Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
travis.hansen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Unlocking Sprint iPhone 5 for T-Mobile?

I have a Sprint iPhone 5 that I have been looking to unlock for quite some time now. Everywhere I have taken it to has told me it's not possible. Well I came across the video in the link below for the GPP iPhone 5.

My question, has anyone had any success using this to unlock your iPhone 5? I just want another confirmation before I fork out $40 to pick one up online.


http://youtu.be/ZfNkXlC7H7k
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
If it was me I'd sell it and get an unlocked i5.
To spend $40 for a gevey that will become useless when the next ios update is out is pointless IMO.
Unless you never plan on updating the firmware on that phone.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
travis.hansen
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.
Is this something you are sure of?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
If it was me I'd sell it and get an unlocked i5.
To spend $40 for a gevey that will become useless when the next ios update is out is pointless IMO.
Unless you never plan on updating the firmware on that phone.
I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
----------

[/COLOR]

I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone
It will still sell even with a bad esn.
You should get some decent money for it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6
travis.hansen
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
It will still sell even with a bad esn.
You should get some decent money for it.
I know I can get something for it. I just can't afford to sell it and spend an additional 200 for an unlocked one. That's why I'm looking to go the 3rd party unlock route
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
On geveys official site it lists a sim adapter for the i5 as coming soon.
Not sure about that youtube videos seller. Up to you if you want to risk it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
Is this something you are sure of?

----------



I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone
You will be able to use the phone (on another sprint account or otherwise.. you will have a clear esn) when sprint put your account into collections
that could take 1-4 months
__________________
Apple Macbook Pro Retina '13 (Late 2012)
OS X Mountain Lion / Intel Core i5-3210M @ 3.1GHz / 8GB DDR3 1600MHz / Retina Display @ 2560x1600 / 128GB Solid State Drive | Apple iPhone 5S
Muscle Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
alan111
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.
You're wrong. I have the Verizon version. It is unlocked and it works fine here in the US on T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA only, not LTE).
__________________
'11 MBA 13", 1.7Ghz i5/4GB/128GB | iPad 3 LTE/Verizon/Black | iPhone 5 16GB/Verizon/Black+Slate | iPod Classic 6G/80GB/Black
alan111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan111 View Post
You're wrong. I have the Verizon version. It is unlocked and it works fine here in the US on T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA only, not LTE).
The Verizon i5 comes unlocked for any GSM carrier in the world.
That's why.
The Sprint i5 is a different story.
Its not unlocked and if you request for Sprint to unlock it for GSM it only works with providers outside the US.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:59 PM   #11
sauder
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.
What if you took it abroad then unlocked it. Like AT&T unlocks their phones, so if its unlocked abroad on AT&T you could come back and use it on some other carrier.
sauder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauder View Post
What if you took it abroad then unlocked it. Like AT&T unlocks their phones, so if its unlocked abroad on AT&T you could come back and use it on some other carrier.
Sprint would have to unlock it on their end in order for it to work outside the US. If you brought it back to the US even if its officially unlocked it would not work inside the US with any domestic carrier.
The Sprint iphone is different than AT&T iphone and the Verizon i5.
Applejuiced is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:27 AM   #13
sauder
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I was told by an Apple representative that the iPhone five is a world phone, it can handle with both GSM and CDMA carriers. i had a CDMA phone that I wanted Apple to unlock, and they said they would do it.

But all of this is redundant, because even though the iPhone five is a world phone, within the US, carriers have the ability to unlock but they're not going to.

If you're trying to use an unlocked iPhone with a GSM prepaid plan, the only way to do is if you buy from Apple!
sauder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauder View Post
I was told by an Apple representative that the iPhone five is a world phone, it can handle with both GSM and CDMA carriers. i had a CDMA phone that I wanted Apple to unlock, and they said they would do it.

But all of this is redundant, because even though the iPhone five is a world phone, within the US, carriers have the ability to unlock but they're not going to.

If you're trying to use an unlocked iPhone with a GSM prepaid plan, the only way to do is if you buy from Apple!
they never lied...it is a World phone....meaning it works on Sprint (CDMA) and on every GSM Carrier "WORLD" Wide....just sprint has choosen to block out Domestic (Within USA) Carriers from being accessed on the iPhone and its something they will not allow no matter what. You see Verizon iPhone 5 is similar if not exactly the same....Verizon is a CDMA/LTE Network however its iPhone 5 works on GSM Networks because FCC overruled Verizon and forced them to leave the GSM portion unlocked on their iPhone...so now that iPhone works on every GSM Carrier WORLD WIDE PLUS ON EVERY DOMESTIC CARRIER besides Sprint (that isnt Verizon's fault but its because sprint wouldnt accept ESN's from non sprint phones). I can understand why sprint is so crazy about keeping domestic carrier use off of their iPhones because they do not want people running off of their crappy network.....no matter what they are keeping you on the leash and even if you decide to cancel on your own will and sell the iPhone...well it still brings Sprint customers as the next buyer is going to have no choice but to use it on Sprint.

in USA you have 3 options for getting iPhone 5 that is unlocked:

1) Apple Store
2) a Verizon iPhone 5 - Comes Factory Unlocked on its SIM slot
3) a AT&T iPhone 5 - Get it unlocked from online for as little as $4
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:06 PM   #15
NewAnger
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
Is this something you are sure of?

----------



I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone
I sold a 65GB Verizon 4S on eBay for $375 back in January.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
they never lied...it is a World phone....meaning it works on Sprint (CDMA) and on every GSM Carrier "WORLD" Wide....just sprint has choosen to block out Domestic (Within USA) Carriers from being accessed on the iPhone and its something they will not allow no matter what. You see Verizon iPhone 5 is similar if not exactly the same....Verizon is a CDMA/LTE Network however its iPhone 5 works on GSM Networks because FCC overruled Verizon and forced them to leave the GSM portion unlocked on their iPhone...so now that iPhone works on every GSM Carrier WORLD WIDE PLUS ON EVERY DOMESTIC CARRIER besides Sprint (that isnt Verizon's fault but its because sprint wouldnt accept ESN's from non sprint phones). I can understand why sprint is so crazy about keeping domestic carrier use off of their iPhones because they do not want people running off of their crappy network.....no matter what they are keeping you on the leash and even if you decide to cancel on your own will and sell the iPhone...well it still brings Sprint customers as the next buyer is going to have no choice but to use it on Sprint.

in USA you have 3 options for getting iPhone 5 that is unlocked:

1) Apple Store
2) a Verizon iPhone 5 - Comes Factory Unlocked on its SIM slot
3) a AT&T iPhone 5 - Get it unlocked from online for as little as $4
You have to keep in mind that if you choose option 2 you wont be able to use LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile with the Verizon iPhone 5. So you will only be limited to 3G speeds.
Am3r1ca16 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Statusquick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Reading this thread gave me an idea:

What if someone went in to the Apple Store for a replacement phone?

The past 2-3 times I've replaced my Sprint iPhone, I've noticed that when you turn the replacement phone on, you have an option of choosing Verizon, ATT, and Sprint (among others).

What if you chose Verizon/ATT so that it becomes branded with their service? Theoretically you'd be free of Sprint and you would have a much more valuable iPhone.

Does anyone see a flaw in this logic?
Statusquick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #18
sauder
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
they never lied...it is a World phone....meaning it works on Sprint (CDMA) and on every GSM Carrier "WORLD" Wide....just sprint has choosen to block out Domestic (Within USA) Carriers from being accessed on the iPhone and its something they will not allow no matter what. You see Verizon iPhone 5 is similar if not exactly the same....Verizon is a CDMA/LTE Network however its iPhone 5 works on GSM Networks because FCC overruled Verizon and forced them to leave the GSM portion unlocked on their iPhone...so now that iPhone works on every GSM Carrier WORLD WIDE PLUS ON EVERY DOMESTIC CARRIER besides Sprint (that isnt Verizon's fault but its because sprint wouldnt accept ESN's from non sprint phones). I can understand why sprint is so crazy about keeping domestic carrier use off of their iPhones because they do not want people running off of their crappy network.....no matter what they are keeping you on the leash and even if you decide to cancel on your own will and sell the iPhone...well it still brings Sprint customers as the next buyer is going to have no choice but to use it on Sprint.

in USA you have 3 options for getting iPhone 5 that is unlocked:

1) Apple Store
2) a Verizon iPhone 5 - Comes Factory Unlocked on its SIM slot
3) a AT&T iPhone 5 - Get it unlocked from online for as little as $4
Every iPhone five comes in the box as an unlocked phone, but once carriers get a hold of itó that's it.

But the only safe way to get an unlocked iPhone is to buy from Apple. Period

If you buy from carriers, you will suffer.
sauder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:06 PM   #19
famoussasjohn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Basically look at this way
Sprint iPhone = Paperweight if you don't have Sprint service. Can't be unlocked for any other carrier.
AT&T iPhone = Can be used on T-Mobile* (*when it's unlocked)
Verizon iPhone = Can be used on T-Mobile and AT&T while being in a 2 year contract with Verizon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
I sold a 65GB Verizon 4S on eBay for $375 back in January.
Unpossible!
famoussasjohn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauder View Post
Every iPhone five comes in the box as an unlocked phone, but once carriers get a hold of it— that's it.

But the only safe way to get an unlocked iPhone is to buy from Apple. Period

If you buy from carriers, you will suffer.

what about when you go to a Apple store and upgrade your line....are you still safe? lol because a good portion of people that describe situations like you are under the impression that just because they got it from "Apple" Store that their iPhone is unlocked....usually not the case.



Answer = No because IMEI's (and/or model numbers) are assigned to carriers so they are specific and made to be activated only with that carrier(s)...besides the Unlocked version which you pay full price for....even AT&T version if you buy at full price you still have to "Request" for it to be unlocked as it isn't Unlocked out of the box (at least from what I have seen in the past)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
You have to keep in mind that if you choose option 2 you wont be able to use LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile with the Verizon iPhone 5. So you will only be limited to 3G speeds.
That is true...but most people looking to get Unlocked Phones don't usually plan on getting LTE (at least not anytime soon) as they usually are settling with MVNO's....personally I don't know too many people who paid full price and are paying the carriers big bucks...when they can just get a subsidized phone and have it unlocked for their vacations/traveling needs....
Satnam1989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #21
sauder
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I bought my iPhone 5 under the guise that I could unlock it myself. I knew it wasn't like the iPhone 4, where a CDMA phone didn't have a SIM card slot.

When I was at the Apple store, replacing my phone. I saw a fresh iPhone 5 from the factory.

The iOS6 menu looks just like when you restore your phone,




There's a screen before the setup screen, before activation where the Genius locks the phone to the carrier.

And when you walk out of the store, the phone is unlocked once the Genius chooses. When the carriers tell you it can't be unlocked, they're lying. It CAN be unlocked but they're NOT going to do it.

I don't know about how unlocked overseas works and I don't care. Even if I was using it overseas, I don't want to take any chances if the phone is not really unlocked.

'Unlocked for international use' should be a banned term because its misleading.

Below will be the only way you can buy an unlocked iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1497
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	403408  
sauder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Abdu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauder View Post
I bought my iPhone 5 under the guise that I could unlock it myself. I knew it wasn't like the iPhone 4, where a CDMA phone didn't have a SIM card slot.

When I was at the Apple store, replacing my phone. I saw a fresh iPhone 5 from the factory.

The iOS6 menu looks just like when you restore your phone,


Image

There's a screen before the setup screen, before activation where the Genius locks the phone to the carrier.

And when you walk out of the store, the phone is unlocked once the Genius chooses. When the carriers tell you it can't be unlocked, they're lying. It CAN be unlocked but they're NOT going to do it.

I don't know about how unlocked overseas works and I don't care. Even if I was using it overseas, I don't want to take any chances if the phone is not really unlocked.

'Unlocked for international use' should be a banned term because its misleading.

Below will be the only way you can buy an unlocked iPhone.
How do you get a phone to display the last screenshot?
Abdu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdu View Post
How do you get a phone to display the last screenshot?
That's the screen when you use the apple store app on the iphone to purchase or reserve an iphone.

Last edited by Applejuiced; May 23, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:40 PM   #24
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
That's the screen when you use the apple store app on the iphone to purchase or reserve an iphone.
Yes, thats it. There is no special screen at the Apple store that locks a phone to a carrier.
hexonxonx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:44 PM   #25
Abdu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Yeah I understood that now. So sauer's comments are wrong that there is a screen that lets geniuses choose which carrier the phone is gonna be locked to?
Abdu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlocking Sprint iPhone 4s for international use trixr4kidz iPhone 7 Dec 5, 2013 10:51 AM
iPhone: How would i go about unlocking a Sprint iphone 4s ? cymolia Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Nov 25, 2013 09:27 PM
Sprint iphone 5 unlocking trouble Josethegreat iPhone 3 Oct 30, 2013 01:35 AM
sprint iphone 5 unlocking trungthiendo iPhone 0 Oct 3, 2012 05:51 PM
Unlocking sprint iPhone 4s... Is it possible? Fishnyc iPhone 0 Sep 17, 2012 07:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC