Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperFreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I'm in the process of swapping my mac G5 with my patents home dell computer, so I can use their dell 20" monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro, In order to use my Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, I want to use the dell screen with my MBP.

But I just thought, can I solve this by being able to connect my MBP to my G5 instead? Is this possible?

Do I just need to get a MBP Mini DisplayPort to G5 display port or something?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am not sure I understand you correctly with all the swapping and such, but if you want to connect your MBP to the Dell display, you do it directly without going via the G5, since whatever G5 you use does not have a DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort interface and also does not have a video-in interface.

SuperFreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Basically I just want to use a PC or TV screen with my MBP. I've hooked up my family dell PC monitor to my MBP with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and everything worked fine, not great video quality, but none the less it worked...

On the other note, I actually have a mac G5 in my studio, and I was just wondering if it was possible to hook my MBP straight up to the G5, to use the G5 screen as a 2nd monitor?

Without having to swap my G5 for my patents fell computer.. You understand?

I don't want to say goodbye to my G5, even tho I don't really has it much lol.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Basically I just want to use a PC or TV screen with my MBP. I've hooked up my family dell PC monitor to my MBP with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and everything worked fine, not great video quality, but none the less it worked...

On the other note, I actually have a mac G5 in my studio, and I was just wondering if it was possible to hook my MBP straight up to the G5, to use the G5 screen as a 2nd monitor?

Not really, since the G5 iMac (I presume, as the G5 PowerPC architecture was also in use with the G5 PowerMac) does not have any video input.
You could try ScreenRecycler or AirDisplay (though am not sure if it runs on pre Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Macs).

SuperFreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Damn, okay then. I'm sure someone said to me that the G5 doesn't have video support. That really sucks!?

Okay cheers then. Just found out that the dell monitor has a DVI input so I can actually use that instead of VGA!

Cheers

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Ive used ScreenRecycler on a G4 running Tiger, just use v1.38 (download here)

The demo can be used. Its only restriction is a 20 minute time out (clamshell will be a pain though.)

SuperFreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Okay what exactly does this do?
A program that just picks up over wifi or something, do I not need any cables?

Does the screen **** down every 20 minuets!?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

It goes over your network connection- Wired or Wireless.

You could have a look at this, too.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It works via a network connection, thus you need both computers on the same network, and while Wi-Fi might be okay, better would be using Ethernet, maybe even Gigabit Ethernet depending on the iMac you have, thus you need a Cat5e or Cat6 cable, should cost around 5 to 10 €.

The demo ends after 20 minutes, thus you have to reestablish the connection within the software, if you want to use ScreenRecycler and not pay for it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

You can boot your MBP into the G5 if it is an older model that will boot Leopard 10.5.8.

I used to boot my Powerbook into my 2009 mac mini all the time.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Are we talking about a G5 iMac?

Regardless, Target Display mode wasn't added to iMacs until the 2009 models so I don't believe there's an official solution, you'd have to go third party for something like that.

If you're talking about actually booting your iMac/PowerMac G5 from your MacBook Pro, you might be able to do that by connecting the MBP as a FireWire target disk, and then selecting it under Startup Disk and restarting.

That'll only work if your MBP is running 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard though. 10.6 Snow Leopard and above dropped PowerPC support.

A much easier solution might be to just unplug the monitor you want to use from your G5 and connect the MBP to it instead and run in clamshell mode.

SuperFreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Are we talking about a G5 iMac?

Regardless, Target Display mode wasn't added to iMacs until the 2009 models so I don't believe there's an official solution, you'd have to go third party for something like that.

If you're talking about actually booting your iMac/PowerMac G5 from your MacBook Pro, you might be able to do that by connecting the MBP as a FireWire target disk, and then selecting it under Startup Disk and restarting.

That'll only work if your MBP is running 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard though. 10.6 Snow Leopard and above dropped PowerPC support.

A much easier solution might be to just unplug the monitor you want to use from your G5 and connect the MBP to it instead and run in clamshell mode.

Yep, it's an iMac G5 running 10.5 (I think) my MBP is running 10.6.8!

I'm gojng to try the screenrecylce but tbh I might just swap the G5 with my parents dell PC and just use that screen with my MBP.

Would love to not have to get rid of my g5 tho :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.