Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's update to iOS 6.1.3, Apple also updated the Apple TV to version 5.2.1. The 5.2.1 software contains a number of bug fixes and has also brought a redesigned Hulu app to the device.

The security fixes, which can all be credited to the evad3rs, prevent users from executing unsigned code, determining the address of structures in the kernel, and executing arbitrary code in the kernel.

As for Hulu, the app has been entirely redesigned with improved discovery tools and some simple UI enhancements.

hulu.jpg
Right away, you'll notice we've added content categories across the top navigation bar to make it easy to for you to jump to your chosen section - whether it is TV, Kids, Latino, Search, or something else. Inside each category, you'll discover what's new in our content library so it's easy to discover new shows and keep up with the shows you already love. You can also jump into your favorite shows right away with the "Shows You Watch" tray. We built this to make sure you never miss a new episode or lose your place in a series.
Users are now able to hold down the "Select" button to access the Subtitles and Audio menu for captioning, and pressing play on a TV show will play the latest episode. This new functionality is reliant on the Apple TV 5.1.2 update.

The latest Apple TV update is currently available for eligible devices and can be downloaded immediately on Apple TV.

Update 1:11 PM: Apple has updated its Apple TV software updates support page with mention of several other changes included in the 5.2.1 software.
- iTunes in the Cloud: Adds support for Music in the Cloud in Japan and Israel.
- Stability and performance: Includes improvements for software update, subtitles, and general performance.

Article Link: Apple TV Software Updated to Version 5.2.1 with Bug Fixes, Hulu Redesign

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple TV OS badly needs "Spotlight" like search across contents from all the channels as well as purchased contents.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The UK needs some good Apple TV Updates! iPlayer/iTV Player/4oD/Lovefilm anything!

Fair enough iPlayer works with iOS devices, but the others don't!

Just a basic app store, please!

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Where's my Apple TV with installable apps and an app store???

Arrrrggghhh!!!

----------

Apple TV OS badly needs "Spotlight" like search across contents from all the channels as well as purchased contents.

iOS needs it - with apps holding vast amounts of documents (potentially), it's like a throwback to the eighties to find anything now.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

Would love that. It is really annoying to go forth and back between iTunes Movie rental and Netflix to check if a movie is for free on netflix before I pay for it on iTunes .... but that is probably why it won't come, Apple hopes you are lazy and just pay for it on iTunes without checking the other streaming sources.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Thank you so much for doing something with Hulu. It was almost unusable as it was. Now I just need to wait till I get home tonight to see if it is truly better....

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
This is the one piece of Apple hardware that I wish I didn't spend $ on... it's actually been quite useless. The worst $99 I ever spent.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
This is the one piece of Apple hardware that I wish I didn't spend $ on... it's actually been quite useless. The worst $99 I ever spent.

I feel the exact opposite. The more I use it the more things I find I like about it. It obviously has huge potential and still has a lot of work. But it's only $100. Just seamlessly airplaying mine and my girlfriends music to our nice tower speakers has made it worth it.

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010

I totally agree... however if Apple would stop being d*cks and let me access my Amazon Prime account then this would suddenly be my most used accesory... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002

Really?

For me, our original 160GB ATV "take two" was the best investment ever, with the ATV3 we bought to replace it this year a close second. Between the two of them that's the core of our cord-cutting replacement (saving well over $50/month after taking into account our iTunes and DVD purchases), so the first paid for itself easily in six months, and the second in less than two.

As for Hulu Plus, our main complaint there has been the sheer number of clicks to get from finding something to watching an episode. Seems like we almost always do the click to watch the show only to find there are two more screens to click through before getting to the actual content. Keeping place in series would be nice, eliminating our need to go to search for series names (and thus our reliance on the iPhone Remote app to avoid arrow-keyboarding in text), so I hope that turned out well.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Man, I wish Apple would give me an option to update or not. I wish they would stop messing with the AppleTV. Just give me an option?? That is all I want from you Apple.

djgcue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008

Same here, my WDTV's get way more play since it has the Slingplayer.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Hopefully they've fixed the bug where quitting podcasts use to leave a half blue circle indicating you had partially watched it. Hate how you can't do that anymore.

Also would be nice to continuously play podcasts back-to-back. I have one podcast that are "songs of the day" really annoying not being able to just have it play 5-10 songs in a sitting without having to manually do it every 3-4 minutes as I'm doing something else in the house.

Boggles my mind the software engineers haven't picked up on this simple stuff in the last few updates.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Best home theatre component

We use our AppleTV daily (had the first versions with hard drives, now the new ones). We use it for NetFlix, to rent movies from Apple, and listen to all of our music (from iCloud) in our home theatre.

We have ZERO cable bill as we no longer subscribe to any CableTV (it's bene four years now, $2,400 saved to-date and all those headaches avoided from the Main-Stream-News outlets and all the wasted time on commercials = priceless!

I find it hard to believe anyone would not love this device. My guess is that Apple has not made it "all it could be" as they are working on an AppleTV and did'nt want this cheap "hobby" device to eclipse a bigger profit device coming soon. Maybe this AppleTV set-top device was a way to really test the market for a future AppleTelevision.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I find it hard to believe anyone would not love this device.

I think that the people who love the Apple TV are the cord-cutters who pay $0 a month on TV, and the people who think it's a waste of $99 are the people paying $150 a month for television.

Of course, if your cable/satellite tv gives you everything you need, you don't need this extra device. But it's not meant for those people.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Roku has left AppleTV in the dust. I ended up buying an AppleTV anyway 'cause of Airplay, but in EVERY other way the top of the line Roku player is superior.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Users are now able to hold down the "Select" button to access the Subtitles and Audio menu for captioning, and pressing play on a TV show will play the latest episode. This new functionality is reliant on the Apple TV 5.1.2 update.

Only 231 days to get this feature...

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Man, I wish Apple would give me an option to update or not. I wish they would stop messing with the AppleTV. Just give me an option?? That is all I want from you Apple.

I agree. I avoided the last update because of the reported problems with it vs it really didn't offer me anything worth taking the chance on the update. So every time I use the aTV, I have to go through the update menu and decline before I can use it. PITA. I'll be watching to see if this is a better update, although it still really doesn't offer me much that is new since I don't use Hulu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.