Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Had one for three days. The fit of the lid portion was pretty poor, and it cracked after a couple days of use. It's pretty obvious from reading reviews I just got a bad one, but B&H was out of stock of replacements and Moshi's customer service politely informed me that the warranty replacement process for my brand new product would take a couple weeks and that I would have to pay shipping both ways. This struck me as unacceptable on two pieces of very thin plastic which cost $32.50 each, so I returned it and replaced it with an InvisibleShield, with which I have been very happy.

YMMV.

On the bright side, it didn't do any damage to the computer :)

aman20177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Had one for three days. The fit of the lid portion was pretty poor, and it cracked after a couple days of use. It's pretty obvious from reading reviews I just got a bad one, but B&H was out of stock of replacements and Moshi's customer service politely informed me that the warranty replacement process for my brand new product would take a couple weeks and that I would have to pay shipping both ways. This struck me as unacceptable on two pieces of very thin plastic which cost $32.50 each, so I returned it and replaced it with an InvisibleShield, with which I have been very happy.

YMMV.

On the bright side, it didn't do any damage to the computer :)

Last edited:

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I've had back experience with Speck with even my 2nd replacement having the same fault. So I asked for the Moshi instead, even though I haven't even seen any reviews about it but reviews about the MBA case was 10/10. I'm hoping this case is going to be better than the Speck SmartShell. Otherwise I'm out of ideas here!

speck is the best one, u msut be using it wrong

M Powered

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I was gonna get the moshi to replace my hammered hardshell by incase because I kinda want a smooth design. But now I'm thinking of keeping it.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Does that case differ much from the $2 cheaper iPearl mCover? Yeah I know...trying to save a few on a $2000+ laptop is a shame, but figure I'd ask!

Funny you should ask. I have both. They're both fine but the mcover has raisers in the bottom rear to lift your macbook up a tad. They're pretty similar and can't go wrong with both. None of them scratched the macbook but both cases itself have been scratched. I like the one I linked you too because the company overs both matte and glossy. mcover is more matte. I chose glossy black and its pretty good but sometimes it looks like a different color in the light since you can't truly have a clear black. Either way, try them out. That's what I did. Amazon has a great return policy thats painless.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Okay. So I purchased the Moshi case, Bottom fitted just fine and it was a nice tight fit.

Top piece would not even fit. Managed to get only 3x clips in and the others. Well, lets say I would have to put so much force that the screen would end up breaking.

Definitely don't recommend the Moshi nor the Speck. I guess we are left for Sleeve protection only :)

Similar issues with the one I had. Glad to know I made the right choice returning it.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Crazy aye! I really thought Moshi did good products. What did you end up getting? Is that invisible shield going okay?

I'm quite content with it. I've put on a few InvisibleShields in the past and I'm not sure I would recommend starting with this one, but the install process was no more time consuming than I expected and-- like all the others-- it looked pretty lousy (bubbles, discoloration, etc) for a day or two before drying, after which it's virtually perfect.

The 'tacky' finish and slightly glossy look aren't for everyone, but I find the tack to give it some needed grip, and the appearance is tolerable. I didn't put the palmrest cover on as, firstly, it made squeaking noises with the rubber seal when closed, and second, I love the feel of the aluminum palmrest and have no great desire to cover it.

Might be worth mentioning that I have the second-generation Thule case and love it as well. Rigid and solid without too much added heft. The waterproof zipper doesn't hurt any either.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
What Thule case do you have? Could you link me to it? :)

Sorry, I intended to do that in the post you quoted. The case is the Gauntlet 2.0:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/H9936ZM/A/thule-15-gauntlet-20-sleeve-for-macbook-pro-or-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Note that other retailers seem to have the first revision of the product, which in my opinion looks more interesting, but apparently has some issues with the zipper. The company offers a 25 year warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much either way.

As far as the case itself, I would personally describe it more as a clamshell than a sleeve. It relies on a Velcro strap rather then an excessively snug fit to keep the computer in place, and has good padding around the edges. You can also use the computer while still in the case for some extra protection without blocking ventilation, the drawback to this being that you have to tuck the Velcro strap underneath.

It also makes a pretty decent lap board.

I primarily use this for extra protection in a backpack that doesn't have a lot of its own padding, and so far it has worked very well.

aman20177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Sorry, I intended to do that in the post you quoted. The case is the Gauntlet 2.0:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313...acbook-pro-or-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Note that other retailers seem to have the first revision of the product, which in my opinion looks more interesting, but apparently has some issues with the zipper. The company offers a 25 year warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much either way.

As far as the case itself, I would personally describe it more as a clamshell than a sleeve. It relies on a Velcro strap rather then an excessively snug fit to keep the computer in place, and has good padding around the edges. You can also use the computer while still in the case for some extra protection without blocking ventilation, the drawback to this being that you have to tuck the Velcro strap underneath.

It also makes a pretty decent lap board.

I primarily use this for extra protection in a backpack that doesn't have a lot of its own padding, and so far it has worked very well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.