Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:18 AM   #1
e5volcano
macrumors regular

Is the latest update considered a refresh?

I'm talking about this new whole chip thing.

Just wondering since I'm finally ready to buy an AppleTV, not sure if I should wait it out for a refresh or if this one counts as one.
e5volcano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Considering it's nearly impossible to predict when a more major update of the AppleTV is coming, and the device cost is fairly low (especially if you buy a refurb), I'd just buy one now if you're in the market for it.

Other than further feature updates via software, I think the only likely further development is supporting third-party apps. Even if Apple does add third-party apps to the AppleTV at some point, it's likely that current models will be supported, even if a new model is released at the same time (unless it's a totally new product, like an actual TV). So I don't think you'd be missing out on anything by having the current model.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5volcano View Post
I'm talking about this new whole chip thing.

Just wondering since I'm finally ready to buy an AppleTV, not sure if I should wait it out for a refresh or if this one counts as one.
If Apple just went to the trouble of designing a chip solely for the AppleTV, I doubt we are going to see an AppleTV4 for quite some time.

Besides, what would an AppleTV4 do that the 3 can't? Many still rock AppleTV2's (even non-jailbroken).

Unless Apple allows for Apps, there isn't anything a more powerful AppleTV will/could do. What would be selling point of the next AppleTV? 1080P? Already have it in the 3. Airplay and Airplay Mirroring? Supported on both AppleTV2 and AppleTV3. Internet streaming services? Supported on Both AppleTV2 and AppleTV3. There is nothing compelling that new hardware will offer to enhance the experience of the AppleTV (until maybe 4K televisions).

It's $99 for a reason....
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater