Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

offshoresa65s

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Hi

My Santa Rosa 2007 MBP with Express34 slot died. I have a Seritek Express34 eSATA card and a dual bay Seritek 2TB RAID external enclosure.

I'm after a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter that will work with Seritek / Firmtek equipment.

I've contacted Firmtek tech support and they just say that they are working on an adapter, but no time frame and they don't endorse any other third party manufacturers.

I've seen adapters from Sonnet and Lacie, but no conclusive proof that it will work with Seritek / Firmtek gear.

Anyone been here before / any solutions?

Then, I'm thinking I need a DVD / BR external reader / Burner.

It's been a while since I've trawled all over this kind of adaption process and now I'm forced to work it out.

Any ideas on current state of play with BR and Apple?

I use Toast.

Also, what's the go, USB3 or thunderbolt connection?

Cheers

O

Last edited:

josephmccutchen

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
South Korea
Hi

My Santa Rosa 2007 MBP with Express34 slot died. I have a Seritek Express34 eSATA card and a dual bay Seritek 2TB RAID external enclosure.

I'm after a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter that will work with Seritek / Firmtek equipment.

I've contacted Firmtek tech support and they just say that they are working on an adapter, but no time frame and they don't endorse any other third party manufacturers.

I've seen adapters from Sonnet and Lacie, but no conclusive proof that it will work with Seritek / Firmtek gear.

Anyone been here before / any solutions?

Then, I'm thinking I need a DVD / BR external reader / Burner.

It's been a while since I've trawled all over this kind of adaption process and now I'm forced to work it out.

Any ideas on current state of play with BR and Apple?

I use Toast.

Also, what's the go, USB3 or thunderbolt connection?

Cheers

O

Found a Thunderbolt to Express34 adapter at OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/

A bit pricey, though; that's the only I know of.

For DVD/BR, try this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/blue+ray

It gives a list of burners/drives you could use.

USB3 vs. Thunderbolt? USB3 has lots more exposure, obviously, but Thunderbolt is way faster. That first link that I gave has Thunderbolt drives.

offshoresa65s

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Hi

Thnx for that.

I'm a little reluctant to deal with OWC

I Live in Australia and I've tried to buy from them in the past, but they want copies of my passport, drivers licence with photo etc

In this day and age of identity fraud etc, forget it

Cheers

O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.