Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
7-13% for the CPU itself was expected

But there's only about 20-30% improvement in 3D graphics, when initial claims were 50%.

Don't forget that the laptop chips will have a stronger GPU.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/haswe...vy-bridge-over-sandy-bridge/#vanilla-comments

Seems like it if has same gains from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge, it's more incremental than we built it up to be... unless there's a missing piece of the puzzle like ARM-realm battery life.

Thoughts/comments?

Haswell has always been about better battery life, and not performance improvements. A much improved battery life is what Intel has been talking about for over a year now. Because of that, I was not expecting any major speed boost. Now, if Haswell fails to deliver a much better battery life than Ivy Bridge, then Intel will be in trouble.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Haswell has always been about better battery life, and not performance improvements. A much improved battery life is what Intel has been talking about for over a year now. Because of that, I was not expecting any major speed boost. Now, if Haswell fails to deliver a much better battery life than Ivy Bridge, then Intel will be in trouble.

I see. Interesting, I haven't been following it quite well but I know power efficiency was at least a part of the hype.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
why make a new one when there are tons of other threads about haswell?

having said that here is whats wrong:

1) I dont know what your expectations were, but they have always said its going to be around 5-20% cpu improvements

2) Again I dont know what were your expectations regarding the gpu or if you actually now that there are now 2 gpu models, with distinct capabilities in the mobile world (it always happened in the desktop), the 4000 (4400 and 4600) and the 5000 (5100 and 5200), I want to see what the 5200 brings to the table

3) There is the new sleep state that intel made, how earth shattering thats going to be? I dont really know

Whats best is to get knowledge so that you can have the right set of expectations.

Another thing that tons of people are saying to wait for haswell, is possible changes in the design of the line

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'm not sure I'm in the market for a new laptop anyways, I just like reading up on these things.

I guess another thread isn't needed, but MR can afford an additional one on their server, so why not?

Instead of adding to a "I'm dying waiting for Haswell," and getting flamed left and right, I figured a thread with a different tone and an article for reference might be interesting.

It'd be nice to have a retina display, but I love my 2011 13" Air plentyyyy

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I don't think anyone was realistically expecting it to be earth-shattering.

Expectations are simply way too high because of all the people trying to justify not buying a rMBP now.

"Never buy a rev1 Apple product! The rMBP is way underpowered for its screen, wait until Haswell, it will finally be powerful enough to not lag! An integrated GPU can't drive the Retina display in the 13" rMBP unless it's Haswell."

That kind of comment. They usually come from people who have no clue why the rMBP has laggy scrolling yet it's like they know what the solution is. They don't care about the real solution anyway, they just want to convince themselves not to buy a rMBP because their current Mac does the job fine, even though they are tempted as f.

If even a GT 650M can't scroll perfectly smoothly in Safari, why would you expect Haswell iGPU, which obviously won't be as powerful as a GT 650M, to fix lag? Switching between the HD 4000 and GT 650M barely has any effect at all, even though there's a huge performance difference between the two.

Likewise, if a 2.7 GHz 15" rMBP doesn't seem to lag any less than a 2.3 GHz one, why would you think a slight CPU bump with Haswell would magically fix things?

Let's start by using rMBPs at their full performance potential before claiming they are underpowered. The way Safari (stable version) handles scrolling does not use CPU/GPU efficiently at all. Apple messed up on that part. They should have optimized their software better from the start so that the rMBP wouldn't suffer from perception problems. Even the day it will be completely fixed I bet we'll still hear about it.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
When can we expect to see these new "Haswell" MacBooks anyway? 2014? 2013 Q4?

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
I don't think anyone was realistically expecting it to be earth-shattering.

Expectations are simply way too high because of all the people trying to justify not buying a rMBP now.

"Never buy a rev1 Apple product! The rMBP is way underpowered for its screen, wait until Haswell, it will finally be powerful enough to not lag! An integrated GPU can't drive the Retina display in the 13" rMBP unless it's Haswell."

That kind of comment. They usually come from people who have no clue why the rMBP has laggy scrolling yet it's like they know what the solution is. They don't care about the real solution anyway, they just want to convince themselves not to buy a rMBP because their current Mac does the job fine, even though they are tempted as f.

If even a GT 650M can't scroll perfectly smoothly in Safari, why would you expect Haswell iGPU, which obviously won't be as powerful as a GT 650M, to fix lag? Switching between the HD 4000 and GT 650M barely has any effect at all, even though there's a huge performance difference between the two.

Likewise, if a 2.7 GHz 15" rMBP doesn't seem to lag any less than a 2.3 GHz one, why would you think a slight CPU bump with Haswell would magically fix things?

Let's start by using rMBPs at their full performance potential before claiming they are underpowered. The way Safari (stable version) handles scrolling does not use CPU/GPU efficiently at all. Apple messed up on that part. They should have optimized their software better from the start so that the rMBP wouldn't suffer from perception problems. Even the day it will be completely fixed I bet we'll still hear about it.

Very well said. +1

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I'm not sure I'm in the market for a new laptop anyways, I just like reading up on these things.

I guess another thread isn't needed, but MR can afford an additional one on their server, so why not?

Instead of adding to a "I'm dying waiting for Haswell," and getting flamed left and right, I figured a thread with a different tone and an article for reference might be interesting.

It'd be nice to have a retina display, but I love my 2011 13" Air plentyyyy

Never feel bad about adding a new thread, Brother. I for one love it when I see a new Haswell thread. It helps me learn. Even if its a question previously asked many times, within all the responses theres usually a helpful golden nugget. Anybody who gets fed up seeing a new thread about a subject previously addressed can just skip it. Ask away my friend, that's what this forum is for:):D

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
And who exactly expected anything earth shattering from Haswell on the Desktop.
That CPU speed will stay roughly the same with minimal increases has always been obvious.
The interesting things will be battery life and GT3e (aka HD 5200) neither of these two things are even remotely touched in THGs 4770k desktop ES test.

I wonder what the op actually was expecting?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I guess I was expecting power efficiency AND significant performance boosts.

And unlike last refresh, I knew Ivy Bridge was an iteration of Sandy Bridge and little more (hence overlap in the name)

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I guess I was expecting power efficiency AND significant performance boosts.

And unlike last refresh, I knew Ivy Bridge was an iteration of Sandy Bridge and little more (hence overlap in the name)

its a simple tick tock schedule. They dont make giant leaps in performance anymore, its usually around the 5-20% (with some notable exceptions like clarksdale to SB quads thats pawnage)

in terms of battery life, its always incremental and continuous change, they use a philosophy there, get it done and get it quickly

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
earth shattering changes don't fit well with product cycles

no one should have expected the world.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah like I said I don't mind anyways since I'm sticking with my 2011 air.

I find this thread to be intriguing. We see the 10% CPU gain, but this does not show the i5 CPU, the GPU or the battey life. Those other two are the real rumored improvements. I am still hoping!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The haswell will be perfect to upgrade from a sandy bridge, or for those who wants a r macbook or macbook air. The battery will make from these laptops a "true" mobile computer that will last 10 hours of usage(that will be the apple moto from now, after they start it with the ipad/ipad mini and they will continue with iphone 5s and macbook line up powered by Haswell). In terms of graphic will be a good way to experience the retina macbooks because hd4000 of any rmacbook is a little weak to render that resolution and in terms of games i think they will be very ok for games like call of duty, starcraft diablo wow etc).

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
7-13% for the CPU itself was expected

But there's only about 20-30% improvement in 3D graphics, when initial claims were 50%.

Don't forget that the laptop chips will have a stronger GPU.

Were the +50% claims for the 4600? I know the GT3 chipset which won't be out until the end of the year is the one that's supposed to be closer to +100%.

I think the biggest advantages will actually come with Broadwell. By then we'll have the GT3 or better graphics and an even more efficient processor.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Were the +50% claims for the 4600? I know the GT3 chipset which won't be out until the end of the year is the one that's supposed to be closer to +100%.

I think the biggest advantages will actually come with Broadwell. By then we'll have the GT3 or better graphics and an even more efficient processor.

The GT3 comes with Haswell. Broadwell brings a die shrink and also comes along with DDR4 RAM, hopefully allowing greater DIMM capabilities (16+ GB).

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
The GT3 comes with Haswell. Broadwell brings a die shrink and also comes along with DDR4 RAM, hopefully allowing greater DIMM capabilities (16+ GB).

I know that, but Haswell will have a few different video chipsets. GT2 and GT3. Desktops aren't even receiving GT3 as an option.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I know that, but Haswell will have a few different video chipsets. GT2 and GT3. Desktops aren't even receiving GT3 as an option.
Oh I see; you think Intel will only make GT3 and better with Broadwell? I say GT2 becomes low end and GT3 is high end.But who knows? That is kinda far off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.