Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

GarageBand for iOS Updated With Audiobus Support and Other Enhancements

Apple today updated its GarageBand app for iOS to version 1.4, bringing handful of improvements including support for playing and recording audio routed through Audiobus.
Quote:
What's New in Version 1.4

- Play and record music apps supported by Audiobus directly into GarageBand*
- Turn off grid snapping to get finer control over region and note editing
- Fixes an issue that resulted in feedback while connecting 3rd-party audio accessories into the headphone/microphone jack

* Requires iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later. Audiobus requires a separate purchase.
Audiobus support for GarageBand comes just as Audiobus has announced a public SDK to allow developers to incorporate support into their apps. Over 100 apps have already been designed to support Audiobus through the previous closed beta.

GarageBand [Direct Link] is a $4.99 download on the App Store, while Audiobus [Direct Link] is priced at $9.99.

Article Link: GarageBand for iOS Updated With Audiobus Support and Other Enhancements
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

More features for an old app. Good.
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Apps siloing data has been a criticism of iOS. Hopefully this is a sign of more mechanisms for inter-app communication to come in iOS 7. It's kind of interesting that Apple is making the effort to make their first-party app compatible with a third-party app.
commander.data is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:06 PM   #4
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
Apps siloing data has been a criticism of iOS. Hopefully this is a sign of more mechanisms for inter-app communication to come in iOS 7. It's kind of interesting that Apple is making the effort to make their first-party app compatible with a third-party app.
Yep, I think Apple making a third party app compatible with their first party app is the biggest thing . I had heard about Audiobus and had seen videos. It intrigued me but I never did grab it.
This is pretty awesome, since GarageBand is a decent recording app for iOS capable of transferring to GarageBand or Logic on a Mac. I don't know too much about Audiobus yet, but I know I have plenty of third party apps that say they're compatible with it. It will be fun to play with this weekend.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Was thinking the same thing, its a good sign i think.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:31 PM   #6
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Party time for those guys
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G5

Me four. It's neat to see Apple not only recognize the value of this somewhat niche service, but jump on board with an update!

But siloing data has never been about first- vs. third-party tech, it has always been about security, privacy, and ease of use: sandboxing, and "post-filesystem" interaction where the filesystem is a detail users neither see nor think about. All of which is great, but it needs to evolve and become more powerful: iOS is no good for project-based workflows where assets from many programs are managed together. Now, maybe there's little need for that at present: Macs do that kind of heavy work. But the need is only growing.

(And thank goodness that's not the new GarageBand icon! It's the Audiobus icon.)
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #8
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

For those interested, Audiobus just got knocked down to $4.99 (50% off) due to GarageBand compatibility celebration.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
petsounds
macrumors 65816

This is extremely surprising. The Apple of old would not be supporting an unofficial hack, cool though it is. I guess it's a sign that they are opening up more in the post-Jobs era.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
yadmonkey
macrumors 65816

It would be nice if they'd remove that stupid song-length limitation. For one think, it would make GarageBand useful for recording podcasts.
yadmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
This is extremely surprising. The Apple of old would not be supporting an unofficial hack, cool though it is. I guess it's a sign that they are opening up more in the post-Jobs era.
Audiobus is not an "unofficial hack", though. The developers worked tirelessly with Apple during the development process to make sure it met all requirements and would be fit for approval.

If anything, Apple supported a so-called "unofficial hack" when they implemented "AudioCopy/Paste" into iOS Garageband but wouldn't you know it, that was implemented when Steve was still alive, so I guess your entire theory is sort of out the window.
gatearray is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:21 PM   #12
tarasis
macrumors 6502

I love the idea of this to get Animoog stuff out easily in GB. The alone is worth the bucks/euros for me.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:21 PM   #13
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Audiobus is not an "unofficial hack", though. The developers worked tirelessly with Apple during the development process to make sure it met all requirements and would be fit for approval.
I guess the open question is whether Apple will be so supportive that they role the technology into the next iOS release and then pull Audiobus for duplicated functionality?
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #14
petsounds
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post

If anything, Apple supported a so-called "unofficial hack" when they implemented "AudioCopy/Paste" into iOS Garageband but wouldn't you know it, that was implemented when Steve was still alive, so I guess your entire theory is sort of out the window.
It's definitely a hack. There is no official ability in the iOS SDK to send audio from one app to another. Apple hasn't exactly been encouraging of inter-app functionality. Don't get me wrong -- "hack" is not a bad word; what they did is a very clever workaround. But I'd rather see system-level APIs for sharing any kind of data between one app and another. I think GarageBand's support of Audiobus and copy/pasta (10 internet points for you on that) just highlights a lack of big innovations within iOS itself. Hopefully iOS 7 will push us far forward, instead of just following what 3rd-party developers are doing.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:17 AM   #15
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm surprised Apple didn't acquire Audiobus or build their own standard. Seems odd to adopt a third party standard (while good, Apple has no control over the direction of the API).
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion