Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LBJ23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Hi all,

After 5 years reading this forum, I am finally registered.

Coming from a 2008 Macbook, I am ready to purchase my next laptop that will last me the next 5 years and beyond.

I do need some help deciding between the 13" or the 15"
Whichever one i decide to get will be the maxed out one.

13" will be 3.0 8GB 768GB
15" will be 2.8 16GB 768GB

Overall, I know the 15" is the better and faster machine, but that doesnt really factor in much since i am a very basic user who mainly uses a laptop to browse the web.

Sometimes i would take my laptop ti different places, like work, weekend trips, and maybe during vacation, most of the time, the machine will sit at home.

I do use an external display when I am at home and on my desk.

This will be my only machine, I dont have an iPad.

Hope this is enough info for you guys to help me decide.

I thank everyone for their input on their replies.

thank you Mac fans!:apple:

LBJ23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
The reason i want it max out its because I want a machine that will be able to last me for years and still be fast years down the line.

I'm not one of those who buys a new machine everytime Apple brings one out, can't keep up with these kind of games

LBJ23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
not really but since it was only a $400 extra for the 15" to go from 512 to 768, I figure why not.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'll really only have around $1800 I want to spend. This'd mostly comprise of my tax refund once I can finally file (long story). I don't want to skimp and go 13", leaving me with only the Intel HD 4000 GPU (of which I know isn't bad, but I got a regular white MacBook back in 2007 to replace my 2001 iBook and I regret it), also leaving me with only a dual core i5 or i7. The 15" offers the quad-core configurations that would make my machine last as long as both my MacBook and iBook have in the past.

I'm looking at these deals from Apple.com:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display (if I were to go new)

and

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

I'd go refurbished, but somehow refurbs make me nervous.. I don't want to have a machine that's been used and then I get it in who knows what condition. Also, they each only come with 8GB of RAM for their respective prices, and again, for longevity's sake I'd like 16GB. I really like the Retina resolution so going to a nonRetina model would be sad even if I can upgrade most anything I want in it.

If anyone knows of deals at third-party authorized resellers like MacMall/MacConnection/ClubMac etc that offers more than what I found on Apple's clearance/refurb store, please advise on those as well.

Ideas?
Thanks.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I say get the cMBP 2.5 13". Skip the retina upcharge since the machine will be docked most of the time. Use your savings from buying the base model to up the RAM to 16 and put in a nice 256GB SSD. You can use the factory HD for TimeMachine backups and sell the original RAM plus your '08 to help finance your self-upgrades.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I say get the cMBP 2.5 13". Skip the retina upcharge since the machine will be docked most of the time. Use your savings from buying the base model to up the RAM to 16 and put in a nice 256GB SSD. You can use the factory HD for TimeMachine backups and sell the original RAM plus your '08 to help finance your self-upgrades.

I'd totally sell my 2007 MacBook (listed in my sig) but my mom's already claimed it as a gift for a family friend or her sister... whomever agrees to receive it first... The 1680x1050 res is nice, but I really like how you can have so many pixels on a 15" panel that was previously only possible on a 17" panel. As for SSD upgrades, many people don't realize this but the rMBP's SSD --CAN-- be upgraded with a kit from MacSales.com for around $500 for a 480 GB SSD. Really easy to do.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Retina_2012

Quite the upgrade if you only get the computer with a 128 GB (entry 13" rMBP) or 256 GB (15" entry rMBP). I also like how the machine is so light since it lacks the optical drive and other ports that aren't used as often anymore. Either model would be amazingly better than my 07 MB, but I have time to decide as I've not even filed yet. :)

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
You have the money, so go for the 15" the hardware differences between 15 and 13 are signifigant. Once you are on the 15 there is no signifigant upgrade for your listed needs other than space, which was not established.

Otherwise.

You're talking about maxing out either way and wanting it to still be fast 5 years down the road.

You also clearly stated your needs as basic.

Heres a tip. In 99% of situations the only computer that is "fast" 5 years down the road will be the one you buy years down the road. Especially when you consider the current retina models are basically the bleeding edge and as that technology is adapted across the lineup the comparative price and quality will increase.

With that in mind, don't buy the top end. For double the cost will have a nearly imperceptible difference over your real world use of facebook, mediatakeout, reddit and tmz.

Buy a refurb 15" for <$1800, take the extra money (1k+) set it aside, in a couple years resell the refurb for for over a grand, take that and the money saved and buy a new laptop.

That laptop in 5 years will be significantly faster and more feature rich than any top end rmbp currently available and you will still have money left over.

Math:

Fully loaded 15" rmbp: $3450
Base refurb 15" rmpb: $1780

Both would be tits and way overkill for your stated needs. With both turned off the difference in your hands would be 100% imperceptible. With them turned on and surfing facebook the real world difference once again would be imperceptible.

In 5 years that fully loaded rmbp will be worth well under $1k. Leaving you down $2500 in value and an old laptop due for replacement.

If you buy the retina for a savings of around $1750, set that aside, in 3 or so years sell the retina for about $1k and use that money to buy the current base retina equivalent you will have money left over and a superior computer to the maxed out 15"r you would buy today. It will also still be worth more in 5 years.

Use your head, unless money is no factor than this was a stupid thread to begin with.

Last edited:

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'll really only have around $1800 I want to spend. This'd mostly comprise of my tax refund once I can finally file (long story). I don't want to skimp and go 13", leaving me with only the Intel HD 4000 GPU (of which I know isn't bad, but I got a regular white MacBook back in 2007 to replace my 2001 iBook and I regret it), also leaving me with only a dual core i5 or i7. The 15" offers the quad-core configurations that would make my machine last as long as both my MacBook and iBook have in the past.

I'm looking at these deals from Apple.com:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display (if I were to go new)

and

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

I'd go refurbished, but somehow refurbs make me nervous.. I don't want to have a machine that's been used and then I get it in who knows what condition. Also, they each only come with 8GB of RAM for their respective prices, and again, for longevity's sake I'd like 16GB. I really like the Retina resolution so going to a nonRetina model would be sad even if I can upgrade most anything I want in it.

If anyone knows of deals at third-party authorized resellers like MacMall/MacConnection/ClubMac etc that offers more than what I found on Apple's clearance/refurb store, please advise on those as well.

Ideas?
Thanks.
I just got link number two for 1779 and it's perfect.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
You have the money, so go for the 15" the hardware differences are signifigant.

Otherwise.

You're talking about maxing out either way and wanting it to still be fast 5 years down the road.

Heres a tip. The only computer that is "fast" 5 years down the road will be the one you buy 4 or more years down the road.

With that in mind, don't buy the top end. For double the cost will have a nearly imperceptible difference over your real world use of facebook, mediatakeout, reddit and tmz.

Buy a refurb 15" for <$1800, take the extra money (1k+) set it aside, in a couple years resell the refurb for for over a grand, take that and the money saved and buy a new laptop.

That laptop in 5 years will be significantly faster and more feature rich than any top end rmbp currently available and you will still have money left over.

Math:

Both would be tits and way overkill for your stated needs. With both turned off the difference in your hands would be 100% imperceptible. With them turned on and surfing facebook the real world difference once again would be imperceptible.

In 5 years that fully loaded rmbp will be worth well under $1k. Leaving you down $2500 in value and an old laptop due for replacement.

If you buy the retina for a savings of around $1750, set that aside, in 3 or so years sell the retina for about $1k and use that money to buy the current base retina equivalent you will have money left over and a superior computer to the maxed out 15"r you would buy today. It will also still be worth more in 5 years.

Use your head, unless money is no factor than this was a stupid thread to begin with.

Interesting stand point. As for my 'needs', I like watching hi-def (1080p) content that my i5 Windows 8-based desktop can do just fine. My Santa Rosa MacBook can only do (and sometimes stutters) 720p. I also like making videos and stuff but I hate waiting for stuff to render. My only real "concern" is if the 8GB of RAM fused onto the logic board will be enough for what I listed and other every tasks like some light-moderate gaming (StarCraft 2, maybe the new SimCity once they get their launch issues worked out).

I just got link number two for 1779 and it's perfect.

Perfect as in perfect for you, or perfect as in you could never tell it had been refurbished?

The bottom line is that I want something to replace my aging 2007 model laptop, and this ~$1800 rMBP is really tempting me, and I don't even have the money for it yet! LOL.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I'd go refurbished, but somehow refurbs make me nervous.. I don't want to have a machine that's been used and then I get it in who knows what condition.

Do yourself a favor search this forum or anywhere on the web for experiences from the apple refurb store.

For many people it is the only way they will buy, its that good.

The ONLY perceptible difference is the box the item comes in.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Interesting stand point. As for my 'needs', I like watching hi-def (1080p) content that my i5 Windows 8-based desktop can do just fine. My Santa Rosa MacBook can only do (and sometimes stutters) 720p. I also like making videos and stuff but I hate waiting for stuff to render. My only real "concern" is if the 8GB of RAM fused onto the logic board will be enough for what I listed and other every tasks like some light-moderate gaming (StarCraft 2, maybe the new SimCity once they get their launch issues worked out).

Perfect as in perfect for you, or perfect as in you could never tell it had been refurbished?

The bottom line is that I want something to replace my aging 2007 model laptop, and this ~$1800 rMBP is really tempting me, and I don't even have the money for it yet! LOL.

Perfect as in I can't tell it's refurbished. New battery, case, etc. All the internals have been thoroughly tested and it's eligible for the same Apple Care as the new ones. I have no problem purchasing an Apple refurb.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Do yourself a favor search this forum or anywhere on the web for experiences from the apple refurb store.

For many people it is the only way they will buy, its that good.

The ONLY perceptible difference is the box the item comes in.

Perfect as in I can't tell it's refurbished. New battery, case, etc. All the internals have been thoroughly tested and it's eligible for the same Apple Care as the new ones. I have no problem purchasing an Apple refurb.

Thanks guys. I think I'll know what to do when I finally file and see what I get back, and what I can afford. Also one last question: Is there any real benefit of having it sent to a local ARS vs having it sent to your door?

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008

I bought the base 15" last fall, academic discount and 5% cc reward put me at roughly $1900 for a new unit months before they hit the refurb store.

I was ok with that, had it been at the current moment it would be refurb store no doubt.

My rationale for the base model was stated. The $saved in my head will go toward an upgrade sooner rather than a 5 year cycle.

Far as how it runs. First off I don't have any true professional needs, but I do a fair bit of multitasking. Browser, Mail client, itunes, remote desktop on one or two computers, occasional parallels, aperture, maybe a game or some other program, etc. The 8gb ram has never been an issue. It has never sputtered, stalled or anything, its a beast, even in base model trim.

Looking at activity monitor I do see pageouts on occasion, but a page out on a 400+mBs ssd is a big difference from a page out on a platter drive.

As a whole, it is by far the best computer i've owned. But one day before it hits the sharp dropoff in its depreciation curve it will be sold with a tear in my eye.

Keeping it past that point would be stupid.

----------

Is there any real benefit of having it sent to a local ARS vs having it sent to your door?

Can you avoid sales tax by shipping it up to pheasant lane mall or rockingham park?

Is your door in roxbury/dorchester?

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Haha that's Boston inner city. I live more towards Cambridge. Depending on how excited I'll be to know that it's out for delivery is what'll decide where I have it shipped. The Apple store I go to when in that area is on Boylston Street in Back Bay. Are you from Boston? Also yes I know the Cambridgeside Galleria has an Apple store, but it's problematic to go there, as I live on the other side of Cambridge, without living in it.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Okay cool. I think I'll have it shipped to my door.. I've decided now I think. lol

you may want to check out the microcenter in cambridge for ***** and giggles.

they usually have pricing below map like best buy, doubtful they can reach the refurb price though.

LBJ23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
You have the money, so go for the 15" the hardware differences between 15 and 13 are signifigant. Once you are on the 15 there is no signifigant upgrade for your listed needs other than space, which was not established.

Otherwise.

Heres a tip. In 99% of situations the only computer that is "fast" 5 years down the road will be the one you buy years down the road. Especially when you consider the current retina models are basically the bleeding edge and as that technology is adapted across the lineup the comparative price and quality will increase.

Math:

thanks for this post! i really admire your input into my situation.

While money really isnt an issue, Im not the kind who just goes and blows it away just because I can, what i've learn in my young life is that you can never have enough to be safe as any life can be turn upsidedown in a matter of seconds and you can be left with nothing the next day.

considering your post, I think I should rule out a max configuration laptop, as it is just something I dont need. 256GB is plenty for me, not to mention I have a 1TB 3.0 USB for storage and backups. 8GB/16GB is debatable but not a real concern. And as far as processor, I really want an Core i7.

So i guess now im looking at these 2 options

13- i7 3.0 8GB 256GB - $1900
15 - 2.4-2.8 8gb/16gb 256gb - from $2200-$2750

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.