Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

A Look at American Airlines' iPad Electronic Flight Bag

AOL travel website Gadling takes a look at the American Airlines iPad Electronic Flight Bag that received initial FAA approval more than a year ago.

The airline's pilots can replace 40 pounds of company manuals and maps with a pair of iPads (one for each pilot), along with a long-life battery to keep the iPads powered for 24 hours.

Because both pilots are carrying iPads with backup batteries, the FAA feels this is as redundant as paper manuals.
Quote:
So far American has approval for the 777, 737, MD-80 and is just awaiting approval for the 757/767 fleet. Hopefully, this will be just in time for my return to that airplane, as once you use this setup, you won't want to go back to the paper.

To get that approval, American had to have the iPad tested in a hypobaric chamber to simulate how the device would handle during a rapid decompression. They also had to arrange for mount testing with the FAA, which is ironic since our manuals weigh far more than the iPad and aren't secured in place. Many takeoffs have resulted in a book or two sliding off the side table and onto the floor.

Article Link: A Look at American Airlines' iPad Electronic Flight Bag
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
b3thomso
macrumors member

I am a private jet pilot and we have been approved and have been using the iPad alone for about a year now. This is old news.
b3thomso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3thomso View Post
I am a private jet pilot and we have been approved and have been using the iPad alone for about a year now. This is old news.
This isn't news, old or otherwise. It's an article about the impact of something that was news.
SvenSvenson is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re: original article
cool usage
cool video
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I am not a private jet pilot, so it's cool to see something I've read about in action.
Moyank24 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Quote:
As a private pilot, you apparently don't know much about the Airline industry and what an effort it has taken to get approval for this in Part 121 Carrier Operations. There is a reason this is reported as a "first". I am a pilot for Delta Air Lines, and we are in the process of getting the same approval. It has been "in test" with the FAA for over 18 months. Getting a process like this approved, across a fleet of 700 aircraft, of various types and configurations, and trained to a pilot group of 12,000 pilots is very significant.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68020

pilot's facial expression at the end says it all
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
To get that approval, American had to have the iPad tested in a hypobaric chamber to simulate how the device would handle during a rapid decompression. They also had to arrange for mount testing with the FAA, which is ironic since our manuals weigh far more than the iPad and aren't secured in place. Many takeoffs have resulted in a book or two sliding off the side table and onto the floor.
Hmm a book does not smash if it falls. Silly silly person!
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
Replacing books with consumer devices that will be obsolete in a few years. Fantastic idea.
92jlee is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I thought you didn't get reception that high?
Unless the plane has WiFi...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92jlee View Post
Replacing books with consumer devices that will be obsolete in a few years. Fantastic idea.
well, they are more environmentally friendly paper-wise & fuel wise, I have stumbled upon their annual weight/fuel ratio in the past.

real trouble is when a power issue drops in for a visit

a better solution would be if these were implemented on all planes through a centralised database accessed on a per flight demand. can't be that difficult, but yet we saw an article not a week ago that ipads are cheaper, lighter & easier to implement and deploy for on-board entertainment, why shouldn't it be for flight plans too?
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12
GregAndonian
macrumors 6502

This seems really cool and all, but it seems strange to me that they always tell passengers to turn off their electronic devices during takeoff and landing, but now it's ok to use iPads in the cockpit??

-Steve Jobs
GregAndonian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:12 PM   #13
techpr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndonian View Post
This seems really cool and all, but it seems strange to me that they always tell passengers to turn off their electronic devices during takeoff and landing, but now it's ok to use iPads in the cockpit??
Ironic for the same device.

----------

Quote:
40 pounds ls a lot in Aviation terms. the iPad is here to stay for long time, don't worry.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:14 PM   #14
viggen61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I thought you didn't get reception that high?
Unless the plane has WiFi...
All the flight data and manuals would be loaded onto the iPads as either custom apps or PDFs, all but eliminating the need for any connection. Get updates when on the ground, just like with the paper ones...

2 PMG4 MDDs, PMG3 Pismo
viggen61 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #15
KdParker
macrumors 68030

The iPads are a good idea, but wouldn't it be prudent to keep at least one hard copy of the manual onboard?
KdParker is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
Quote:
Because when a new iPad line comes out all others before it are unusable....

It's not like it will be used to play the latest gaming apps (well, hopefully)
chainprayer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:45 PM   #17
fedup flyer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
The iPads are a good idea, but wouldn't it be prudent to keep at least one hard copy of the manual onboard?
There has to be.
We have built in EFBs where I work and one full set of paper manuals are required by the Feds.
It is nice not to have to tote around all of manuals plus not having to do revisions is a HUGE bonus.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname View Post
I am a pilot for Delta Air Lines, and we are in the process of getting the same approval. .
Any clue as to what software they are using?
Is it the Jepp or something proprietary?
I am still not sold on the Jepp "Pro" app as I had had to many problems with it.
fedup flyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #18
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, it is a fantastic idea. The books get revised and updated every two weeks. If an iPad were updated every two years, it would still be a massive improvement and savings. Not to mention much more effective to use in the cockpit than a paper manual. Additionally, the books weigh about 80 lbs total. So the iPads pay for themselves in fuel savings. They aren't being used to play games, they are displaying PDF files. They don't have to upgraded with the same regularity as devices running more aggressive software. But they would save money, even if replaced annually.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:59 PM   #19
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Most recent tools in chip production (not Crunchips) run Win XP on Pentium IIIs. So put that in perspective. Don't think you can play angry birds with these iPads or do other things than access the flight books, maps...
It is cool! And there are two for redundancy.
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:03 PM   #20
pezj
macrumors member

What will this do to Dunder Mifflin's stock price?
pezj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:12 PM   #21
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You're right, after a new generation iPad is released, the older ones will suddenly no longer be able to display PDFs.
shurcooL is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:25 PM   #22
devilbond
macrumors member

Unfortunately the stewards/stewardesses will ask them to kindly switch their iPads off during take-off and landing.
devilbond is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #23
hodaka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
You're right, after a new generation iPad is released, the older ones will suddenly no longer be able to display PDFs.
Fail.
My 12 YO daughter has a first-gen iPad that does everything she wants it to. Games, Netflix, even PDFs and EPUBs. And we are currently on the fourth gen of the iPad - pretty good lifespan for this type of device, really. No, you can't load the latest iOS on it, but it still functions fine for a connected-happy pre-teen.
hodaka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:36 PM   #24
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaka View Post
Fail.
My 12 YO daughter has a first-gen iPad that does everything she wants it to. Games, Netflix, even PDFs and EPUBs. And we are currently on the fourth gen of the iPad - pretty good lifespan for this type of device, really. No, you can't load the latest iOS on it, but it still functions fine for a connected-happy pre-teen.
I think you missed the part where I was sarcastic and wanted to demonstrate the same thing you pointed out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbond View Post
Unfortunately the stewards/stewardesses will ask them to kindly switch their iPads off during take-off and landing.
Funny, but I don't think they need them during take off and landing anyway. It's during flights if something has to be looked up. They prepare for take off and landing and then do things off the top of their head + intstruments, there's no time to look at a book when you have to be looking through the window/at the instruments. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:57 PM   #25
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
True, if they end up crash-landing on an uncharted island that's shielded from detection by a mysterious force field, they will be stuck with obsolete technology, and possibly even run out of power. Under other circumstances, the technology will get upgraded, routinely, as needed.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion