Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
DigiTimes is reporting that next-generation iPhone components will begin shipping at the end of May, and Apple's new smartphone could show up sometime in the third quarter, matching with other reports that an iPhone 5S would be released in June or July.
Components for the next-generation iPhone will start shipping at the end of May with the new smartphone to have a chance of showing up in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The new iPhone will not receive a major upgrade and may just be a slightly enhanced version of iPhone 5 (iPhone 5S), the sources said citing their latest specification data.
DigiTimes' sources claim the iPhone 5S would have a higher-end processor and a higher-megapixel camera, which match with other rumors about the phone.

Other recent reports say Foxconn is currently preparing to ramp production on the iPhone 5S and that it may come equipped with a fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: iPhone 5S to Get Upgraded Camera and Processor, Could Ship to Retailers in the 3rd Quarter

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Personally I'd rather they skip the S, give us a little innovation and put a new 6 out next year. Bigger screen, changes to iOS, give Siri a French accent. That kind of thing. Throwing a letter on the end of the name and asking us for another $500 is getting old. Not just with Apple, but all the phone makers who want to take baby steps and charge us premium.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
It's a shame. They definitely acknowledge the competition, as Schiller's comments prove, yet they're not driven to actually do anything about it.

Assuming this report is true of course.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Personally I'd rather they skip the S, give us a little innovation and put a new 6 out next year. Bigger screen, changes to iOS, give Siri a French accent. That kind of thing. Throwing a letter on the end of the name and asking us for another $500 is getting old. Not just with Apple, but all the phone makers who want to take baby steps and charge us premium.

typically contracts are 2 years, so we have two patterns.
iphone -> 3gs -> 4s -> 5s
and
iphone 3g -> iphone 4 -> iphone 5

I don't think it's Apple's intention to encourage users to upgrade every single year, it's just for those that are on the offset +1 year that need a reason to renew their contract.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Could actually upgrade my 5 to a 5S this year, but probably won't... just give me iOS7 and make it snazzy!

EDIT - Going to put that $300 toward a 13in rMBP with Haswell or an iPad Mini with Retina :D

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Better camera? Better processor? 3rd quarter? I'm not sure - but this is starting to look a lot like complacency. And considering the fact that Apple's lost almost half its value and that the HTC One and the SGS IV are looking like massive hits, this almost looks like they're doing it on purpose. Perhaps some people at Apple feel nostalgia - nostalgia for "success stories" such as the Newton, that is.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
If the body was solid, I could accept an "S" update. But this thing chips paint like nobody's business. Why should I have to wait 2 years before they fix the hardware issues? :rolleyes:

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I could have posted that news update. Those are just logically upgrades.No Vendor will bring out a new piece of hardware with the same CPU and same Camera etc.

No one knows what the next iPhone will look like or if it's even branded iPhone 5S.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I doubt even Apple would be bold enough to release such an incremental upgrade - the days of processor bumps and extra megapixels are long over. Of course there will be further advances in mobile technology. But the 4S was and is still a great performer in terms of processor and camera. The iPhone 5's download speeds are ridiculous (my record: 45 Mbps). Those "S" upgrade features have plateaued and are quite good enough for most folks.

There's lots of exciting hardware developments on the near horizon:
-a fingerprint scan instead of typing in your Apple ID password and unlock passcode 25 times every day
-cram a 2,000 mAh battery into the iPhone 5 body
-High bitrate voice calls
-stronger glass or water proofing
-NFC (not just payments; transit, event tickets, device pairing, advertisements, etc.)

At least something that makes me want to toss my iPhone 5 out the window :p

Last edited:

DoctorWho

Suspended
Jun 18, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
(Disclaimer: I hate to be that guy, but it's getting pretty ridiculous now...)

I know it's to be expected, but if that's all, then I really hope that Apple has something really amazing up their sleeves for iOS 7...

Where's the innovation that we know and love?! :apple:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Hmm, If iphone 5 only will have a slightly better camera and processor, but same design and everything else....then I think its time for Apple to consider doing a silent update. No point making an announcement on this.

A new camera and a slightly faster processor... I'll keep my iPhone 4 and wait to see if the 6 is any better. :(

What do you expect to get before upgrading?. If you actually have the 4, not 4s, the upgrade to iphone 5 is all ready a quite noticable improvement.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
That would be dreadful. In my very limited experience with android phones, accidentally activating those buttons was the most annoying thing. I'll keep my physical click thanks.

I hope Apple goes through with this. The home button is a great idea but the fact that the you need to double tap it to multitask, go back to the home screen, basically everything eventually wears and tears it down to the point its unusable.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ce-virtual-keyboards-replace-home-button.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.