Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
So, I'm going to buy a MacBook Air tonight, and I was planning on buying it at our local Apple Store and using my student ID to get an education discount. This drops the price of the base model to $1149. However, Best Buy's website shows they are currently holding a sale on the model, and there it costs $1129. Now, I'd honestly prefer to buy it at the Apple Store, but spending an extra 20 bucks to do so seems silly to me. If I print off a page from Best Buy's website showing their current sale price on the Air and take it in to Apple, will the store manager be able to approve some sort of price match?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I did a little searching myself and found an old AppleInsider article from 2008 stating that they'll do it on anything as long as the manager approves it. I have to wonder if this is still in effect.

For the sake of satisfying my curiosity as well as anyone else's here, I'll probably take the Best Buy printout to the Apple Store first tonight. If they won't give me the reduced price, I'll just drive over to the nearby Best Buy and purchase the computer. In the meantime, anyone with experiences of getting things price matched at the Apple Store is free to chime in :)

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Around Christmas I wanted to get an Apple TV. BestBuy had it for about $90 while Apple had it for $99. (Please note that the Apple Store and BestBuy are across the street from one another) I told the manager that I wanted to buy the Apple TV and the Apple HDMI cable at the Apple store, but wanted them to match the price because it would be silly not to drive across the street and get the same product for about 10% less. The manager said he wouldn't (or maybe couldn't) price match. I left without buying an Apple TV or the Apple HDMI cable from the Apple store since I felt like that was slightly ridiculous. YMMV.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Why not just get it at Best Buy if they have the lowest price? Or do you enjoy going to multiple stores and wasting your time arguing with managers just to prove a point? :confused:

Why is it better to purchase at the Apple Store? I have bought several Macs at both places and can't think of any reason to prefer one over the other. At Best Buy you can also get Reward Zone points for discounts on future purchases.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Wait...you're going to drive to the Apple Store, park, walk in, talk to an employee, ask if they'll match a discounted price...

...and if they don't, you're going to walk out, get back in your car, drive to Best Buy, park, walk into the store, find an employee and purchase your MBA there?

All this to save $20?

----------

Around Christmas I wanted to get an Apple TV. BestBuy had it for about $90 while Apple had it for $99. (Please note that the Apple Store and BestBuy are across the street from one another) I told the manager that I wanted to buy the Apple TV and the Apple HDMI cable at the Apple store, but wanted them to match the price because it would be silly not to drive across the street and get the same product for about 10% less. The manager said he wouldn't (or maybe couldn't) price match. I left without buying an Apple TV or the Apple HDMI cable from the Apple store since I felt like that was slightly ridiculous. YMMV.

Apple's target market doesn't usually buy based on price, they buy based on perceived value.

It's a waste of their time to negotiate with every person looking to save a few bucks.

----------

Why not just get it at Best Buy if they have the lowest price? Or do you enjoy going to multiple stores and wasting your time arguing with managers just to prove a point? :confused:

Why is it better to purchase at the Apple Store? I have bought several Macs at both places and can't think of any reason to prefer one over the other. At Best Buy you can also get Reward Zone points for discounts on future purchases.

Apple's return policy is usually easier, and the stores are usually nicer to be in.

But if you buy a lot of stuff from BB, RZ points seem like a no-brainer.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Why buy from either? You can get a base MBA from either Amazon or MacMall for $1129.98 shipped and no sales tax.

Buying from either the Apple Store or Best Buy you will have to pay sales tax. Shipping is pretty quick from either place.

Now I have read that Best Buy will give you an extra $50 off if you say that you are looking at Amazon.

My advice is to get it from Amazon or MacMall. MacMall also has BTO MBAs as well.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Just to throw this out there...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...75866249?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item460d996089

That's the current gen-model on Apple's eBay account for only $900. Most states won't charge tax, either. If you do want to save a bit that's a great way! I just got mine in today from the same listing and it looks and feels brand new. I also got a free upgrade to 8GB RAM, so you might even get a better model! Just something to consider, I know not all people are willing to buy refurb.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
The driving around to find the cheapest price point is my dad's deal, not mine. He's paying for the computer, so he's the one who wants to go to the trouble. It actually turns out that the Apple Store is going to be the least expensive place to purchase it after all, since he gets a discount through his work that brings the price down a little lower than the Best Buy sale.

To those that recommended buying online to avoid sales tax: like I said, my dad's problem, not mine. I told him he should purchase it online and he didn't want to.

To those that questioned my desire to get the computer from the Apple Store when Best Buy was cheaper: I just wanted to buy it there. Call it personal preference. I happen to like the Apple Store.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Why buy from either? You can get a base MBA from either Amazon or MacMall for $1129.98 shipped and no sales tax.

Buying from either the Apple Store or Best Buy you will have to pay sales tax. Shipping is pretty quick from either place.

Now I have read that Best Buy will give you an extra $50 off if you say that you are looking at Amazon.

My advice is to get it from Amazon or MacMall. MacMall also has BTO MBAs as well.

I can think of 2 reasons why I won't buy an Apple laptop from Amazon.

1) Instant Gratification
2) I live in WA where Amazon collects sales tax.

Plus most B&M stores don't stock custom configurations, which means that you have to buy online.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The driving around to find the cheapest price point is my dad's deal, not mine. He's paying for the computer, so he's the one who wants to go to the trouble. It actually turns out that the Apple Store is going to be the least expensive place to purchase it after all, since he gets a discount through his work that brings the price down a little lower than the Best Buy sale.

To those that recommended buying online to avoid sales tax: like I said, my dad's problem, not mine. I told him he should purchase it online and he didn't want to.

To those that questioned my desire to get the computer from the Apple Store when Best Buy was cheaper: I just wanted to buy it there. Call it personal preference. I happen to like the Apple Store.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Apple Store do when selling a MBA than BB does?

You do realize that you can buy your MBA from BB and then take it to an Apple store for service.

My advice, if you buy from a brick and mortar store, get it where you can get the best price. To me a store's ambiance is not worth paying more.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They will usually price match as long as it's in stock and a valid price.

It's down to the discretion of the manager though.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Really, if your Dad is paying, it makes perfect sense for him to choose the store. Enjoy your new mac. After you graduate, get a job, pay your own bills and take on some responsibilities your attitudes on all of this may change. I know mine certainly did. But it's all just part of the learning experience.

FWIW, once you reach a certain threshold of annual purchases at best buy you get reward zone silver status and that allows you to return just about anything within a 3 month window. I actually did this once with an Asus netbook I wasn't pleased with after about two months use. First time I've ever done something like that, but I was trading up to a more expensive model so they didn't object and the whole thing was pretty painless.

I haven't bought much at best buy over the past year and no longer have the silver RW status, but in the past it wasn't a bad perk because you also get more of a rebate.

Amazon is building distribution centers in a number of new states now, including mine (NJ) the whole "tax free" thing may be harder to find in the future. And of course, almost every state expects you to voluntarily pay them sales tax on out of state purchases now. ;) Do a search for "use tax" in your state and see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.