Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
absolut_mac
macrumors 6502a
 
absolut_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Tape Hiss?

I have about 30 compact cassettes of music that I compiled from my long gone LP collection that I would like to convert and transfer to my HD. Fortunately I still have an excellent player to play them with, but that still leaves the problem of tape hiss.

Any recommendations for software that will remove as much tape hiss as possible but without degrading the sound? The only one that I'm aware of is Sound Soap - surely there's got to be more and better options out there than only that one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Hopefully I put this in the right sub-forum, or would it be better to post this in the software sub-forum?
absolut_mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816
 
fsck-y dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut_mac View Post
I have about 30 compact cassettes of music that I compiled from my long gone LP collection that I would like to convert and transfer to my HD. Fortunately I still have an excellent player to play them with, but that still leaves the problem of tape hiss.

Any recommendations for software that will remove as much tape hiss as possible but without degrading the sound? The only one that I'm aware of is Sound Soap - surely there's got to be more and better options out there than only that one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Hopefully I put this in the right sub-forum, or would it be better to post this in the software sub-forum?
Audacity has the feature you're looking for and it's a free, open source, application.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Here's a tip for cassette noise removal from their wiki page: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/No...#Special_cases

I really don't know much about removing noise so hopefully this helps. Good luck! Oh, and the Digital Audio sub-forum would probably be better for this type of question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
fsck-y dingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
absolut_mac
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
absolut_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck-y dingo View Post
...I really don't know much about removing noise so hopefully this helps. Good luck! Oh, and the Digital Audio sub-forum would probably be better for this type of question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
I posted on the Digital Audio sub-forum and got a few more suggestions. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
absolut_mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
marioman38
macrumors 6502a
 
marioman38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle.Wa
Tell me more of this "Compact Cassette" you speak of
__________________
Mac: 2011 Air 13" i5 1.7 256gb
Desktop: XPS 8500 i7 3.4ghz 8GB RAM, 5TB HD
iPhone: 5 Slate 16GB (AT&T)
marioman38 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816
 
fsck-y dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman38 View Post
Tell me more of this "Compact Cassette" you speak of
I can't tell if you're being funny or just trying to make me feel old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette
fsck-y dingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
SparkyCanada
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck-y dingo View Post
I can't tell if you're being funny or just trying to make me feel old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette
Was wondering about the term "Compact Cassette" myself. Who knew....

SparkyCanada
SparkyCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:46 AM   #7
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada View Post
Was wondering about the term "Compact Cassette" myself. Who knew....
Too young to remember other tape formats like 8-track, reel-to-reel, etc?
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
SparkyCanada
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Too young to remember other tape formats like 8-track, reel-to-reel, etc?
Actually - never used the term "compact" with cassette - they were just cassettes....

Grew up placing matchbooks in my 8-track machine between the tape and the chassis - so it would play properly....

SparkyCanada
SparkyCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816
 
fsck-y dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut_mac View Post
I posted on the Digital Audio sub-forum and got a few more suggestions. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
You're welcome. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada View Post
Actually - never used the term "compact" with cassette - they were just cassettes....

I feel a little better now.

I always called them either cassettes or tapes. I remember seeing Compact Cassette printed on a few so I recognized what it was right away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada View Post
Grew up placing matchbooks in my 8-track machine between the tape and the chassis - so it would play properly....

SparkyCanada
You'd think Nintendo would have learned before creating the NES. I always had to stick a second game cartridge in backwards so the one I was trying to play would stay down.
fsck-y dingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:44 AM   #10
7enderbender
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North East US
Audacity will work well if used carefully and conservatively. I wouldn't try to kill all tape hiss since it may effect other stuff in that same frequency range. Don't remember what the actual frequencies are but they're clearly low enough to affect other high frequency sounds.

If you have a good tape deck you might want to try the build in NR first and then boost highs later in Audacity (or similar program). For eliminating tape hiss between songs and such I would try a gate also.
__________________
iPhone 5, iPod classic 160gb
Mac Mini i7 256GB SSD 8GB RAM; NEC 27" monitor; 13" rMBP, 256SSD 8GB RAM, IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop
7enderbender is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
locking sound hiss yanki01 iOS 7 4 Oct 6, 2013 10:58 PM
MacBook Pro Retina Fan hiss asdfgbg MacBook Pro 11 Sep 23, 2013 01:38 PM
Analogue Tape Hiss? absolut_mac Digital Audio 8 Mar 28, 2013 07:53 PM
iPad Mini static noise; hiss fenjen iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jan 6, 2013 10:16 AM
Why some CDs have hiss when ripping? BasilFawlty Mac Applications and Mac App Store 9 Aug 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC