Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
H E L V I S
macrumors newbie

Apple TV Audio Conundrum.

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Recently, I just bought a new iMac 27" along with an Apple TV.

I have my iMac set up in my bedroom and my ATV set up in the lounge connected to my Television. My plan was to use the Apple TV as the bridge which joins my iMacs content through to the lounge as the iMac has all my movies and music stored.

The issue I have come across now is that my television has no audio outputs and no headphone socket. So the audio that comes from the Apple TV is going through the rubbish TV speakers.

I have a wee set of speakers connected to a subwoofer sitting by my tv that I usually connect my iPod to but the only connection it has is a 3.5mm jack.

So, now yous know my horrible set up, is there any advice yous can give that might solve my problem. Or am I just looking at getting a better TV?

Cheers.
H E L V I S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
wzz
macrumors member

it's not a direct help but it could give you some inspiration. click here

overview [that could be applied in your case]

ATV (((airplay sound))) iPod touch/iPhone -> speakers

Last edited by wzz; Mar 20, 2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: inserted overview
wzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Attonine
macrumors 6502

I think getting a new TV may be the easiest option.

An alternative is to get a simple hi-fi amp and speakers or maybe a receiver to pass the audio from the ATV through. You may also need to get a DAC as the ATV will pass audio via the a TOSLINK cable. Used hi-fi equipment can be picked up readily and can be cheap, a real bargain.
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

i use a surround system that has optical audio in, and just connect the ATV optical audio out to that.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Idgit
macrumors 6502

You could get a space-efficient, low-cost sound bar like the Sony CT-150. Or some other brand/model.
Idgit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:18 PM   #6
neotwig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H E L V I S View Post
The issue I have come across now is that my television has no audio outputs and no headphone socket. So the audio that comes from the Apple TV is going through the rubbish TV speakers.

I have a wee set of speakers connected to a subwoofer sitting by my tv that I usually connect my iPod to but the only connection it has is a 3.5mm jack.

So, now yous know my horrible set up, is there any advice yous can give that might solve my problem. Or am I just looking at getting a better TV?
It's not ideal, but cheaper than a TV... adapt the audio. There are Optical TOSLINK to 3.5mm analog audio adapters. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA21-Opti...7TA/ref=sr_1_5
neotwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:

I have my iMac set up in my bedroom and my ATV set up in the lounge connected to my Television. My plan was to use the Apple TV as the bridge which joins my iMacs content through to the lounge as the iMac has all my movies and music stored.

Cheers.

What are you trying to achieve? Yous could buy a nice sound bar to sit under the TV with HDMI. This way Yous can get the full bitstream HD sound.

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/cgi-bin/item/4005801

Check this out. I have actually heard this at a local AV store and I was blown away by the sound. Your TV sits on top and blends in with the TV very nice.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:26 AM   #8
matt2053
macrumors regular

You might benefit from an AVR. All your inputs (including Apple TV) go in to the receiver. Then the receiver does video out to your TV and audio out to your speakers.
matt2053 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 09:26 AM   #9
zhenlek
macrumors newbie

Another cheaper solution

Quote:

Cheers.
Hi any update on your Apple TV sound output so far?

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV myself and is also worried about the crappy sound from my TV speakers...
zhenlek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenlek View Post
Hi any update on your Apple TV sound output so far?

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV myself and is also worried about the crappy sound from my TV speakers...
The options are pretty much outlined above. It's up to each person to weight the pros and cons of each solution to find what suits that person the best.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #11
afd
macrumors 6502a

Probably not a solution that'll suit audiophiles, but a soundbar is certainly an improvement on most flat screen speakers. Here's one for 80.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater