome to set up your own carrier-grade server in a datacenter, pay for the monthly internet connection and electricity, foot the bill for the hardware and build out your own software, and pay Microsoft for the privilege of an EAS license. Because clearly doing all of this costs NO one money.

Or, you can switch to iCloud, which is pretty much financed by the huge profit margin that's built into your iOS device, and so is basically paid for. Unless you want more than 5GB of storage.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Have you guys used Sparrow anytime?

It's one of the bests gmail clients I have ever used.
JB your phone and install Sparrow+
Voila! You have push mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.