Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falconzblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a little assistance with an ipod touch, pretty sure its a second generation. I recently acquired it for cheap, but it is stuck on the screen with a picture of a usb cable and the itunes logo. I can't seem to bypass this.

http://i.imgur.com/4FwtUgj.jpg
Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with.

I'm not a huge apple user, so when it comes to fixing iPods I'm a little lost. I tried DFU but I couldn't seem to get it to work. If thats what I need to do, I would love a better explanation of how to do it, since the guide I found confused me a little bit.

My computer does not recognize a device being connected when it is plugged in (itunes included, does not recognize the ipod is plugged in.)
As far as I know it has no damage to it, and is aprox 4 years old, and is not jailbroken. I bought it used, so I cant confirm these statements yet.

I did a little searching through the forum and didn't see anything similar right off hand, so I apologize if this has already been solved before me...

Falconzblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
When you attempt a restore what error code are you getting?

No matter what I do I cant get it to display anything other then the "im turning on" apple logo, or the "connect to itunes" (and the "slide to power off" thing, of course.)

Also, it appears to still be able to take screenshots when I hold power and push home. Dont know if that helps at all but I thought I'd mention it

Resp2saveU

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
Google your question and it will explain exactly what to do. Choose to set up as new not from back up when asked. Make sure u have the latest version of iTunes installed. You really don't have any problems at this point. Trust me u will see. It's right where it should be the last owned simply cleared all data and hit the restore button while the iPod was not connected to iTunes, to clear out all of their info.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I keep seeing people trying DFU as their first step. Considering how tricky it is to get the timing just right, I consider that a last resort. (I guess "DFU" has great search engine rankings.)

Before you try DFU, give this a shot. Much less finicky, and works in nearly all cases: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808?viewlocale=en_US

If neither this nor DFU work, troubleshoot your iTunes installation. If iTunes can't detect any iOS device, it can't "detect a device in Recovery Mode."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.