Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced a new UK retail store in Leeds opening this Thursday, while also posting job ads in Germany for a store in Düsseldorf [Google translation] and a second store in Munich [Google translation]. Apple typically advertises for staff 6-9 months before a store opens, suggesting that the German stores could open late this year.

leeds-800x320.png
The unusual Thursday opening for the new store in Leeds coincides with the grand opening of the Trinity Leeds shopping center where the store is located.

Leeds, situated in the north of England, is Britain's third-largest city (after London and Birmingham), making it surprising that Apple has waited this long. Munich is coincidentally Germany's third-ranking city (behind Berlin and Hamburg), and was rated Germany's most liveable city by Monocle magazine. Düsseldorf is best known as an international business hub, playing host to around 20% of the world's major trade fairs.

Apple currently has over 400 stores worldwide, with global sales exceeding $20 billion in fiscal 2012. Apple has long held the top spot in revenue per square foot among top retail chains, with the most recent estimates for Apple topping $6000 per square foot, double that of Tiffany & Co.

Article Link: Apple Opening New Store in UK This Week, Posts Job Listings for Two New German Stores

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
At last an Apple store in God's own country, West Yorkshire. It opens on my wife's birthday too so I may take her there for a treat. Being from Yorkshire we of course won't go in and actually buy anything.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
At last an Apple store in God's own country, West Yorkshire. It opens on my wife's birthday too so I may take her there for a treat. Being from Yorkshire we of course won't go in and actually buy anything.

It's also my wife's birthday on Thursday too, she's from Yorkshire as well, and we were going to be at her brother's in Leeds on Thursday too (but plans got changed) so I would have taken her there for a treat too - but I'm from Lancashire so would have bought something :p

Small world eh?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
As a Mancunian I am used to having to reluctantly accept Brummies' delusions of superiority, if only based purely on population statistics. However, this usurping by the admittedly fine city of Leeds is a new one on me.

Look, I corrected it for you.

Leeds, situated in the north of England, is Britain's fourth-largest city (after London, Birmingham and Manchester), making it surprising that Apple has waited this long.

Last edited:

Littleman

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
As a Mancunian I am used to having to reluctantly accept Brummies' delusions of superiority, based purely on population statistics. However, this usurping by the admittedly fine city of Leeds is a new one on me.

Look, I corrected it for you.

I logged on just to make the exact same comment. iManc.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
It's also my wife's birthday on Thursday too, she's from Yorkshire as well, and we were going to be at her brother's in Leeds on Thursday too (but plans got changed) so I would have taken her there for a treat too - but I'm from Lancashire so would have bought something :p

Small world eh?

Small world indeed!
Don't spoil her, it's the road to ruin ;)

Definition of a Yorkshireman " A Scotsman with the generosity removed".

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Good news! KRCS Leeds is rubbish!

Really? I bought my first ever Mac from there (mid-2009 MBP) and they were really helpful.

I went in to get more RAM put in my machine not long back and they were brilliant. Really nice guys who run it.

Hope they don't lose their jobs when the new Apple Store opens!

Twix980

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Really? I bought my first ever Mac from there (mid-2009 MBP) and they were really helpful.

I went in to get more RAM put in my machine not long back and they were brilliant. Really nice guys who run it.

Hope they don't lose their jobs when the new Apple Store opens!
I bought my Macbook from them, not sure why as they didn't seem bothered to sell me it - maybe because I wasn't dressed up(!)

Anyway when I had issues with it, they're responce was "you need to speak to Apple" when I phoned them. I also took it in for them to help me with something and instead of asking me what it is I wanted help with they said to me "You need to book it in for servicing".

All I wanted to know was how to get to the recovery partition, wasn't a massive job, just simply pressing ALT when it started up, I still don't understand why I needed to book a service to be told to press ALT when my mac starts up...

Needless to say I won't use them again.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Good news! KRCS Leeds is rubbish!

Maybe so, but some people aren't fans of the Apple stores, either. The independents are better, quieter, easier to pick up a new Mac.

Down here in Bath, we have the big official Apple Store and a long-standing independent, Farpoint. It's far easier going in to Farpoint on a lunchtime, than the Apple Store.

Unless you head to the Apple Store first thing on a morning, by lunch onwards it's full of kids, foreign students using the computers to access Facebook and you even see the odd down-and-out using them for free internet access. Want to ask a question? Be prepared to queue. Sometimes you have to book a Genius meeting 24 hours in advance, even for a quick question.

Walk in to Farpoint, at any time, ask a question almost immediately.

Apple Stores aren't always the experience people think they are. Go in on a Saturday and it's just chaos. Disorganised chaos. Hardly enjoyable.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
When the flipping heck is Edinburgh, the capital of Scottyland, going to get an Apple store?! :(

aperantos

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
Populations depend on how you count them.

By authority Leeds is indeed the third biggest with a population of 750,700 while Manchester is only the ninth largest with just 502,900. Although on this scale the entire county of Cornwall is fifth because it is covered by a single local authority.

By population of just the city itself, excluding suburbs with their own separate identity, Leeds is fourth at 477,600 with Glasgow in third. Manchester is fifth with 465,900 residents, only 400 more than Bristol.

The only scale on which Manchester does beat Leeds is when counting the urban area, which effectively covers surrounding towns and cities where there is a continuous urban spread.

On that scale Greater Manchester, with a population of 2,362,849, is second only to London, while West Yorkshire is only fourth with 1,616,608. Of course that does mean counting the likes of Oldham, Stockport, Bolton, and Rochdale, and even extending into parts of Cheshire and Lancashire to make up that area. For West Yorkshire extends south and west to include Bradford, Huddersfield, and Wakefield, and the towns in between.

The urban area is clearly not a good definition for a city because it does include so many other places that are known and identified as distinctly separate places.

So in short, Mac Rumors are correct to consider Leeds the third biggest.

Populations are all the most recent ONS figures.

Dephanix

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Maybe so, but some people aren't fans of the Apple stores, either. The independents are better, quieter, easier to pick up a new Mac.

Down here in Bath, we have the big official Apple Store and a long-standing independent, Farpoint. It's far easier going in to Farpoint on a lunchtime, than the Apple Store.

Unless you head to the Apple Store first thing on a morning, by lunch onwards it's full of kids, foreign students using the computers to access Facebook and you even see the odd down-and-out using them for free internet access. Want to ask a question? Be prepared to queue. Sometimes you have to book a Genius meeting 24 hours in advance, even for a quick question.

Walk in to Farpoint, at any time, ask a question almost immediately.

Apple Stores aren't always the experience people think they are. Go in on a Saturday and it's just chaos. Disorganised chaos. Hardly enjoyable.

Deffo agree with what you say about the Southgate shop, carnage is the word lol.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008

Small world eh?

Hi Fellow Lancastrian!

---

And I'm not having that. Manchester is definitely larger than Leeds.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

By authority Leeds is indeed the third biggest with a population of 750,700 while Manchester is only the ninth largest with just 502,900. Although on this scale the entire county of Cornwall is fifth because it is covered by a single local authority.

By population of just the city itself, excluding suburbs with their own separate identity, Leeds is fourth at 477,600 with Glasgow in third. Manchester is fifth with 465,900 residents, only 400 more than Bristol.

The only scale on which Manchester does beat Leeds is when counting the urban area, which effectively covers surrounding towns and cities where there is a continuous urban spread.

On that scale Greater Manchester, with a population of 2,362,849, is second only to London, while West Yorkshire is only fourth with 1,616,608. Of course that does mean counting the likes of Oldham, Stockport, Bolton, and Rochdale, and even extending into parts of Cheshire and Lancashire to make up that area. For West Yorkshire extends south and west to include Bradford, Huddersfield, and Wakefield, and the towns in between.

The urban area is clearly not a good definition for a city because it does include so many other places that are known and identified as distinctly separate places.

So in short, Mac Rumors are correct to consider Leeds the third biggest.

Populations are all the most recent ONS figures.

Hmm. Wikipedia also lists the cities according to the latest ONS data available - the 2011 census and gives the following ranking:

1. London -- 7,375
2. Birmingham -- 1,073,045
3. Leeds -- 751,485
4. Glasgow -- 589,900
5. Sheffield -- 552,698
6. Bradford -- 522,452
7. Manchester -- 503,127
8. Edinburgh -- 468,720
9. Liverpool -- 466,415
10. Bristol -- 428,234

Your figures may be more up to date/correct as those I have quoted show some different results than yours.

The city of London is tiny but determining what constitutes London proper is less than straightforward. Glasgow used to just about trail Birmingham but seems to have lost almost half its population over the last few decades. Manchester was never close to being the UK's second city, to be honest and has even been overhauled by Bradford.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Fly in class there! You must be grateful theres an Apple Store in Yorkshire, I thought leaving the County was frowned upon? :cool:

I think we must be confusing the Americans on here with the casual inter-county discrimination :D

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

Fly in class there! You must be grateful theres an Apple Store in Yorkshire, I thought leaving the County was frowned upon? :cool:

I think we must be confusing the Americans on here with the casual inter-county discrimination :D

There was already one in Yorkshire, but Sheffield is SOUTH Yorkshire, you might as well be in Humberside ;)

They are having to rename the products for then to sell in Leeds though:

t'ayePhone
t'ayeMac
t'ayePod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1by0-nkKOTs

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
I know. :)

And by that Logic, the City of London is down in 325th place with its population of 7,400.

Of course you are correct, but when ranking cities in order of size, you wouldn't count the City of London without the City of Westmister and all the other boroughs in Greater London, and by the same token you wouldn't count the City of Manchester without the City of Salford (although I know many Salfordians who'd be upset if you called them Mancunians) along with Stockport, Oldham and the rest.

Not so. Since basing it on population is clearly only resulting in endless semantic debate, we need to choose a new metric, one that is wholly objective. I propose music. OK, it's a close scrap between Manchester, London and Liverpool, but we're easily in the top 3.

There, argument sorted. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.