Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger because their larger flagship phones have no competition from Apple. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!

Articles like this one really makes me feel depressed...
http://www.businessinsider.com/i-lo...sad-it-isnt-as-big-as-a-samsung-phones-2013-3

Last edited:

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!

Apple consistently stuck with the 3.5" screen for years before going to 4" with the iPhone 5 and it sold well regardless. There might be a bigger market for larger screen phones now but I highly doubt Apple will be doomed. They'll still sell just as many iPhones as they have in the past.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Really? A) not everyone wants a large phone. I got a 4s because I dislike the larger size. B) apple does sell more than phones last time I checked. So no. They are not doomed.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!

No. People complain about Samsung giving us all these options and Apple limiting us, but really Samsung has set a hard floor on their screen size (was 4.8" with the GS3 and now it will be 5" w/ the GS4). You can't compare a Galaxy Blaze or Galaxy Exhibit w/ a Galaxy S4...

As much as people claim they love larger phones, that is purely a preference, whereas there are some people where larger phones are not practical (i.e. the GS3 barely fits in my pocket, and I know the GS4 would be even more awkward b/c it is actually bigger, ya I have skinny jeans, no I wouldn't change my clothes to suit their phone). That's where Samsung misses the mark (IMO) and could actually gain.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Apple held out so long on a smaller screen iPad, yet they released the Mini and it sells well. They filled the niche.

I think they need to do the same and come out with a 5" iPhone, then they'll have the 5 / 4 / 3.5" screen markets covered well.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple has convinced the buying public screen size is best chosen by Apple. Brand recognition & magic marketing carries the day.

Besides now that we have the iPad mini who needs an iPhone? My iPad mini goes everywhere with me. My iPhone 5 sits idle in the desk.

I use this mini I'm composing this on, constantly, when not using either my 15" MBPr or MBA. :)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes the next iPhone will only sell a couple million and Apple's marketshare will drop to 5% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what all smartphone owners want.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Yes the next iPhone will only sell a couple million and Apple's marketshare will drop to 5% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what all smartphone owners want.

Here, I'll correct that for you CEmajr for the OP..

"Yes, the next iPhone will sell only a couple of zillion and Apples Marketshare will drop 0% if they don't come out with a larger iPhone this year because that's what a few smartphone kids want" :D ;)

PS: I like the word OP mentioned "Doomed". Goodness, where do some get off by using words like this that have no basis of FACT !

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I don't want a larger screen. It's a mobile phone! I'll go to my iPad when I want a larger screen.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Apple won't be doomed but Tim might be

The "business as usual" attitude at Apple is going to cause big problems. Sony was the leader and didn't react properly to the Samsung threat. Samsung wants to bury Apple. Tim Cook needs to get Apple into a more responsive company and deal with the Samsung threat. Doing spec bumps instead of innovating isn't going to do it. Investors might show Tim Cook the door.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Companies this large don't die overnight. Look at how long rim has been struggling. Nothing apple does within the next few years will mean their doom. A culmination of their decisions over the next few years certainly could mean this though.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Doomed is a strong word, but I don't think Apple can stay on this two year release cycle and then just release a slightly taller phone again. They also, next year it seams, can't release the same ol same ol. Maybe they can stay in the small end of the market, but they'll have to liven things up more than they have been.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Stock price cut in half, every other thread on this forum is about Samsung ... Doomed is putting it mildly.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

I would not say they are doomed so to speak, their sales might take a slight rip, but regardless there are a lot of folks ready for an upgrade that will no matter what the next one looks like, and there are a lot of folks who like the 3.5" and 4" screens. The reason we all dealt with the 3.5" screen is because that is what everyone had just about and what was the IN fashion, now it is larger screens as people use their phones more.

I would love for Apple to build a phone with 4.5 or 4.7" screen, any larger makes it not easy to carry, I had the Note II, loved the phone but the size was a bit much in the pocket for me, others may have a different view.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
The 4" screen size is fine. 4.5" screen size is probably the largest before I consider it overkill.

I think Apple needs to innovative through the operating system. iOS6 is a huge disappointment and feels outdated IMHO. Android has caught up with its latest version that I feel Apple needs to do something big with iOS7 to stay up to date with the competition.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

Rubbish - I don't want a phone with a larger screen, I personally want a phone that fits easily in my pocket.

Some users would prefer a phone with a larger screen I will agree. Last time I looked Apple has the top spot of smartphone sales by supplier, so clearly the idea that all, or even most smartphone buyers want a larger screen is not based in fact.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Nonsense.

Most customers don't want to talk to a phone that's larger than their hand....

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
I would LOVE a 4.3" screen. The size of the old HTC EVO. Bigger than that and it starts to get cumbersome. The 4" iP5 is just...taller. I need the width increased too. The width of my 4S and the 5 is not designed for my people with bigger hands - especially the keyboard.

Oh yeah, and BTW, they are doomed. We are all doomed. Might as well pack it in and say goodnight. :p:D

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Good grief, another Apple is doomed thread. Yep, if Apple doesn't release a larger iPhone, then people will not only stop buying them but iPods, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. as well.:rolleyes:

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I certainly hope not. Anything bigger than the iPhone 5 is too big IMO. Had the S3... too big!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.