Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
Can you move reading list items to bookmarks in iOS 6?

My friend has over 1 GB of reading list items and zero bookmarks. I told her if she bookmarked them then she could save more space.

Is this possible?

TIA

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Can you move reading list items to bookmarks in iOS 6?

My friend has over 1 GB of reading list items and zero bookmarks. I told her if she bookmarked them then she could save more space.

Is this possible?

TIA

There's is unfortunately no way to do this.
You girl is very unique, never heard of anything like this^^ 1GB :eek:

You have to visit the pages all again & bookmark 'em... manually

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
There's is unfortunately no way to do this.
You girl is very unique, never heard of anything like this^^ 1GB :eek:

Yeah, when I saw she was running out of space, I looked at her usage and saw over 1 GB of safari's reading list (she has had the iPhone 4 since it came out). She is not very tech savvy and saved everything to the Reading List and had no idea what bookmarks were. Honest mistake I'm sure happens a lot. Something my grandparents would do.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Yeah, when I saw she was running out of space, I looked at her usage and saw over 1 GB of safari's reading list (she has had the iPhone 4 since it came out). She is not very tech savvy and saved everything to the Reading List and had no idea what bookmarks were. Honest mistake I'm sure happens a lot. Something my grandparents would do.

haha I am sorry for her, there will be a lot work to do.
Advice her to use folders^^ (for her bookmarks)

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
haha I am sorry for her, there will be a lot work to do.
Advice her to use folders^^ (for her bookmarks)

LoL. We both decided that it's better to upgrade to a new iphone and start bookmarking on that one instead (with of course the 1 GB of reading list transferred over). Oh and buying a 64GB version just in case. haha

Thanks.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
LoL. We both decided that it's better to upgrade to a new iphone and start bookmarking on that one instead (with of course the 1 GB of reading list transferred over). Oh and buying a 64GB version just in case. haha

Thanks.

:D that's the very best idea I've ever heard lol

I'd just start to simply clean up the reading list...
I am sure there is a bunch of useless *crap* stored^^

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Best solution: On anyone's Mac, start a new user account and log into her iCloud on it. (If she doesn't have one, set that up on her iPhone first.)

Then use Safari with the keyboard and mouse to open and re-save the links as bookmarks. Those bookmarks will re-sync back to her phone and will be TONS faster than doing all of this on a phone or iPad.

Then, when done, you can erase the user account from the Mac.

SuperKirby

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
LAS / OKC
:D that's the very best idea I've ever heard lol

I'd just start to simply clean up the reading list...
I am sure there is a bunch of useless *crap* stored^^

Exactly, tons of useless crap especially from 2010 and 2011 lmao. Bad thing is, it takes way too long to scroll down to the old files so we gave up. We might try...

use Safari with the keyboard and mouse to open and re-save the links as bookmarks. Those bookmarks will re-sync back to her phone and will be TONS faster than doing all of this on a phone or iPad.

Then, when done, you can erase the user account from the Mac.

If that STILL takes too much time, then we'll give up for sure and go with the phone upgrade (32gb or 64gb). Maybe wait for the next gen iPhone (hopefully this late summer?) But I will definitely give that a shot! Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.