Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hi my teacher told me there are methods of how to clone the OSX
i really want to know how do i do this?
i got another HDD just for me to clone it for another computer.
My teacher told me there is a software for cloning OSX to HDDs.
I have researched all over the places, but my luck is not that good.
I want to do this because recently my other imac HDD crashed.
And i bought 2 HDDs one for to work during the HDD inside the imac
and the other one as a back up.

Any help given will be amazingly appreciated! :D

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi my teacher told me there are methods of how to clone the OSX
i really want to know how do i do this?
i got another HDD just for me to clone it for another computer.
My teacher told me there is a software for cloning OSX to HDDs.
I have researched all over the places, but my luck is not that good.
I want to do this because recently my other imac HDD crashed.
And i bought 2 HDDs one for to work during the HDD inside the imac
and the other one as a back up.

Any help given will be amazingly appreciated! :D

THANK YOU!!!

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, version 3.4.7 is still free, later ones not, you can also use it to keep your backup up to date with the use of schedules, it's all build into CCC, and the good news about CCC is it makes bootable backups so if there is a problem you can boot from it and fix the problems or when the OS has problems at a bad time you won't loose time doing the fixing at that time, just boot into the backup and in minutes you are up again.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
SuperDuper is free and will create a bootable clone of your drive. You can pay for it if you need more advance capability (scheduling, Smart Updates, etc). But the free version will get you a basic clone. SD or CC seem to be the 2 most popular one.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
SuperDuper is free and will create a bootable clone of your drive...
I use SuperDuper also. (This is not to say anything negative about CCC.) I used its clone to transfer my entire system to my wife's spare Mac (different model) when mine needed some work done. The "brain transplant" worked perfectly. It takes a couple of hours to create a complete backup image of my hard drive, so I just start the process when I go to sleep. Time Machine, on a different partition of the same 1TB external drive, takes care of changes in between.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

CCC works free for 30 days.
I _think_ SD is free so long as all you want to do is a complete clone (not incremental).

Both will create a complete backup that is BOOTABLE (you can't boot from a Time Machine backup).

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
you need either carboncopycloner or superduper.

Ccc works free for 30 days.
I _think_ sd is free so long as all you want to do is a complete clone (not incremental).

Both will create a complete backup that is bootable (you can't boot from a time machine backup).

wow you guys are amazing your knowledge flows wisely !!!

Thnak you for your help and thank you so much for your time everyone! :)

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
My mac hard drive is bad and won't boot, when I start the laptop I get a flashing folder on my screen. I need to do this but I need to clone the drive first. Can I pull the drive out and connect it to my windows pc then clone it then reinstall in the new hard drive?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Just because you can create a bootable clone of OSx on an external HDD does not mean it will boot on any other computer. For example, you cannot expect a clone of an iMac (or any Mac) to simply boot on a Windows machine. There is more to this than simply creating a clone - it has to have a compatible chipset on the target machine. Also the target machine has to be able to boot a HFS formatted disk and so on.

----------

My mac hard drive is bad and won't boot, when I start the laptop I get a flashing folder on my screen. I need to do this but I need to clone the drive first. Can I pull the drive out and connect it to my windows pc then clone it then reinstall in the new hard drive?

If the HDD is bad cloning the drive won't do you any good - the clone would still be bad most likely. You need to recover from your backup or buy a new HDD and install OSx from scratch.

Windows PCs don't normally even read HFS disks and the clone programs aren't available to run under windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.