Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splash104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Been having issues with customizing my iPhone 5 through WB. Was wondering if every feature on iOS can be modified/customized without WB. Actually I need to precisely know the locations of say different icons (Wifi, Carrier, Time, Battery % etc.)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Been having issues with customizing my iPhone 5 through WB. Was wondering if every feature on iOS can be modified/customized without WB. Actually I need to precisely know the locations of say different icons (Wifi, Carrier, Time, Battery % etc.)

You can do most of the customizations without Winterboard but it will be a lot of work. I have gone through that path myself but, in the end, I gave up and went back to using Winterboard.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
The advantage of using WB is that you can simply uncheck what you do/don't want and re-spring. The advantage of theme-ing your phone the long way is that it's permanently done, unless you make backup folders of everything that you have changed. Even so, to revert you'd have to exchange all/some of your backup folders and remember exactly wherever everything goes. I prefer to use WB, but that's my opinion only.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can do most of the customizations without Winterboard but it will be a lot of work. I have gone through that path myself but, in the end, I gave up and went back to using Winterboard.

I hear you.
Its a major pain and one wrong move you can send your device stuck on the Apple logo.
I gave up too after a while but didn't go back to winterboard. Stayed with the stock look.:)

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I did quite a bit of customizing without winterboard on my 4s and yes, it's a pain in the rear end. It's definitely something you need to be sure you want to stick with for a looooong time once you change things lol

As far as I know, it's pretty impossible to change status bar elements without winterboard though.

On my 5 I've just decided to stay with the stock look. But lately I've been contemplating changing the hue on the shuffle, repeat and airplay icons in the iPod app because that orange is ugly and out of place. Why the heck did apple change it from blue? Blue at least matched everything else. I may be downloading ifile soon to change those icons because it's been driving me insane the last few weeks lol

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
I hear you.
Its a major pain and one wrong move you can send your device stuck on the Apple logo.
I gave up too after a while but didn't go back to winterboard. Stayed with the stock look.:)

Stock look is just way more prefered overall. It's nice.

splash104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Actually my WB doesn't work properly. Most of the time the changes I check within WB never show up. For example, I wanted to change the color of wifi signals and I downloaded a color tweak but it didn't work.

Btw, can anyone tell me how to change my status bar from transparent to solid? I mean I always see white status bar icons and no default blue ones either.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
You might be downloading old themes that just have not been renamed correctly for iOS 6 and are not even the correct image size and that's why they're not working.

splash104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
You might be downloading old themes that just have not been renamed correctly for iOS 6 and are not even the correct image size and that's why they're not working.

For most tweaks the compatibility is mentioned and for others its not. So how to make sure the tweaks I install will work with my iOS?

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
For most tweaks the compatibility is mentioned and for others its not. So how to make sure the tweaks I install will work with my iOS?

You would have to have ifile installed so you can make sure the files are proper size and named correctly.

Or do it on the computer, but I've never done it that way, so can't tell you how. Sorry. Maybe someone else could explain how to do it that way if you're looking to go that route.

splash104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
You would have to have ifile installed so you can make sure the files are proper size and named correctly.

Or do it on the computer, but I've never done it that way, so can't tell you how. Sorry. Maybe someone else could explain how to do it that way if you're looking to go that route.

Yes, I would want to try the iFile method. So how do I make sure that the size and name of the desired theme are correct? Is there any referencing method I could match with?

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Yes, I would want to try the iFile method. So how do I make sure that the size and name of the desired theme are correct? Is there any referencing method I could match with?

You could check the size and name of the original files or of themes that actually work.

I'm not sure of changes in files names on iOS 6 because I haven't themed anything, but it's usually things as simple as adding @2x~iPhone at the end of the name. I think the bigger issue would be the image sizes if you're on an iPhone 5.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
When I couldn't get the old Buuf theme to work on my phone, I used iFunBox with two side-by-side windows to compare stock system files to the theme files that didn't work. I found out that the theme files had extra characters in the filenames. If you use the details view, practically all details are shown.

Maybe it also helps that I have a 27" widescreen monitor...

splash104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
When I couldn't get the old Buuf theme to work on my phone, I used iFunBox with two side-by-side windows to compare stock system files to the theme files that didn't work. I found out that the theme files had extra characters in the filenames. If you use the details view, practically all details are shown.

Maybe it also helps that I have a 27" widescreen monitor...

Like just now I want to keep my own background image intact but change the icons under a particular theme and I checked 'Keep User Background' in WB, resprung but nothing happened. It still shows the background from the theme. Where exactly is the wallpaper image stored so that like you said I could use iFunBox to navigate to the location and see whether the exact names match or not.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've always manually themed. It's a pita. I prefer the "stock" look with some minor tweaking for transparency, etc. It has become too difficult to keep track of all the elements lately especially with artwork files. I gave in and installed winterboard. I only use my own theme and keep it simple and haven't had any issues. IMO if you don't go too deep with theming you shouldn't have any stability issues.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Anyone use themes directly from theme it app?

A lot of the themes that I like are not OS6.x compatible..I wrote to the dev of one that I really want and he said that they are working on it - that was a month ago. I'm tempted to buy it and play around with it anyways. That's what I did with Buuf, but that one was free. The one I want is Dynasty.

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Much of the stock ui is built into the phone(vertical integration) and apple pretty much builds the ui into the ios. Some things can be changed but the gist of it is pretty much locked. Winterboard works in a unique way to mask over most of what is seen, it does eat up a little ram but honestly is the best method to go.

Ill get the thread link for you so you can better understand how the ios is graphically made

Be back in five

Here is the link
http://modmyi.com/forums/skinning-themes-discussion/817877-ios6x-theme-guide.html

Go learn yourself something about theming newbs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.