Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
I just replaced the HDD for a different sata one
i had to modify the cable and make it fit because i couldnt find any HDD
that matched the one that came inside the failed HDD..
anyways my computer now is working and i really need help on how to control or manage manipulate etc. the fans that keep going crazy.

i heard there is a software but i searched everywhere and i cant find it what so ever. i really need help because i really dont want anything bad to happen to my imac just fixed from the failed HDD please any help links names WOULD BE SUPER APPRECIATED :)

THANK YOU! :D

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Did you happen to hear about or check the Apple HDD recall for iMacs 2009 through 2011? If you didn't you can put your iMac S/N into Apple's site, here, to see if yours was under the recall. If it was, you could get that failed drive replaced by Apple for free. Let them know you've tried to replace it, though, if you've modified the cabling. They may want to charge you for a new cable. Then put that new HDD you bought into an external case.

Otherwise, as nyy8 mentioned, SMC fan control will take care of the Fan problem.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
Did you happen to hear about or check the Apple HDD recall for iMacs 2009 through 2011? If you didn't you can put your iMac S/N into Apple's site, here, to see if yours was under the recall. If it was, you could get that failed drive replaced by Apple for free. Let them know you've tried to replace it, though, if you've modified the cabling. They may want to charge you for a new cable. Then put that new HDD you bought into an external case.

Otherwise, as nyy8 mentioned, SMC fan control will take care of the Fan problem.

So i put the model of the imac right?! okay ill take care of that because i am super worried and it seems that ever since i changed the HDD the BLUETOOTH disappeared and im using now a cabled mouse and my ipod touch =,(

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
You put the serial number of your imac into the Apple page listed above. That will tell you if you had a Seagate HDD that was recalled. The small bluetooth board is located at the top left of your imac. Maybe you disconnected an antenna cable or the data cable when you had the screen off. Step ten on this ifixit site shows it's location.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

They wont charge him for a new cable, they wont repair it at all. If he's opened it, it will be considered to be beyond economic repair and they wont offer any service, paid or otherwise.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
They wont charge him for a new cable, they wont repair it at all. If he's opened it, it will be considered to be beyond economic repair and they wont offer any service, paid or otherwise.

With all due respect, that's simply not true. Apple replaced a HDD in my neighbors 2009 iMac that had it's Optical drive removed and an SSD installed in it that he did with no issue. He did no damage to the iMac, and Apple simply replaced the original HDD for free.

They don't care if you open it up. I asked a Genius this when I brought my 2009 in for a HDD replacement. They said that if it's been opened by the customer, they look for damage caused by that, and would charge for that repair. But, there's nothing in the warranty that prohibits you from opening your iMac.

You might want to review the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, this act says that the Mfg cannot void the warranty for modifying or installing aftermarket parts. However, if that modification, or the aftermarket part is found to have caused a failure with the warranted item, then the cost for repair would not be covered under the warranty.

If it falls under the HDD recall, they will attempt to replace the HDD. If they find damage, they will let you know how much it would cost to repair. You would probably be correct if you simply brought in a damaged imac that wasn't under recall, or warranty and wanted repairs to. However, that's usually at the discretion of the individual Apple location.

Simple as that. And I've experienced this or seen others experience this numerous times.

This law applies in the U.S. I don't know where the OP is located.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
With all due respect, that's simply not true. Apple replaced a HDD in my neighbors 2009 iMac that had it's Optical drive removed and an SSD installed in it that he did with no issue. He did no damage to the iMac, and Apple simply replaced the original HDD for free.

They don't care if you open it up. I asked a Genius this when I brought my 2009 in for a HDD replacement. They said that if it's been opened by the customer, they look for damage caused by that, and would charge for that repair. But, there's nothing in the warranty that prohibits you from opening your iMac.

You might want to review the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, this act says that the Mfg cannot void the warranty for modifying or installing aftermarket parts. However, if that modification, or the aftermarket part is found to have caused a failure with the warranted item, then the cost for repair would not be covered under the warranty.

If it falls under the HDD recall, they will attempt to replace the HDD. If they find damage, they will let you know how much it would cost to repair. You would probably be correct if you simply brought in a damaged imac that wasn't under recall, or warranty and wanted repairs to. However, that's usually at the discretion of the individual Apple location.

Simple as that. And I've experienced this or seen others experience this numerous times.

This law applies in the U.S. I don't know where the OP is located.

From their US retail repair terms (http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/repair/docs/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions_20101222.pdf)

If service is needed due to failure of parts that are not original to the product or due to damage caused by abuse, misuse or any external cause, Apple reserves the right to return the product to you without servicing it, and may hold you responsible for any indicated diagnostic fee.

They wont just charge for the repair. You can believe me or not, I don't really care, but it's company policy.

And as for that act - good luck proving beyond reasonable doubt that you modifying the HDD cable hasn't caused any damage.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
From their US retail repair terms (http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/repair/docs/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions_20101222.pdf)

They wont just charge for the repair. You can believe me or not, I don't really care, but it's company policy.

And as for that act - good luck proving beyond reasonable doubt that you modifying the HDD cable hasn't caused any damage.

I've found Apple to be quite lenient on what they will or won't do. Of course if the modified cable caused damage such as blowing out the LB or something, that wouldn't be covered. But, the cable itself being modified is not a reason for them to refuse a repair on a recalled device, because a HDD cable is a relatively cheap completely replaceable part that they would likely charge the OP for. This is why I mentioned in my first post in this thread to let them know an attempt was made to install a new HDD.

This has been my direct experience, and that of those I know who have done warranty, and non-warranty work through Apple.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
i've found apple to be quite lenient on what they will or won't do. Of course if the modified cable caused damage such as blowing out the lb or something, that wouldn't be covered. But, the cable itself being modified is not a reason for them to refuse a repair on a recalled device, because a hdd cable is a relatively cheap completely replaceable part that they would likely charge the op for. This is why i mentioned in my first post in this thread to let them know an attempt was made to install a new hdd.

This has been my direct experience, and that of those i know who have done warranty, and non-warranty work through apple.

okay about this hdd i actually was about to modify the imac the imac works completely fine now since the hdd is not compatible i had to cut some part of the hdd and it works completely fine :d but im scared about the bluetooth technology module it seems is not working whatsoever.. The last thing i have to do is the hard reset nvram but im not sure if this will work.. Ill give it a try about that. I am really scared i was like mega super careful about the imac.. I did everything super caring and very delicately... Cause i dont want to mess up my own computer. Well anyways the regulation of the fans say that are on 33 celsius i think thats good and sometimes it goes crazy and sometimes it just stops it depends is funny but anyways and by the way thank you thank you so much for all this information that i really need i have to check that up i need to open the computer again and also i have to do the nvram and i want to thank all of you for ur help its amaizng!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.