Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
everything i have read on the apple site indicates that only the 17" powerbooks will have a 46% increased screen brightness. doesn't say anything about the 15".

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Well, the only thing positive I have read into it is that they are both NEW screens, so we should see some improvement on the 15inch.

Anyone know where or who at Apple to email and actually get a reply.

I mean, I have tried emailing before, but never got a response.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
I just called Apple and they said that the 15inch had 26% more pixels and 26% brighter too. When I questionned this saying how confusing (or lacking) the specs on the website were, he confirmed 26% brighter.

I also asked things like specs for brightness and pixel response, he said that they did not have that information. So where can we get the exact specs of the old and new screens?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
DavoMrMac said:
I just called Apple and they said that the 15inch had 26% more pixels and 26% brighter too. When I questionned this saying how confusing (or lacking) the specs on the website were, he confirmed 26% brighter.

I also asked things like specs for brightness and pixel response, he said that they did not have that information. So where can we get the exact specs of the old and new screens?

Dave, do you mean 46% brighter?

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
look out for the white spots making cameos from the Rev A days. they are surely coming ...

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
tekmoe said:
Dave, do you mean 46% brighter?

The guy said - 17inch 36% more pixels and 46% brighter, 15inch 26% more pixels and 26% brighter.

Sounded weird to me, like he was reading it wrong, but thought it a worthwhile quote here.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Screen brightness

DavoMrMac said:
The guy said - 17inch 36% more pixels and 46% brighter, 15inch 26% more pixels and 26% brighter.

Sounded weird to me, like he was reading it wrong, but thought it a worthwhile quote here.

The actual wording from Apple's site states: "The 1680-by-1050 pixel display on the new 17-inch PowerBook sports over 1.7 million pixels - 36% more spacious and 46% brighter than the previous generation - giving you a brilliant workspace that rivals many desktop monitors. With a 1.3 million-pixel display at a resolution of 1440 by 960, the new 15-inch PowerBook dazzles quite nicely with 26% more pixels than its predecessor."

It goes on to add that with wide viewing angles the displays "can be seen clearly - with a minimum of color shift - either from the side or the top."

Tomorrow I plan to stop at Apple Soho to take a look at the difference in screen brightness between these new models and the ones they have just replaced. Printed material and assorted claims are fine, but there is no substitute for seeing with one's own eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.