Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

THX Sues Apple Over Alleged 'Narrow Profile Speaker' Patent Infringement

Bloomberg reports that THX, the sound innovation company that traces its origins to George Lucas and Lucasfilm 30 years ago, has filed suit against Apple in U.S. District Court over alleged infringement of a speaker patent by the iMac, iPhone and iPad product lines.
Quote:
THX holds a 2008 patent for a speaker unit that can boost sound output and attach to computers or flat-screen televisions, according to a complaint filed yesterday in federal court in San Jose,*California.
THX is claiming that the infringement has caused it "monetary damage and irreparable harm" and is seeking either an order to stop the alleged infringement and a reasonable royalty or damages to compensate THX for any lost profit.

The sound company alleges that undisclosed iPad and iMac models, as well as the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, are infringing upon the patent. As noted by AppleInsider, the device that most resembles THX's patent is the newly redesigned iMac, which features long channels that allow audio to be projected from the thin bottom edge of the machine.

There is of course still a chance for the two companies to reach a settlement, as the deadline for Apple to meet with THX and its counsel over initial disclosure is May 14, with initial disclosures due on June 7 and the initial case management conference a week later on June 14.

If the two sides do not agree on a settlement, Apple's arguments in court will likely hinge on disputing the patent's validity.

Notably, Tom Holman, creator of the original THX standard, joined Apple in mid-2011 to provide "technical direction" on the company's audio efforts.

THX also has a presence on Apple's App Store for iOS devices in the form of THX tune-up, an app released in January that allows users to calibrate televisions and surround sound systems.

Article Link: THX Sues Apple Over Alleged 'Narrow Profile Speaker' Patent Infringement
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

This should be fun.
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
NewAnger
Banned

It would be easier to post a list of who is not suing Apple.
NewAnger is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Premium1
macrumors 6502

What comes around, goes around apple.
Premium1 is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Skika
macrumors 68020

Lol at "narow speaker placement" patent.

Who gives out this stuff seriously?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
samh004
macrumors 68020

So they have a patent for a speaker that projects sound through a narrow slot... that's a pretty handy patent to have, because no one would think of doing that...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
nzalog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
What comes around, goes around apple.
Yeah I mean Samsung didn't deserve it...

Hell, I hope Apple pays out if this patent is truly legit. Can't say I wish anything positive towards Samsung, it's like a parasite you can't shake off.
nzalog is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 PM   #8
ConCat
Banned

Oh great, patents again. If I patent patents, can I sue everyone who owns a patent? One can dream.
ConCat is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

Inventions / great ideas should be protected but some of this stuff is so vague!
JodyK is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Everyone wants a piece of Apple's cake.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:13 PM   #11
komodrone
Banned

can someone explain to me why THX waits until several products come out from Apple to file a suit? is it because they'll get more money if they wait? or does filing a suit take that long?
komodrone is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:15 PM   #12
ThomasNuffan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Notably, Tom Holman, creator of the original THX standard, joined Apple in mid-2011 to provide "technical direction" on the company's audio efforts.

it's a trap!!
ThomasNuffan is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:16 PM   #13
141n5
macrumors member

Patents, again.

The audience isn't listening
141n5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:18 PM   #14
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

I don't like litigation, but Apple should invent its own stuff
swingerofbirch is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:20 PM   #15
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Maybe the company that patented "using a smartphone" and "rectangle with rounded corners".

aka Apple
irDigital0l is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Adam22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Everyone wants a piece of Apple's cake.
*everyone wants a bite of Apple's Apple.
Adam22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #17
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Lol at "narow speaker placement" patent.

The exact same people who gave Apple a patent for a black or white oblong with rounded corners

And I like how THX used the same argument as Apple's lawyers did against Samsung: "monetary damage and irreparable harm"

And why do people state everyone wants a bite of Apple? erm, no, THX designed something and hold a patent for it and Apple are using it without abiding by patent law and paying for the technologies use. THX are totally obliged to take Apple to court for that. Because Apple would! And you would all be complaining how THX 'stole' from Apple, well this is just another example of how Apple 'steals' from others just as much IMO.

Last edited by apolloa; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
apolloa is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:22 PM   #18
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
I don't like litigation, but Apple should invent its own stuff
The thing is, there isn't any evidence that they did knowingly infringe on any patents. This is the thing that gets me. If people genuinely come up with the same idea independently, but one patents it first, the other guy could get sued. It makes you a little nervous about inventing anything to be quite honest... There are a seemingly endless pile of patents out there, and any one of them could be enough to sue me.
ConCat is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 PM   #19
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
The thing is, there isn't any evidence that they did knowingly infringe on any patents. This is the thing that gets me. If people genuinely come up with the same idea independently, but one patents it first, the other guy could get sued. It makes you a little nervous about inventing anything to be quite honest... There are a seemingly endless pile of patents out there, and any one of them could be enough to sue me.
I agree. I think the root of the problem lies in the broken patent system. It's very difficult to search through all the tens of thousands of patents, as well as attempting to interpret what it's all talking about and the limitations of such patents.
dennno is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:36 PM   #20
jontech
macrumors 6502

Could this be the result of the former THX employee going to Apple?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:36 PM   #21
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
can someone explain to me why THX waits until several products come out from Apple to file a suit? is it because they'll get more money if they wait? or does filing a suit take that long?
Probably a combination of not being aware of the alleged breach, and then the preparation for filing. I think (hope) companies dont pull apart every new product, compare to their stock of patents, and launch pre-pared suits.
lk400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:38 PM   #22
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Maybe the company that patented "using a smartphone" and "rectangle with rounded corners".
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
The exact same people who gave Apple a patent for a black or white oblong with rounded corners
Ah, the latest favorite anti-Apple chestnut. Dilger would have a word.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2013/0...gic/#more-4791

Last edited by maflynn; Mar 18, 2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Deleted post removed from quote
LagunaSol is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:39 PM   #23
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

All these lawsuits, who do they benefit really? Lawyers? They're just as bad as chasing ambulances.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:40 PM   #24
bluespark
macrumors 6502

Quote:

If the two sides do not agree on a settlement, Apple's arguments in court will like hinge on disputing the patent's validity.
Seriously? The author of this post doesn't expect Apple to take the far more typical front-line stance of non-infringement?
bluespark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:45 PM   #25
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Ah, the latest favorite anti-Apple chestnut. Dilger would have a word.
Are people actually defending Apple because they infringed another company's patent?

God I own an iPhone and iPad but this is just sad.

Worst part of following Apple is all the moronic fans that defend it.
irDigital0l is offline   35 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion