Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sage Nabooru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I'm running Windows 7 32 bit on my Mac, OEM version (which means I can't resell it, blah), and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 64 bit or at least getting a 64 bit version of Windows 7 so Boot Camp 5 can support it. (Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm not very familiar with this stuff.) I really don't have the $180 to put down for a retail version, so should I just get another OEM version?I've had a few issues running OEM Windows 7 32 bit on my early 2012 (that is, late 2011) MacBook Pro, and while I don't think that has anything to do with it being OEM, I thought I'd check and make sure.

EDIT: I'm downloading the 64 bit iso, does anyone know how I install it?

Last edited:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Unfortunately, you will have to back up all your applications and network settings as you can't just upgrade from 32 bit to 64-bit. It will require a clean install for full 64-bit. Sorry for the bad news, I know.

Now if you had a different version of Windows 7, say Professional and you wanted Ultimate, then you could just select UPGRADE windows and it won't affect your programs.

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit on my Mac, OEM version (which means I can't resell it, blah), and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 64 bit or at least getting a 64 bit version of Windows 7 so Boot Camp 5 can support it. (Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm not very familiar with this stuff.) I really don't have the $180 to put down for a retail version, so should I just get another OEM version?I've had a few issues running OEM Windows 7 32 bit on my early 2012 (that is, late 2011) MacBook Pro, and while I don't think that has anything to do with it being OEM, I thought I'd check and make sure.

EDIT: I'm downloading the 64 bit iso, does anyone know how I install it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.