Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1
jpmorais
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to jpmorais
768 SSD blade to 2.5 sata3. Question?

My fiancÚ got me the 27 iMac I7/fusion/680mx. for my birthday.
(i know shes awesome)

she bought it a month ago at the local apple store, and she just gave it to me today.

I wish i could return it and pay the difference for the 768 ssd.

i have the 768 ssd from my retina i was wondering if i should install in place of the 1TB hard drive with the blade to 2.5 sata case i got from ebay and old 3.5 bracket from a intel ssd?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160928199534...84.m1497.l2649

i would like to keep the 128 blade to run BOOTCAMP and dont wanna mess with taking my board out.

Is there is any speed difference between sata and blade sata conector? i know they are both sata 3 but i wanna know if there is any loss on using the case from ebay.

Thanks guys for your help!!!

Last edited by jpmorais; Mar 19, 2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: font
jpmorais is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:19 AM   #2
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Nope, no loss of speed at all. I'm currently raiding a pair of 768GB Samsung blades.
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
flavr
macrumors 6502

You lucky piece of $^&@! lol

Anyway, the SSD is not going to show any real noticeable performance increase over the fusion unless you are working with files over 128GB in single sessions. The way the fusion handles information is very smart and always fast.

Instead of cracking open and potentially ruining a perfectly good iMac, why not put your SSD in an external enclosure and hook it to the thunderbolt port for even fast speeds than internal? Then you can use it for backup, or boot or whatever...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4
jpmorais
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to jpmorais
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
Nope, no loss of speed at all. I'm currently raiding a pair of 768GB Samsung blades.
Awesome, that must be amazing speeds your seeing

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
You lucky piece of $^&@! lol

Anyway, the SSD is not going to show any real noticeable performance increase over the fusion unless you are working with files over 128GB in single sessions. The way the fusion handles information is very smart and always fast.

Instead of cracking open and potentially ruining a perfectly good iMac, why not put your SSD in an external enclosure and hook it to the thunderbolt port for even fast speeds than internal? Then you can use it for backup, or boot or whatever...
haha i know!

i was thinking of doing that, do you think the THUNDERBOLT external sata controller like Lacie would take the beating over time as being the boot drive?
jpmorais is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac