Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
There's a practice on these forums by members that is annoying at best and generally wrong. I see many users quote someone's comment and edit what the quoted person said.

For example: if I said "I would like to see a purple iPhone ..."
The quote might be changed to say "I would like to see a white iPhone", I fixed that for you.

On many other forums this practice is strictly against the rules. I'm on my iPad so I can't search therefore I don't know if it has been discussed but I would like to get the view of Arn and/or the moderators.

I personally believe this practice needs to stop.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There's a practice on these forums by members that is annoying at best and generally wrong. I see many users quote someone's comment and edit what the quoted person said.

The quote might be changed to say "I would like to see a white iPhone", I fixed that for you.

On many other forums this practice is strictly against the rules. I'm on my iPad so I can't search therefore I don't know if it has been discussed but I would like to get the view of Arn and/or the moderators.

I agree, I do not like it when people do that.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think the idea is that the poster wants to include the part of the thread they are intending to comment on. It doesn't annoy me that much, but it's something I don't personally do. I can't really see a big issue though.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I think the idea is that the poster wants to include the part of the thread they are intending to comment on. It doesn't annoy me that much, but it's something I don't personally do. I can't really see a big issue though.

No, quoting someone partially is fine and I understand that, especially if its a long original comment. I'm talking about editing the quoted text. Literally changing what it says. Is that a bit clearer?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
No, quoting someone partially is fine and I understand that, especially if its a long original comment. I'm talking about editing the quoted text. Literally changing what it says. Is that a bit clearer?

I know what you're saying and, to me, it depends on context and/or intent. Below is an example of the only time in recent memory that I've done this:

The app is very clear that all photos uploaded automatically are marked as private and cannot be viewed by others until specifically shared by the user Facebook "inadvertently" makes them all public.

Fixed that for you, macrumors bot. :D

What I meant above by "context and/or intent" is that, in the times when I've seen this happen, it's generally been as a joke, like my example here was. However, if someone does it with malicious intent, in part by not bringing attention to the edit, then I would agree that it's wrong to do and I assume that the mods would act on it if they became aware of it.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The macrumors bot is a defenseless person! And you attack him!? Shame on you!

;-)

----------

No it is not clearer, because the other user can not overwrite your original post, only the quoted copy. Other users can see your original post with a single click on the
viewpost.gif
symbol.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's worse when they quote you, change your text, then you edit your post… it's as if what they quoted was really what you said before.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

;-)

----------

No it is not clearer, because the other user can not overwrite your original post, only the quoted copy. Other users can see your original post with a single click on the Image symbol.

But why should that be okay? I shouldn't have to go looking for the original post. It's just not right is all I'm saying. As I said in my OP, I belong to a number of forums where it is strictly prohibited. No one has the right to edit someone else's words in a quote. Not even in jest.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
But why shouldn't that be okay? I can quite easily click the view post button to view the original post. It's just right is all I'm saying. As I said in my OP, I belong to a number of forums where it is strictly mandatory. Everyone has the right to edit someone else's words in a quote. Even in jest.

FTFY. :p

But seriously, I don't see the problem. Some people post appropriately, some people don't. I'm one of them who doesn't, and there isn't much you can do to stop me from editing your posts when I quote them I'm afraid. Other than report my post.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

;-)

:confused: I swear I don't remember writing "snip" earlier... :confused:

:p

But why should that be okay? I shouldn't have to go looking for the original post. It's just not right is all I'm saying. As I said in my OP, I belong to a number of forums where it is strictly prohibited. No one has the right to edit someone else's words in a quote. Not even in jest.

I gave my opinion earlier (obvious joke = okay with me, malicious edit = not okay) however we'll of course need either an admin or a mod response in order to get the "official" position on this.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

We do have a rule for this and when you come across someone doing that, please report it to us. It's generally okay to cut out a section or the majority of a long quote and put <snip> in its place, just to save space. But changing what someone else wrote isn't okay and we moderate those posts under the following rule. That includes edits done in malice or jest.

In the forum rules under minor problems, rule #8:

Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch. When other people (especially new members) fail to search and start new threads on old topics, don't scold them or make them feel unwelcome. The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread or specific instructions for problem solving. Set a good example yourself by searching first before starting a thread if you have a question that may already have been answered in the forums or you want to discuss a topic that may already have been discussed. The exception is articles appearing on our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. These entries are created by our professional staff. If you notice a spelling or grammar error in these articles, please send an e-mail to tips@macrumors.com.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like any response, changing a person's post in a quote can the gamut from funny to trolling. If the intent is to anger or attack another member then the moderation staff will intervene and moderate as per our guidelines.

Personally I'd say that changing a person's post in a quote typically yields negative responses and should be handled by the moderation staff.

Like anything else here at MacRumors, use common sense, and if you see a post that does cross the line then please report it. With the volume of posts that occur here at MacRumors, there's a very good chance that we'll not see the post unless its reported.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
We do have a rule for this and when you come across someone doing that, please report it to us. It's generally okay to cut out a section or the majority of a long quote and put <snip> in its place, just to save space. But changing what someone else wrote isn't okay and we moderate those posts under the following rule. That includes edits done in malice or jest.

In the forum rules under minor problems, rule #8:

Like any response, changing a person's post in a quote can the gamut from funny to trolling. If the intent is to anger or attack another member then the moderation staff will intervene and moderate as per our guidelines.

Personally I'd say that changing a person's post in a quote typically yields negative responses and should be handled by the moderation staff.

Like anything else here at MacRumors, use common sense, and if you see a post that does cross the line then please report it. With the volume of posts that occur here at MacRumors, there's a very good chance that we'll not see the post unless its reported.
Thank you for your input and as suggested I'll report the offending posts when I see them. I just wanted to make sure the rule existed and is enforced.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Tends to bug me more when people constantly quote a post when its just been posted. I understand it allows notifications to pop up etc but does a post #2 reply need to include a quoted #1 post?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Tends to bug me more when people constantly quote a post when its just been posted.

MOD NOTE: Where this gets most annoying is when folks quote a long article only to add a two word response.

Folks, please edit quoted material to only the relevant bits!

B

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Tends to bug me more when people constantly quote a post when its just been posted. I understand it allows notifications to pop up etc but does a post #2 reply need to include a quoted #1 post?
I've seen several instances where a post was later edited or deleted, making some responses to it seem less effective/appropriate. By quoting a post you're responding to, the original content is preserved in spite of later edits, and the appropriateness of the response is clear.
MOD NOTE: Where this gets most annoying is when folks quote a long article only to add a two word response.
I agree! This also pops up a lot where a years-old thread is revived by a first-time poster who only says, "Thank you!" or "This worked!". I wish such posts were not allowed, as they add nothing meaningful to the otherwise dead thread.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't have a problem with it as long as it's made clear that a change was made and what changed.

I agree! This also pops up a lot where a years-old thread is revived by a first-time poster who only says, "Thank you!" or "This worked!". I wish such posts were not allowed, as they add nothing meaningful to the otherwise dead thread.

Actually it is against the policy, and you can flag them.

"Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words"
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've seen several instances where a post was later edited or deleted, making some responses to it seem less effective/appropriate. By quoting a post you're responding to, the original content is preserved in spite of later edits, and the appropriateness of the response is clear.

I appreciate that but its become more common and threads end up with the #1 post quoted over and over.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I appreciate that but its become more common and threads end up with the #1 post quoted over and over.
I don't have a problem with that, as long as they're quoting only the relevant parts of the post they're responding to, as balamw said. It can help avoid confusion about which post is being responded to, especially in a very long, multi-page thread.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't have a problem with it as long as it's made clear that a change was made and what changed.

Actually it is against the policy, and you can flag them.

"Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words"
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Sometimes it is important to respond with a "Thank You" type post, so that others know you have found a solution to your problem, or that the solution(s) offered in the thread are valid.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sometimes it is important to respond with a "Thank You" type post, so that others know you have found a solution to your problem, or that the solution(s) offered in the thread are valid.
I agree, when it's who asked for help in the thread, such as the OP. It's nice to get feedback, knowing the solution posted solved their problem. I don't think it's helpful when someone resurrects a thread that they previously haven't posted in, just to say thanks. I see this happen a lot with years-old threads, usually by someone who resurrects them with a "thank you" as their first and only post, then you never hear from them again. I also see such resurrections to post a solution that was already posted earlier, or to post a "solution" that doesn't work, or applies to a software version that wasn't available at the time the thread was created. I report a lot of these, but it seems the "thank you" posts are allowed to remain, so I stopped reporting those.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I agree, when it's who asked for help in the thread, such as the OP. It's nice to get feedback, knowing the solution posted solved their problem. I don't think it's helpful when someone resurrects a thread that they previously haven't posted in, just to say thanks. I see this happen a lot with years-old threads, usually by someone who resurrects them with a "thank you" as their first and only post, then you never hear from them again. I also see such resurrections to post a solution that was already posted earlier, or to post a "solution" that doesn't work, or applies to a software version that wasn't available at the time the thread was created. I report a lot of these, but it seems the "thank you" posts are allowed to remain, so I stopped reporting those.

Agree, if it's the OP or others confirming that it solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.