Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Wassup Fam! :cool:

Been a MacBookPro Retina owner since December 2012 now.

I am equipped with a 15inch Retina (Mid 2012 Unit)

Running,

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeFore GT 650M 1024 MB
Storage: 256 Solid

I notice on the Apple website they released three MBP Retina.
One of them with the same spec I have but a "UP" (2.4Ghz).

I don't understand, did I miss something here..For the same price I purchase
my MBPR I see a new one with a thin of a spec difference.

Should I upgrade and exchange mine for the new?
or
Does Apple do things like this on purpose to mess with our Heads?

Is there something I don't know about the 2.3 Ghz?

I do a lot of work in LightRoom 4, PhotoShop, & starting to do video in Final cut.
I have been noticing that when using LightRoom with RAW files of 25-29MP size it tends to take its time loading. I mean not like a big difference..Maybe like 1-3 seconds..

But compared it to when I first got this Machine, it was instantly..
Now it has sorta like a small LAG. Could just be the use of it. Not complaining
this thing is a BEAST. But why would Apple "UP" the GHz on the NEW one.

BTW, this Beast gets SUPER HOT when using Final Cut X.
No Joke, I can cook a Egg on it.
I tend to not use Final Cut just because...

So for in the long run, should I upgrade my 15" MBPR 3 months old or UPGRADE my RAM to 16GB?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.08.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 8.08.48 AM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can't exchange your rMBP because its 3 months old, and apple provided a small speed bump in the specs.

I'd say its not worth going through the hassle of selling your current rMBP and buying another - you'll lose too much money in the process.

Enjoy what you have and don't worry about the small spec bump

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
You can't exchange your rMBP because its 3 months old, and apple provided a small speed bump in the specs.

I'd say its not worth going through the hassle of selling your current rMBP and buying another - you'll lose too much money in the process.

Enjoy what you have and don't worry about the small spec bump

Yea thanks Maflynn!

I meant upgrade in the sense of Turning in this Unit and paying the difference at the Apple Store.

But I got you on that NOTE, Small Speed bump aint worth it..
But could a 16GB RAM be a good BUMP for this Machine?

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Yea thanks Maflynn!

I meant upgrade in the sense of Turning in this Unit and paying the difference at the Apple Store.

But I got you on that NOTE, Small Speed bump aint worth it..
But could a 16GB RAM be a good BUMP for this Machine?

I have 8GB of Ram on a 11'' Air with a dual core processor and half the resolution of the rMBP. You do the math.

I don't think it's worth the hassle of the exchange, but when you buy a machine you can't upgrade later, try to spec it out as much as possible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't offer exchanges, so its a bit of a moot point. I mean they will exchange a laptop within the return period and maybe a little after that but since you purchased the rMBP back in December its not likely the Apple store will be willing to take the machine back and have you pay the difference for a newer one.

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Apple doesn't offer exchanges, so its a bit of a moot point. I mean they will exchange a laptop within the return period and maybe a little after that but since you purchased the rMBP back in December its not likely the Apple store will be willing to take the machine back and have you pay the difference for a newer one.

Yea, Thanks man!

I'm just going to hang on to this Machine for a while..Maybe BUMP the Ram in the future..Thanks a lot for your input!

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Yea, Thanks man!

I'm just going to hang on to this Machine for a while..Maybe BUMP the Ram in the future..Thanks a lot for your input!

You cannot bump the RAM in the future...it is soldered in. You need to buy for the future when you buy it.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Yea it's not Normal....
How can I check the Rpm & Temps? :confused:
You shouldn't rely on Apple's ridiculous fan curves and manage fans yourself. You can also override the curves entirely with FanControl, it's the best solution. However, it doesn't support rMBP as of now (I'm working on it)

First of all, install iStat Menus for basic fan control and temp monitoring (14-day trial, but it's awesome) and, if you want, IntelPowerGadget (free) to check the CPU wattage and frequency.

I'm pretty sure that the reason why your rMBP feels hot is because fan won't even spin up to their max rpm (which is ridiculous and was always the case with Apple). With fans at maximum it's loud but stays quite warm but not insanely hot even under benchmark-level loads, which is far more intense than Final Cut. Is it your first Macbook? It's been like that for a long time and rMBP is actually a nice upgrade in terms of cooling system (though still far from perfect)!

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
You shouldn't rely on Apple's ridiculous fan curves and manage fans yourself. You can also override the curves entirely with FanControl, it's the best solution. However, it doesn't support rMBP as of now (I'm working on it)

First of all, install iStat Menus for basic fan control and temp monitoring (14-day trial, but it's awesome) and, if you want, IntelPowerGadget (free) to check the CPU wattage and frequency.

I'm pretty sure that the reason why your rMBP feels hot is because fan won't even spin up to their max rpm (which is ridiculous and was always the case with Apple). With fans at maximum it's loud but stays quite warm but not insanely hot even under benchmark-level loads, which is far more intense than Final Cut. Is it your first Macbook? It's been like that for a long time and rMBP is actually a nice upgrade in terms of cooling system (though still far from perfect)!

Thanks a lot for the intel...Yea this is my first Mac. (noob here) :(
But yea, I will look into iStat Menus! Probably buy it if it will help my system live longer. I rather have it loud then lag...or freeze up on me!

It almost froze up on me today while I was completing a 7 min video in FCP.
I said, no way..Not now!

I need to invest some time to get to know my mac and do some Manual override to some stuff..The power is there but the way it's running can hurt the source!

Later dude, Definite let me know when you get Fan Control working for the Retina.

Thanks!

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012

Hey Maratus, see here on this link FanControl works for Retina: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4244359?start=0&tstart=0

What settings should I be using it at when not in use of heavy software like FCP & when using it heavy?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
2500-3000 in light use. 3000-3500 in moderate and about 4000 up with really heavy uses.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Hey Maratus, see here on this link FanControl works for Retina: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4244359?start=0&tstart=0

What settings should I be using it at when not in use of heavy software like FCP & when using it heavy?

Hi, this is SMCFanControl and, AFAIK, it can only force fans to a certain rpm. It's useful but nowhere near as convenient as fully automatic control based on CPU temperature.

Meanwhile, I've finally managed to install 10.6.8 Server in Parallels 8 :D so that I can use Xcode 3 natively and I recompiled old school Fan Control (don't confuse with SMCFanControl) to use TC0F sensor, which is working just fine on my rMBP (and Air as well, but it wasn't needed for Air).

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17047322/

You need to install original and then replace files manually (see readme.txt or first post in that thread)

After you're done, to adjust parameters you need to go to Systems Preferences / Fan Control. Currently, I'm using 2000rpm as a baseline, 55C as a lower threshold and 85C as a higher threshold. When CPU temp is within these limits, fans' RPMs are linear dependant on CPU temp.

:apple:

P.S. Since there's no separate rpm control for left and right fan, Fan Control forces both to the same rpm. I think I used default 6000rpm as max value. Under full load iStat Menus reads 6000rpm for both fans even though right fan is supposed to be 5500rpm max. It shouldn't be a problem, but it's funny. If you want 6500rpm (like 11" Air) it must be recompiled? Yeas, probably... ok I'm going to sleep :)

Last edited:

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
2500-3000 in light use. 3000-3500 in moderate and about 4000 up with really heavy uses.

Awesome thanks!

Hi, this is SMCFanControl and, AFAIK, it can only force fans to a certain rpm. It's useful but nowhere near as convenient as fully automatic control based on CPU temperature.

Meanwhile, I've finally managed to install 10.6.8 Server in Parallels 8 :D so that I can use Xcode 3 natively and I recompiled old school Fan Control (don't confuse with SMCFanControl) to use TC0F sensor, which is working just fine on my rMBP (and Air as well, but it wasn't needed for Air).

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17047322/

You need to install original and then replace files manually (see readme.txt or first post in that thread)

After you're done, to adjust parameters you need to go to Systems Preferences / Fan Control. Currently, I'm using 2000rpm as a baseline, 55C as a lower threshold and 85C as a higher threshold. When CPU temp is within these limits, fans' RPMs are linear dependant on CPU temp.

:apple:

P.S. Since there's no separate rpm control for left and right fan, Fan Control forces both to the same rpm. I think I used default 6000rpm as max value. Under full load iStat Menus reads 6000rpm for both fans even though right fan is supposed to be 5500rpm max. It shouldn't be a problem, but it's funny. If you want 6500rpm (like 11" Air) it must be recompiled? Yeas, probably... ok I'm going to sleep :)

Dude this rocks, thanks a lot for taking the time to post! :D
Will work with this for the future to come.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.