Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Peter Franks
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Downloads desktop Folder icon

Still having problems with this folder that used to open all icons in it instantly and now nothing appears at all apart from this.

Is there anyone who gets this or is there a fix?
It used to appear after a minute or so but now it doesn't at all.

Anyone else get this when they click on their Downloads folder in Dock?

Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Drew017
macrumors 65816
 
Drew017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East coast, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Still having problems with this folder that used to open all icons in it instantly and now nothing appears at all apart from this.

Is there anyone who gets this or is there a fix?
It used to appear after a minute or so but now it doesn't at all.

Anyone else get this when they click on their Downloads folder in Dock?

Image
I'm a little confused, but I think your problem has to do with the dock. If your downloads stack isn't showing icons, you should probably first clean up the folder so your Mac doesn't have to render so many icons. Also, restart your Mac first, just to clear up any issues. Then if the problem persists you can repair permissions or delete the dock preferences (to do this, go to your home library folder, find the preferences folder, and in that look for the file com.apple.dock.plist. Delete this file and restart your Mac... You will have to re customize the icons in your dock, but this may help.) To repair permissions, open disk utility and click on your HD and click "repair permissions".
__________________
Who'll put on my shoes while I'm walking slowly down the hall of fame?
MacBook Air 13 inch (Mid 2013); Intel Core i5; 4GB RAM; OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Last edited by Drew017; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post
Then if the problem persists you can repair permissions or delete the dock preferences
Deleting the Dock plist file is a likely candidate, but it's worth pointing out that Repair Permissions does NOTHING to any file in your User account.
People tend to offer it as something to try in response to any Mac problem, but its scope and benefits are quite limited.

It might be worthwhile to boot to an installer disk or partition and use Disk Utility to Repair Disk on your startup volume.

What Mac, what OS version, and how much RAM?

Another thing to bear in mind is that having lots of files on the Desktop can massively overload the WindowServer process, (as each icon is treated as a Window). That might have some bearing on icons not showing up.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Thank you for your help....

I have nothing on the actual desktop at all, it's just the downloads blue folder in dock, far right. As the pic shows, I used to click on that and see all the pics immediately, Last couple of days, nothing will show up or download to show me them instantly or otherwise

I did clear out quite a lot but it makes no odds

SL 10.6.8
2.3 GHx Intel Core i5
Mem 4GB 1333 MHz

Have about 80GB left from a 320 HD

Thanks
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Drew017
macrumors 65816
 
Drew017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East coast, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
but it's worth pointing out that Repair Permissions does NOTHING to any file in your User account.
People tend to offer it as something to try in response to any Mac problem, but its scope and benefits are quite limited.
Your right, but it still might be a good idea just to make sure there are no files dealing with the Dock that are not in the user account that need to be repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Thank you for your help....

I have nothing on the actual desktop at all, it's just the downloads blue folder in dock, far right. As the pic shows, I used to click on that and see all the pics immediately, Last couple of days, nothing will show up or download to show me them instantly or otherwise

I did clear out quite a lot but it makes no odds

SL 10.6.8
2.3 GHx Intel Core i5
Mem 4GB 1333 MHz

Have about 80GB left from a 320 HD

Thanks
Maybe try taking the Downloads stack off the dock and replacing it? I remember having this sort of issue in OS X Leopard a long time ago… doing this seemed to help.
__________________
Who'll put on my shoes while I'm walking slowly down the hall of fame?
MacBook Air 13 inch (Mid 2013); Intel Core i5; 4GB RAM; OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Last edited by Drew017; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
You mean, take it off and replace by putting it back, the same one again?

I don't use the stack view obviously, because there are quite a few files in there. But 'stack' was same problem, and no views also
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Drew017
macrumors 65816
 
Drew017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East coast, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
You mean, take it off and replace by putting it back, the same one again?

I don't use the stack view obviously, because there are quite a few files in there. But 'stack' was same problem, and no views also
Yep, take the folder from the dock and go into your home folder and drag it back. That might work.
__________________
Who'll put on my shoes while I'm walking slowly down the hall of fame?
MacBook Air 13 inch (Mid 2013); Intel Core i5; 4GB RAM; OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
will give that a go, thank you
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas to keep a Macbook folder and a Windows 8 desktop folder in sync Sid-R OS X 6 May 14, 2013 03:35 PM
Downloads folder icon sergionetto Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 4 Jan 18, 2013 12:08 PM
iPhone: Anonymous folder and file in Downloads folder bun.bhay Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Sep 26, 2012 08:41 PM
Downloads Folder bellboy1982 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Aug 15, 2012 09:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC