Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

police340

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hello,
I just got off the phone with an apple autorized repair center where I brought my iMac in for repair dur to screen displaying pink lines, going blank on me, etc. This was happening quite frequently. They are running diagnosics on it and telling me after 75 loops and a day and a half it has not failed. Apple will not warranty any replacment parts unles something fails they tell me. I am saying leave it just running the desktop and it will fail. What the rep essentially told me if it does not fail h/w diags it could be software!

Is this true as to how they diagnose problems and is this true? I asked what if I brought it in to Apple, she said they would tlel me the same.

Frustrating it is. Thanks, Bill

Last edited:

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
you are experiencing pink lines on your display?
can you see them during boot up with grey screen/apple logo?
if so its definitely display. possibly graphics.

if you can see it all the time during usage, they need to replace your LCD and/or graphics card.

Apple store will swap out both of these components for you, as long as you have an apple warranty.
Apple authorized service providers can only install one part per 30days, so you may just need to get your machine back and take it into the apple store (dont prefer them these days) but theyll be able to swap out the parts for you.

police340

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
you are experiencing pink lines on your display?
can you see them during boot up with grey screen/apple logo?
if so its definitely display. possibly graphics.

if you can see it all the time during usage, they need to replace your LCD and/or graphics card.

Apple store will swap out both of these components for you, as long as you have an apple warranty.
Apple authorized service providers can only install one part per 30days, so you may just need to get your machine back and take it into the apple store (dont prefer them these days) but theyll be able to swap out the parts for you.

The lines come on and completely block the screen or you get other nonsense on the screen that completely obscures the screen. I just picked it up out of shop with no resolution since it did not show a problem under diags. Will monitor at home now.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.