Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H E L V I S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Recently, I just bought a new iMac 27" along with an Apple TV.

I have my iMac set up in my bedroom and my ATV set up in the lounge connected to my Television. My plan was to use the Apple TV as the bridge which joins my iMacs content through to the lounge as the iMac has all my movies and music stored.

The issue I have come across now is that my television has no audio outputs and no headphone socket. So the audio that comes from the Apple TV is going through the rubbish TV speakers.

I have a wee set of speakers connected to a subwoofer sitting by my tv that I usually connect my iPod to but the only connection it has is a 3.5mm jack.

So, now yous know my horrible set up, is there any advice yous can give that might solve my problem. Or am I just looking at getting a better TV?

Cheers.

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
it's not a direct help but it could give you some inspiration. click here

overview [that could be applied in your case]

ATV (((airplay sound))) iPod touch/iPhone -> speakers

Last edited:

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I think getting a new TV may be the easiest option.

An alternative is to get a simple hi-fi amp and speakers or maybe a receiver to pass the audio from the ATV through. You may also need to get a DAC as the ATV will pass audio via the a TOSLINK cable. Used hi-fi equipment can be picked up readily and can be cheap, a real bargain.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
You could get a space-efficient, low-cost sound bar like the Sony CT-150. Or some other brand/model.

neotwig

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
The issue I have come across now is that my television has no audio outputs and no headphone socket. So the audio that comes from the Apple TV is going through the rubbish TV speakers.

I have a wee set of speakers connected to a subwoofer sitting by my tv that I usually connect my iPod to but the only connection it has is a 3.5mm jack.

So, now yous know my horrible set up, is there any advice yous can give that might solve my problem. Or am I just looking at getting a better TV?

It's not ideal, but cheaper than a TV... adapt the audio. There are Optical TOSLINK to 3.5mm analog audio adapters. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA21-Optical-Converter-Headphone/dp/B008EPW7TA/ref=sr_1_5

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

I have my iMac set up in my bedroom and my ATV set up in the lounge connected to my Television. My plan was to use the Apple TV as the bridge which joins my iMacs content through to the lounge as the iMac has all my movies and music stored.

Cheers.

What are you trying to achieve? Yous could buy a nice sound bar to sit under the TV with HDMI. This way Yous can get the full bitstream HD sound.

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/cgi-bin/item/4005801

Check this out. I have actually heard this at a local AV store and I was blown away by the sound. Your TV sits on top and blends in with the TV very nice.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
You might benefit from an AVR. All your inputs (including Apple TV) go in to the receiver. Then the receiver does video out to your TV and audio out to your speakers.

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Another cheaper solution

Cheers.

Hi any update on your Apple TV sound output so far?

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV myself and is also worried about the crappy sound from my TV speakers...

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Hi any update on your Apple TV sound output so far?

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV myself and is also worried about the crappy sound from my TV speakers...
The options are pretty much outlined above. It's up to each person to weight the pros and cons of each solution to find what suits that person the best.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Probably not a solution that'll suit audiophiles, but a soundbar is certainly an improvement on most flat screen speakers. Here's one for £80.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.