Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:16 PM   #1
rMBP13
Banned

Is Apple doomed if the company doesnt release a larger iPhone this year?

I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger because their larger flagship phones have no competition from Apple. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!

Articles like this one really makes me feel depressed...
http://www.businessinsider.com/i-loo...-phones-2013-3

Last edited by rMBP13; Mar 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
rMBP13 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rMBP13 View Post
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!
Apple consistently stuck with the 3.5" screen for years before going to 4" with the iPhone 5 and it sold well regardless. There might be a bigger market for larger screen phones now but I highly doubt Apple will be doomed. They'll still sell just as many iPhones as they have in the past.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Derkatwork
macrumors 6502

Really? A) not everyone wants a large phone. I got a 4s because I dislike the larger size. B) apple does sell more than phones last time I checked. So no. They are not doomed.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

They are doomed I say, doomed. We are all doomed. Oh the tragedy.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5
tjl3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!
No. People complain about Samsung giving us all these options and Apple limiting us, but really Samsung has set a hard floor on their screen size (was 4.8" with the GS3 and now it will be 5" w/ the GS4). You can't compare a Galaxy Blaze or Galaxy Exhibit w/ a Galaxy S4...

As much as people claim they love larger phones, that is purely a preference, whereas there are some people where larger phones are not practical (i.e. the GS3 barely fits in my pocket, and I know the GS4 would be even more awkward b/c it is actually bigger, ya I have skinny jeans, no I wouldn't change my clothes to suit their phone). That's where Samsung misses the mark (IMO) and could actually gain.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
They are doomed I say, doomed. We are all doomed. Oh the tragedy.
Darn, you got there before me!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Apple held out so long on a smaller screen iPad, yet they released the Mini and it sells well. They filled the niche.

I think they need to do the same and come out with a 5" iPhone, then they'll have the 5 / 4 / 3.5" screen markets covered well.
mpayne2k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #8
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Apple has convinced the buying public screen size is best chosen by Apple. Brand recognition & magic marketing carries the day.

Besides now that we have the iPad mini who needs an iPhone? My iPad mini goes everywhere with me. My iPhone 5 sits idle in the desk.

I use this mini I'm composing this on, constantly, when not using either my 15" MBPr or MBA.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:36 PM   #9
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Yes the next iPhone will only sell a couple million and Apple's marketshare will drop to 5% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what all smartphone owners want.
CEmajr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Yes the next iPhone will only sell a couple million and Apple's marketshare will drop to 5% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what all smartphone owners want.
Here, I'll correct that for you CEmajr for the OP..

"Yes, the next iPhone will sell only a couple of zillion and Apples Marketshare will drop 0% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what a few smartphone kids want"

PS: I like the word OP mentioned "Doomed". Goodness, where do some get off by using words like this that have no basis of FACT !
SR45 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
silverblack
macrumors 65816

I don't want a larger screen. It's a mobile phone! I'll go to my iPad when I want a larger screen.
silverblack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:13 PM   #12
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816

Yes!
rhinosrcool is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:18 AM   #13
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

Apple won't be doomed but Tim might be

The "business as usual" attitude at Apple is going to cause big problems. Sony was the leader and didn't react properly to the Samsung threat. Samsung wants to bury Apple. Tim Cook needs to get Apple into a more responsive company and deal with the Samsung threat. Doing spec bumps instead of innovating isn't going to do it. Investors might show Tim Cook the door.
jimbo1mcm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:23 AM   #14
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Companies this large don't die overnight. Look at how long rim has been struggling. Nothing apple does within the next few years will mean their doom. A culmination of their decisions over the next few years certainly could mean this though.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Doomed is a strong word, but I don't think Apple can stay on this two year release cycle and then just release a slightly taller phone again. They also, next year it seams, can't release the same ol same ol. Maybe they can stay in the small end of the market, but they'll have to liven things up more than they have been.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:45 AM   #16
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Stock price cut in half, every other thread on this forum is about Samsung ... Doomed is putting it mildly.
Doc750 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I would not say they are doomed so to speak, their sales might take a slight rip, but regardless there are a lot of folks ready for an upgrade that will no matter what the next one looks like, and there are a lot of folks who like the 3.5" and 4" screens. The reason we all dealt with the 3.5" screen is because that is what everyone had just about and what was the IN fashion, now it is larger screens as people use their phones more.

I would love for Apple to build a phone with 4.5 or 4.7" screen, any larger makes it not easy to carry, I had the Note II, loved the phone but the size was a bit much in the pocket for me, others may have a different view.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:25 AM   #18
HiRisk
macrumors 6502

The 4" screen size is fine. 4.5" screen size is probably the largest before I consider it overkill.

I think Apple needs to innovative through the operating system. iOS6 is a huge disappointment and feels outdated IMHO. Android has caught up with its latest version that I feel Apple needs to do something big with iOS7 to stay up to date with the competition.
HiRisk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:31 AM   #19
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Rubbish - I don't want a phone with a larger screen, I personally want a phone that fits easily in my pocket.

Some users would prefer a phone with a larger screen I will agree. Last time I looked Apple has the top spot of smartphone sales by supplier, so clearly the idea that all, or even most smartphone buyers want a larger screen is not based in fact.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:41 AM   #20
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Nonsense.

Most customers don't want to talk to a phone that's larger than their hand....
thewitt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:51 AM   #21
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

There is a reason why Samsung made a Mini version of the S3.

Also read this news: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...es-not-iphones According to Gazelle the new s4 has not made iPhone users switch.
charlesdayton is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #22
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

I would LOVE a 4.3" screen. The size of the old HTC EVO. Bigger than that and it starts to get cumbersome. The 4" iP5 is just...taller. I need the width increased too. The width of my 4S and the 5 is not designed for my people with bigger hands - especially the keyboard.

Oh yeah, and BTW, they are doomed. We are all doomed. Might as well pack it in and say goodnight.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:12 AM   #23
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Good grief, another Apple is doomed thread. Yep, if Apple doesn't release a larger iPhone, then people will not only stop buying them but iPods, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. as well.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:17 AM   #24
LoveMyPens
macrumors member

I certainly hope not. Anything bigger than the iPhone 5 is too big IMO. Had the S3... too big!
LoveMyPens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #25
iNotion
macrumors regular

I want a better iOS than the current one, not a bigger screen mobile phone

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone