Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Mendozart
macrumors newbie

Question 1st time iPad buyer

I've owned ipods and itouches, but never an ipad. I've always wanted one, and I'm finally going to dive in. I've been trying to read as much comparison info as possible, plus have watched a ton of youtube comparisons. I'm not going to buy new, trying to save a bit. I have two Craigslist deals on the table, and need to make a decision tomorrow. I have deals worked for an Ipad 2 64gb and Ipad mini 32gb, both wifi, and both the same price. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Greg
Mendozart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:28 AM   #2
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

U have owned the touches so why not go for something little bulkier. Go for Ipad 2 because i think it could take a lot more beating compare to the mini. Especially when u are not buying brand new.

Though, i assumed the mini would still be under warrenty for certain period of time right?
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:35 AM   #3
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I've owned ipods and itouches, but never an ipad. I've always wanted one, and I'm finally going to dive in. I've been trying to read as much comparison info as possible, plus have watched a ton of youtube comparisons. I'm not going to buy new, trying to save a bit. I have two Craigslist deals on the table, and need to make a decision tomorrow. I have deals worked for an Ipad 2 64gb and Ipad mini 32gb, both wifi, and both the same price. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Greg
Additionally, think of the expected support lifecycle for each from Apple. The iPad 2 is serially 2 generations behind the current model and has the old 30 pin connector. I would expect it to get dropped whenever the next iPad refresh shows up.

The iPad Mini was launched with the lightning connector and while first generation products do have a diminished life expectancy; I would expect the Mini to get supported for another generation.
mtneer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Will you continue to use your other iDevices? If so, you might consider that the mini would have a different connector, and what that might mean to you. I deal with both (iPad mini and iPhone 4s), though, and it's not too much trouble.

I really like the size/form factor of my mini, and I'm not sure what "bigger" gets you in this case, since the resolution is the same for each. Regarding the memory: if you think 32GB would be enough, then 64GB doesn't really add much value to you.

As someone else pointed out, the mini is newer, and so would probably make it through a few more iOS updates. And being newer, I think it would hold its resale value better.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Mendozart
macrumors newbie

Good info so far. I'm the type of person that holds onto my devices forever. I'm an electrical technicinan, and have taken apart Ipod original minis, 5th gen videos, and iTouches, replacing batteries, harddrives, and broken screens. Right now I'm leaning towards the iPad 2, it being the same 30-pin connector as my other devices. Keep the info coming though.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Knockworstface
macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry about the 30 pin adaptor being phased out anytime soon, considering the majority of iOS users are still using 30 pin devices. I'd get the iPad that suits your needs. Me personally I'd get the iPad 2.
Knockworstface is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post

As someone else pointed out, the mini is newer, and so would probably make it through a few more iOS updates. And being newer, I think it would hold its resale value better.

Regards,
Tom
Do you think this is really true, given that the mini has only 512mb of RAM? I would think that as iOS gets more and more advanced, more RAM will be needed to handle basic tasks.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Sophia.
macrumors member

Size matters or does it? If you want a larger screen buy the iPad 2 if your ok with a smaller screen buy the mini. I personally would buy the iPad 2 if I was in your shoes because I prefer the larger screen and make good use of the extra browsing room you get with a larger screen.
Sophia. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

iPad mini as it is more future proof and as an iPad 3 user I actually find the iPad mini much more comfortable to use.

Also, the iPad mini has a 5 MP camera and an HD front facing camera.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Bokes
macrumors 6502

Get the ipad 3
Super-duper screen
just as fast as the ipad 4 on most tasks.
great deals right now with full 1 year warranty
Bokes is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:28 AM   #11
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

Its more of a feeling, but i would say go for the iPad 2. I owned one and it was a very good device. Nice screen. Superb Battery life. Resolution wise - you won't win or lose with either iPad. Processor wise - they have the same specs (if you don't look at the node size). Resale Value will drop less for your iPad 2 if you ever consider to sell it.
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Do you think this is really true, given that the mini has only 512mb of RAM? I would think that as iOS gets more and more advanced, more RAM will be needed to handle basic tasks.
But the iPad 2 has 512MB also, so this is a wash. They also both have essentially the same SOC (A5) and GPU, but the mini has the newer audio chip as found in the iPhone5 and iPad4 (which allows it offer Siri), so a slight "win" for mini here. May or may not make a difference to the OP, and unknown whether it really makes a difference in OS upgrade-ability.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Medic311
macrumors 68000

get an iPad 3 refurb
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:39 AM   #14
cardfan
macrumors regular

The Mini over the ipad 2 easily. The real problem is comparing the ipad 3 vs the Mini. They just dropped all the refurbed ipad 3's by another 50 dollars in the Apple store. 459 for a 16gb ipad 3 with LTE isn't bad.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Medic311
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
The Mini over the ipad 2 easily. The real problem is comparing the ipad 3 vs the Mini. They just dropped all the refurbed ipad 3's by another 50 dollars in the Apple store. 459 for a 16gb ipad 3 with LTE isn't bad.
damn you're right

i got an iPad 3 64GB-LTE for $679 last year. i see it's now $629.

i wonder if that's indicative of a new iPad soon?
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

As always without specifying what you will use it for, it is harder to give a recommendation for one over the other.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:57 PM   #17
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
I definitely agree.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:39 PM   #18
Mendozart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
As always without specifying what you will use it for, it is harder to give a recommendation for one over the other.
I will mainly be using it for web-browsing, e-mail, movies (netflix) & music. I realize the ipad 3 has the retina, which is cool, but the ipad2's picture looks fine to me. I'm also only spending $350.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:56 AM   #19
Mendozart
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

So, I picked up the ipad2 and its awesome! I ended up wanting the bigger screen and the 64gb. I cleaned and inspected it, and there is not one scratch on this thing. It doesn't't even look like it was used at all.
BTW, thanks for all the input!

Last edited by Mendozart; Mar 21, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Mendozart is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:29 AM   #20
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So, I picked up the ipad2 and its awesome! I ended up wanting the bigger screen and the 64gb. I cleaned and inspected it, and there is not one scratch on this thing. It doesn't't even look like it was used at all.
I'm glad you got what you wanted, enjoy it!
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:38 AM   #21
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Nice. I just got the 2 over the mini as well. I think it has superior build quality by what I've been reading about the mini's glass. The larger screen is nice. Downfall, if any: as others have mentioned - it may not go much further as far as iOS updates. I don't care about Siri, I don't talk to my devices, nor do I want to.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:49 PM   #22
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
After reading what you would be using it for, the 2nd gen is what I would have recommended. Enjoy!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad