Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

Ōllo clip.

So I wanted to take more pictures, and get some cool shots but I was extremely short in money. I started thinking to maybe buy an entry level DSLR, and maybe try to take it up as a hobby, but then I sat down and did the math and to get exactly what I wanted was going to be upwards of $1200 (which I don't have being a college student.) I wondered if they made any type of attachment for the iPhone 5, and yep I found the Ōllo Clip. It's $69.99 at the Apple store, and it really is just a lens attachment with three different views: Wide angle, Fish eye, and Macro. I have been trying it out, and have gotten some pretty dandy pictures. Tell me what you think!

Colombian by birth, but American by privilege.
MR.HFG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.HFG View Post
So I wanted to take more pictures, and get some cool shots but I was extremely short in money.
I like the pictures i take with my 5 year old G9 Powershot. Honestly, it looks a bit better than this. Either the lens suck or your photography could use a little improvement, no offense just my opinion.
Ddyracer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
I like the pictures i take with my 5 year old G9 Powershot. Honestly, it looks a bit better than this. Either the lens suck or your photography could use a little improvement, no offense just my opinion.
No offense taken. We are all entitled to our opinion, but yes I'm sure it is a combination of the two.

Last edited by dejo; Mar 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Quoted post / response deleted.
MR.HFG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Sylon
macrumors 68000

I've had one for awhile now on my iPhone 4S and love it. It's not perfect, it blocks the flash completely and some of the wide angle shots are a bit more distored than some would like. But it's great for a lot of shots in a small package. Also, it helps correct the "zoom" that the video camera on the iPhone has, so if you use the wide-angle lens for the video camera, you can get the same "zoom" as the normal photo camera on the iPhone. I've used it for a couple of my unboxing videos on YouTube.

I still have my DSLR for more serious shots, and I plan on getting a mirrorless camera as well. But this lens kit is great for cheap, creative photos on the go.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Id have thought a second hand compact camera for $30 would produce better shots. I really have no idea why the choice was between this and $1200 of dslr and lenses?

It is an interesting add on tho and produces some unique looking shots so im glad your happy.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
So I wanted to take more pictures, ...
Don't let the negative comments put you off. You are having fun, and you're experimenting. There are some nice photos in there. I can also tell you that when a professional photographer gets a new lense they can and will take all sorts of goofy looking photos too. It is the only way to figure out what works for you. The only difference is that the professional probably doesn't post them all. But you're not a pro... you are having fun, and you are experimenting... And I think you should more of it.

There is also site called PhotoJoJo that sells all sorts of interesting 'bits' that clip onto an iPhone to extend its capability as well. Well priced, usually. I suggest you check it out. I don't do cell phone photos, but I've bought some interesting and usual things from them for my camera kit.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #7
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Don't let the negative comments put you off. You are having fun, and you're experimenting.

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! Advice taken.
I have taken plenty pictures, and just decided on those quickly.
OH NO! I didn't know photographers practiced?!?! Haha.

You have to start somewhere. Right?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Id have thought a second hand compact camera for $30 would produce better shots. I really have no idea why the choice was between this and $1200 of dslr and lenses?

It is an interesting add on tho and produces some unique looking shots so im glad your happy.

Thank you. I didn't mean to offend so many people with such a simple thread.

Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thank you. I didn't mean to offend so many people with such a simple thread.
I wasn't meaning to be rude. The device itself is cool and the pictures are good. I was just puzzled that you seemed to feel your choices were this or a dslr with nothing in between.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:45 PM   #9
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I wasn't meaning to be rude. The device itself is cool and the pictures are good. I was just puzzled that you seemed to feel your choices were this or a dslr with nothing in between.
No problem. I did however think that a point and shoot wouldn't be any better than my iPhone, and didn't give me the attachments I wanted, unless I went to like a Nikon J1 or something similar. Again, it's the most fun for the cheapest.

Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:57 AM   #10
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery