Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Do you pay for your email?

Are there any users here who pay for their email service?

I'm toying with the idea of switching to a for-pay mail provider which has not only tougher privacy stances, but also more reliability as I am using my mail for increasingly more important things.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
AngelOfSoul
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelOfSoul
I do email alot, and perfectly happy with Apple MobileMe (@me.com) now iCould service. Never been using paid service though, but as long as I experience no problem with it, I'll stick with it.
AngelOfSoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I use gmail and outlook.com both of which are free.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Gaidin43
macrumors regular

Never ever ever pay for an email unless it is a system wide company one. If it is personal use always use free services. If it is for a business use paid, paid for by the business and write it off as an expense.
Gaidin43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:48 AM   #5
eric/

Yeah seems like paid is a rip-off unless there is some specific feature you need that you can't get. Doubtful that it's any more secure.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
heehee
macrumors 68020

We use Microsoft Exchange and it's not anymore reliable than free emails (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail. etc).
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Angelo95210
macrumors 6502a

No I use the free Gmail service, both for private use and for my company's email
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
mapledress
macrumors regular

I use Google's Gmail and Yahoo!Mail, just for daily use. Both of them are free and I have never use paid service.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

I use the email that comes with my Internet service, which I pay for, not sure if that counts. In a lapse of judgement I gave turbotax my non spam email address and have been getting buggered by piles of junkmail the past few weeks.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
Are there any users here who pay for their email service?

I'm toying with the idea of switching to a for-pay mail provider which has not only tougher privacy stances, but also more reliability as I am using my mail for increasingly more important things.
My email is through my internet provider. Since I pay my internet provider every month for internet access, I guess I'm paying for my email .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Yeah seems like paid is a rip-off unless there is some specific feature you need that you can't get. Doubtful that it's any more secure.
You don't pay an internet provider for internet access ?
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:12 PM   #11
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
My email is through my internet provider. Since I pay my internet provider every month for internet access, I guess I'm paying for my email .[COLOR="#808080"]
Hit this one on the head. Same boat here with ISP. Goes for my domain email as well. I pay for hosting services, so therefore my domain email is a paid service.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:31 PM   #12
jdechko
macrumors 68040

If .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud were still for-pay, then I would, but no.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:43 PM   #13
hallux
macrumors 65816

All my Android stuff is based on a gmail account, also use it for some website communications.

Pay for ISP, get email there

Family domain was recently (last summer) moved to Google-hosted, before they made new sign-ups a paid service.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

My dad's work uses Google Apps for the e-mail. And so does my college.

If you're really worried about e-mail in general, just set it up so that it doesn't stay on the server. I forgot how you do that, but it's possible to have it just stay on the Mail.app and have it not show up in the web based version of the mail client.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
jamin100
macrumors 6502

I pay for my own email domain (£5 a year Ish) so i can give all the family one but use them with a google apps account which was free
jamin100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:13 PM   #16
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I use gmail and outlook.com both of which are free.
+1

Really been transitioning to outlook more as my gmail seems to have gotten a bit spammy over the years - even with giving stupid promos a semi-fake @yahoo address. Oh well.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:05 PM   #17
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

For work applicants, Gmail and Hotmail looks tacky on the résumé, and I suspect it will only be a question of time until the same happens with iCloud and Outlook (if not already). Sometimes "free of charge" can become expensive in other ways.
DesertEagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:06 PM   #18
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
For work applicants, Gmail and Hotmail looks tacky on the résumé, and I suspect it will only be a question of time until the same happens with iCloud and Outlook (if not already). Sometimes "free of charge" can become expensive in other ways.
I disagree with that premise about gmail looking tacky

If an employer judges you on a email associated with a very public service, that's their loss. Your resume should speak for itself and your email domain should not be a factor. Now the email handle, that's something to consider.
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I disagree with that premise about gmail looking tacky

If an employer judges you on a email associated with a very public service, that's their loss. Your resume should speak for itself and your email domain should not be a factor. Now the email handle, that's something to consider.
Seems like I have misunderstood a couple of things then. Thanks for clearing it up.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:34 PM   #20
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Seems like I have misunderstood a couple of things then. Thanks for clearing it up.
At least that has been what has been told to me by recruiters. However, everyone is different and If I don't get a job because of a gmail email address, chances are I wouldn't have wanted to work for them in the first place if they judge on such superficial things
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:55 PM   #21
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
At least that has been what has been told to me by recruiters. However, everyone is different and If I don't get a job because of a gmail email address, chances are I wouldn't have wanted to work for them in the first place if they judge on such superficial things
Agreed.

What other email would you use? Your university one for a school you've been out of ten or more years?

As far as I'm concerned, yourname@gmail is kind of the world standard for a generic and respectable email address. Much better than hotmail, yahoo, aol, etc. since google is generally respected and a gmail address seems more modern and with the times compared to say, AOL.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
My own domain comes with email. But I get the domain free anyway.
roadbloc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:20 PM   #23
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502

No. I use my university email most of the time but I have a Yahoo account for junk and personal use and a Gmail account I set up when I got my Android phone.
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:45 PM   #24
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

I paid for a year of MobileMe before it became iCloud and dropped the price to zero. I still use that email address and have been happy with it since I got it.

I also use Outlook.com as a backup email address.

I refuse to use GMail because I made an account and used it for NOTHING but school and it gets more spam than actual emails. Never gave out the address except to ONE teacher and somehow it's getting numerous spam emails daily.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:57 PM   #25
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post

I refuse to use GMail because I made an account and used it for NOTHING but school and it gets more spam than actual emails. Never gave out the address except to ONE teacher and somehow it's getting numerous spam emails daily.
An unattended or rarely used email account of any type will eventually start filling with spam.

Gmail is extremely good at filtering out spam, but only if you are using the account. I receive about 80 expected, valid email messages per day on my work Gmail account, and about the same on my personal Gmail account.

Last year I received only four spam messages for the entire year. It's one of the many reasons I enjoy Gmail.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion