Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
BDRhodes
macrumors newbie

FCP X projects & events between Macs on same hard drive?

My current Mac can't run FCP X, but I urgently need it for work. I'm holding out on upgrading my hardware until Haswell this summer, and so would like to begin using it on my housemate's entirely capable iMac, with all projects and events living on an external hard drive.

But when I get my new Mac, I'd like to begin editing the projects and events with the new machine but still keep them on the external HD. I'll be getting a 13" MBA, which means space is tight... hence the external HD. So is migrating the drive to a new computer like this even possible?

The video-editing part of my job is not massive and our budget is tight, so I'm not interested in an NAS or FCPX Server solution. I just need a plug-and-play solution.

TL;DR: Can I keep FCPX events/projects on an external hard drive that I will use on multiple computers?
BDRhodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Yes, that is possible.
simsaladimbamba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #3
BDRhodes
macrumors newbie

Cool.

I've read that for others, when you have the project/events on the external hard drive, and then try pasting it onto another computer's internal drive, FCPX struggles to know what the heck to do with it. Since I'm not copy-pasting the data, I'm hoping this sidesteps that problem. Hoping so...
BDRhodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
mjsanders5uk
macrumors member

With the possible exception of SSD's, you don't want to use the internal drive for events and projects - you should always keep them on external drives.\

It's not like it use to be but it can cause extra wear and tear and slow the system down.

Simply keep everything on a good fast (raid if possible) external drive and then swap it between computers and FCP X will see it and load your events and projects.
mjsanders5uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video