Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1
pinkcoffee
macrumors newbie

Remote Desktop Connection

Hello.
I am using a Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Running Remote Desktop Connection 2.1.1

I am trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro machine at home from work.
When I clicked connect - it just spins - trying to connect and never connects.
Eventually, it seems like it kinda locks up because I can't click cancel or close it out - and I have to force quit the application.

I am running a virtual windows 7 as well, and I can RDP home with no issues from that machine.

Another side note - is when I am at home - the RDC works to my home PC with no issues
pinkcoffee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
960design
macrumors 6502a

Your work network protocols could be blocking the traffic. It's pretty common practice to ensure a safe environment for you.

Contact your network people and ask them.

I just reread that and it sounds awful. If it works everywhere except at work, then it MUST be your work network gurus locking it out. You can only get it to work by asking them to add an exception.

Or try a smarter tunneling software, something like Teamviewer.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:14 AM   #3
pinkcoffee
macrumors newbie

I can connect from my Windows PC from my work.
I doubt it is my office - as we are network people. I remote into many many places all day everyday - just not from my mac.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
zanapapa
macrumors newbie

I'm currently having the same problem. I am able to connect to my work computer if I use Windows via VMWare Fusion, but not through MAC version of MS RDC. Same symptoms as you, connection hangs with spinner.
Interestingly, I'm also in Florida. My ISP is Cox. I'm working with my Network Admins to figure this out. I will post if I come up with a solution. Can you check if you are able to use RDC through Windows either through Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels?
zanapapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
ctucci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcoffee View Post
Hello.
I am using a Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.8.3
Running Remote Desktop Connection 2.1.1

I am trying to connect to my Windows 7 Pro machine at home from work.
When I clicked connect - it just spins - trying to connect and never connects.
Eventually, it seems like it kinda locks up because I can't click cancel or close it out - and I have to force quit the application.

I am running a virtual windows 7 as well, and I can RDP home with no issues from that machine.

Another side note - is when I am at home - the RDC works to my home PC with no issues
Under security, did you happen to click "Always connect, even if authentication fails"?
ctucci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
zanapapa
macrumors newbie

I have mine to connect regardless of authentication and it still fails.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
pinkcoffee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanapapa View Post
I have mine to connect regardless of authentication and it still fails.
Yes. It is set to connect even if auth fails.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanapapa View Post
I'm currently having the same problem. I am able to connect to my work computer if I use Windows via VMWare Fusion, but not through MAC version of MS RDC. Same symptoms as you, connection hangs with spinner.
Interestingly, I'm also in Florida. My ISP is Cox. I'm working with my Network Admins to figure this out. I will post if I come up with a solution. Can you check if you are able to use RDC through Windows either through Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels?
i can connect through my windows pc just fine via rdp
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:22 PM   #8
zanapapa
macrumors newbie

The only thing that seems to have changed is updating to OSX 10.8.3 a couple of days ago. How does one report a bug to Apple?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store