Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Cupertino Hotel Adds Apple TVs to Guest Rooms

The trendy Aloft Hotel in Cupertino, which is located a mere two blocks from Apple's headquarters, has installed an Apple TV in each of its 123 rooms. Using the Apple TVs, hotel patrons can access television shows and movies via iTunes, and use Netflix and Hulu in addition to the Apple TV's other apps.

AirPlay is available for playing videos and music, and according to Square International, (via CNET) the company that installed Aloft's Apple TV system, the hotel can use the set-top boxes to provide guests with important information and access to the front desk.
Quote:
The system can be customised to include your branding and images associated with the hotel. Additionally, you can integrate information about hotel services, including room service menus, the spa brochure, restaurant menus, shopping catalogues, local maps and city guides.

Our powerful, yet easy to use PC, Phone or Tablet management system allows Front Desk, Housekeeping or Engineering to use any web-enabled PC to enable / disable the system to act as an additional revenue stream, clear down all guest information with one click and even quickly and clearly see if a unit is offline.
The Apple TVs can be customized with iTunes accounts from any country and are wiped after each use to allow guests to access their private iTunes accounts.

Though the Apple TV is often referred to as Apple's "hobby" project because of its lack of popularity, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that more than two million of the devices had been sold during Q1 2013, an increase of 60 percent year over year.

Cook also reiterated that the Apple TV was an area of intense interest for Apple, saying "I tend to believe that there is a lot we can contribute in this space and we continue to pull the string and see where it leads us."

The Apple TV recently received a stealth update that added a smaller A5 chip to the device, but Apple is rumored to be working on a more substantial upgrade that could range anywhere from improved content and the inclusion of third party apps to a full blown Apple-branded television set.

Article Link: Cupertino Hotel Adds Apple TVs to Guest Rooms
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

Man I hope their WiFi doesn't suck as bad as some places I've been.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

So how much is MR being paid by this hotel?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Apple TV's in every room, and wifi slower then edge.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
bijanorama
macrumors member

My family is definitely ready for apple to shake up the cable tv market. We pay way too much for the 5 or so channels we watch. And no one likes using comcast hardware or services.
bijanorama is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
irDigital0l

Where's iOS 7?
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
tranceme
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Man I hope their WiFi doesn't suck as bad as some places I've been.
Probably using ethernet cables. But, still, total bandwidth would have to be good for everyone to be happy. I mean, tons of people have Netflix accounts. I rarely can do Netflix via a hotel network.
tranceme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
flash84x
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Where's iOS 7?
What? Try in June during the WWDC Keynote.
flash84x is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
hundleton1
macrumors regular

How can they show custom stuff with no web browser on the ATV ?
hundleton1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundleton1 View Post
My guess would be hotel advertisements. Possibly by turning on the apple tv, ads will load before the main apple tv menu. That's my guess
moderngamenewb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:58 PM   #11
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngamenewb View Post
My guess would be hotel advertisements. Possibly by turning on the apple tv, ads will load before the main apple tv menu. That's my guess
Sure... makes sense. But how do you go about customizing an tv? No 3rd part apps, no way into it... nothing. Curious to know if they worked with apple on development for it as maybe a test run.

-je
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:06 PM   #12
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonElise1983 View Post
Sure... makes sense. But how do you go about customizing an tv? No 3rd part apps, no way into it... nothing. Curious to know if they worked with apple on development for it as maybe a test run.

-je
Jailbreak. Once that has been done, you can install other components. They probably offer other components to the hotels to customize them.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
Jailbreak. Once that has been done, you can install other components. They probably offer other components to the hotels to customize them.
1080p one hasn't been jailbroken yet?
Kilamite is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

I've wondered before why hotels don't get Apple TVs.

The Apple TV is still the Apple product that I've gained most use out of and pleasure from owning. It is great, I sell its virtues to anyone who'll listen. I just wish Apple would open it up for developers to create apps.
Zaqfalcon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #15
macrumors regular

Probably that hotel host many visitors who is visiting Apple headquarters. Sometimes companies put important people in hotel rooms when they visit.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:07 PM   #16
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

I stayed in a hotel in Colchester the other week which had an iMac in every room. It had custom software for viewing your bill etc. as well as the facility to use the iMac itself (anything you put on the hard disk is deleted when the machine restarts!), watch DVDs, check messages received via the hotel etc. and utilized the Apple Remote for navigation of the custom interface.

I spent some evenings just watching movies I'd taken along on my pocket drive so it was a better screen from a distance than using my rMBP.

More hotels should do this, as it's the main reason I chose to stay there (Yes, I really am that sad!)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:18 PM   #17
JM-Prod
macrumors member

Gosh, that user interface is ugly...
JM-Prod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Attonine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodexMonkey View Post
I stayed in a hotel in Colchester the other week which had an iMac in every room. It had custom software for viewing your bill etc. as well as the facility to use the iMac itself (anything you put on the hard disk is deleted when the machine restarts!), watch DVDs, check messages received via the hotel etc. and utilized the Apple Remote for navigation of the custom interface.

I spent some evenings just watching movies I'd taken along on my pocket drive so it was a better screen from a distance than using my rMBP.

More hotels should do this, as it's the main reason I chose to stay there (Yes, I really am that sad!)

I stayed in a hotel like this in Bristol. I think it's a chain in several cities throughout England. The bespoke software is pretty neat.
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
gnurf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Prod View Post
Gosh, that user interface is ugly...
You should try it. The interface makes sense for a device with a five-button remote. Best Netflix browser I've found on any device, too.
gnurf is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

iTowels?
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:33 PM   #21
JM-Prod
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnurf View Post
You should try it. The interface makes sense for a device with a five-button remote. Best Netflix browser I've found on any device, too.
Could be, but compared to the elegance of the PS3 interface, the look of this Apple UI is truly horrible... where did the taste go?
JM-Prod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 PM   #22
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundleton1 View Post
Jailbreak it and add whatever they want
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:05 PM   #23
hirshnoc
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
hmm

Why is this on the Mac Blog? Apple TV is an iOS device.
hirshnoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:31 PM   #24
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Prod View Post
Could be, but compared to the elegance of the PS3 interface, the look of this Apple UI is truly horrible... where did the taste go?
Are you talking about the Netflix UI on the PS3? I happen to have Netflix on both my Apple TV 3rd gen and my PS3. I hate the UI for netflix on the PS3.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:11 AM   #25
etarip
macrumors newbie

http://www.square-i.net/Square_[_i_]_In-room_entertainment_on_Apple_TV_41.php

System is a jailbroken ATV 720p version 2

I am not sure how Apple lets this happen at this hotel on their doorstep. They have done a good job with the network management to keep users from seeing or accessing neighboring rooms ATV.
etarip is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion