Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac or Macbook Pro

• iMac + external monitor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Macbook Pro 13" + external monitor

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

woeiskevin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Maryland
At the moment i have a mid 2011 21.5" iMac that has a 2.5GHz core i5 with 4 GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB, 500GB HDD. And soon to add a second monitor to it as just one screen just isn't enough. But lately i been wanting to have my computer with me on the go or around the house and been thinking about switching to a Macbook Pro 13" from the same year or newer.My question is should i go ahead and switch?

The main thing's i do with my iMac is music production, video editing, and photo editing, and a little minecraft every now and then.Would a Macbook Pro be able to cover those 4 things without worrying about not enough power for them?

Which one would you choose?

Stay with iMac and add the external monitor or get Macbook Pro with a second monitor?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
imac display with external display=2 displays
macbook with external = 1 and a half display ..
so i guess stick or buy a new imac and that it

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I went with the laptop/monitor scenario a few years ago with the advent of quad core processors and I love the flexibility it provides. For the 13, I would probably choose the cMBP 2.9 and do my own upgrades. You could pair this with a TBD for a streamlined, all-Apple workspace or save dough and get a nice Dell monitor. Proceeds from the sale of the '11 would, of course help keep the out-of-pocket cost down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.